What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First-Time Purchaser with the Obvious Questions  (Read 5426 times)

hotstuffbaby

First-Time Purchaser with the Obvious Questions
« on: June 01, 2006, 03:28:56 am »
Howdy All-

First time poster here, so I may show my ignorance.  Pardon moi if (more like WHEN) that happens.  

I'm what you would call a long-time researcher before I buy ANYTHING.  Besides that, (I think) I have a good excuse.  Still no solid foundation yet to set the hot tub on, so my procrastination in purchasing does make some sense.  I'm getting closer this summer to pouring a stamped concrete patio outside the side door of our home, so the hot tub decision is looming and I'm getting more and more ED-JU-KA-TED.  I'm excited about finally becoming one of the clandestine clan, calling myself "hot tub owner".  I still have so much to learn though, and there is SO MUCH to read!  There are WAY too many manufacturers out there for an over-achiever such as myself!!!

OK, so here's the deal.  I've been thinking about this somewhat casually for about a year, asking questions here and there, talking to a few dealers, and I know I have to get serious, do some comparison shopping on prices and overall, wet test- wet-test, west-test!  That has become REAL clear.

Here's some of what I'm thinking.  (This list is my top ten questions for now.  I'm sure I'll have another top ten later on...) Can some of you help me sort out these points I'm making and make some recommendations?

1) I'm prepared to spend about $5,000 - $7,500 for a mid-size tub - likely no smaller than 78" X 78"

2) My partner would likely use the tub occasionally, but it's most likely gonna be FOR ME!!  I LOVE hot water and soaking, so I suspect I'll be in there a lot.

3)  I will occasionally have a few friends here during the beautiful season (summer) - it's rains the rest of the year.  (yes, I'm in Oregon, okay?)  That means I will have the company of 1 -2, maybe 3 friends at the most in the tub with me.  But  mostly, it's gonna be mine, all mine.

4) thinking of a 4-5 person tub, maybe 6 only cuz I like to spread out, I like a roomy feeling, like to float, and hey, I'm not nearly as small as I once was, okay?

5) I've read about the efficiency of pumps and the water flow, and usually that more pumps (if they're true motors) means better energy efficiency, less wear and tear on one or two motors.  

6) I want a hydrotherapy experience for my tired and aching muscles and bones, neck jets for shoulder stress from typing all day, and foot jets for better circulation in my feet, leg jets to ease the painful places from sitting all day, and a variety of options for upper, mid- and lower back.  I'd like to be able to move around the tub for different sensations and massage options.

7) I haven't done a lot of price comparisons yet, but I'm willing to spend the money for a good quality product, yet I don't need all the bells and whistles.  No stereo, just the stars.  But some drink holders and lights might be a nice touch.  No need for the cadillac model.  Practical is what works with me, but I'm also gonna want to be happy with giving myself something special, so something above average in quality and design is what I'm after.  A high number of jets (not really high, but mid-range, like 40-80) will probably be fine with me.  

8) I'm concerned with the upkeep, so convenience and quality is a plus, but I don't want to increase my heating bill too crazy much, so energy efficiency is also a concern.

9)  I live in a wet climate and the hot tub will be in the side yard and won't have overhanging protection other than the hot tub cover.  Am I crazy to think I can get away with this.  It's a pretty shady area and fairly well forested.  Should I consider purchasing some kind of gazebo or portable dome or something to keep it out of the elements as much as possible?

10)  As far as design and quality goes, here's my first few stabs at what appeals to me:

a) Great Lakes Penta or Forte (did I hear the Ottawa was dropped this year?

b) Artesian Gold Line - something in a 5-6 person with lounger and deep footwell (Diamond or Opal)

c) Artesian Platinum Line - Heron Bay

d) Artesian Island Line - Antigua or Captiva

e) Cal Spas - 1602 model - haven't researched this one very much actually

I've read good things about Hot Springs models - particularly interested in Vanguard and Envoy.

Okay, this is plenty long.  Too many choices!  

Any thoughts here folks? Be kind to a newbie, and give it your best shot!

Thanks much-
HotStuff(ice ice)Baby

Hot Tub Forum

First-Time Purchaser with the Obvious Questions
« on: June 01, 2006, 03:28:56 am »

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
Re: First-Time Purchaser with the Obvious Question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 03:54:55 am »
6) I want a hydrotherapy experience for my tired and aching muscles and bones, neck jets for shoulder stress from typing all day, and foot jets for better circulation in my feet, leg jets to ease the painful places from sitting all day, and a variety of options for upper, mid- and lower back.  I'd like to be able to move around the tub for different sensations and massage options.

7) I haven't done a lot of price comparisons yet, but I'm willing to spend the money for a good quality product, yet I don't need all the bells and whistles.  No stereo, just the stars.  But some drink holders and lights might be a nice touch.  No need for the cadillac model.  Practical is what works with me, but I'm also gonna want to be happy with giving myself something special, so something above average in quality and design is what I'm after.  A high number of jets (not really high, but mid-range, like 40-80) will probably be fine with me.  

8) I'm concerned with the upkeep, so convenience and quality is a plus, but I don't want to increase my heating bill too crazy much, so energy efficiency is also a concern.

This is what I was looking for.
I got the Caldera Geneva. I do not regret that decision.
Caldera is generally considered one of the best spas around when it comes to hydrotherapy and quality - at least that's what I found out when doing my research.

Except for the drink holders.  :o I don't think any of the Calderas has that. But they do have beautiful lighting. :)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 05:31:11 am »
welcome aboard, you will learn so much here.

Answers

1. im sure you will find something in this price range.
2. find the tub that you like and wet test it before buying so you know how it feels.  If you love hot water then a tub is something you need.  
3.  Make sure you get enough seats.  Smaller tub is what you want, consider not getting lounger maybe.  That should give you enough room.
4. look for a more open seated structure instead of contoured seats then.  Some tubs have molded seating and others are more bench seating.
5. I dont think this is true.  If you stick with top brands you will get quality components and energy efficiency.
6. Again any top brand have theraputic features.  Each company has different approaches.  I am bias to arctic spas and each chair has a different massage.  Hotsprings have great therapy as well.  on that note so does jacuzzi, sundance, coleman, etc etc etc etc.  I thought the same way, but find now I hardly use my jets.  nice hot water is very relaxing on its own.
7. 40 to 80 is alot of jets.  I have a tub with 33 jets and that is more than enough for me.  LED lighting was a great option for us.  For the 15 to 30 min that you are in the tub, the jets are never used that long.  Most will tell you that you blast them for a bit then just relax.  There is always the option of a bar attachment for you.
8. If you are willing to pick from a top brand company then energy efficiency is all within pennies of one another.  Your bill will increase but they are all efficient.  tubs are very easy to maintain, once you get your chemicals down.  Maybe go with the synthetic skirts instead of cedar for no maitenance.  I love the cedar and only 1 hour a year to restain.
9. I went a full year in summer and winter before I decided.  I love the open air and looking out at the stars.  I love the cold snow falling down on us when we are in the tub, and the rain is nice on the face as long as it is not raining.  Try a full year before you decide, you will be suprised.
10. you are looking at great tubs.  All three tubs here have alot of followers here.  The thing you need to realize here is that we all love the tub we own and we stand by it.  So you will get bias from people.  I would strongly to encourage you to look at all brands available to you, wet test the ones you like and purchase on what one feels best for you.  Do not just buy one tub because people tell you it is great.  What is great for some is not for others.  

good luck and keep us posted

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:01:50 am »
Great picture Karl :)

The Caldera Moorea has many of the features of the Geneva and is lower in cost. You can get the LED lighting, just not the lights on the outside of the tub. The moorea had more cup holders than the Geneva.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 09:24:33 am »
Wecolme hotstuffbaby

I think your price range is adequate.  I think you'll be more towards the $7K than the $5K though. ;)  In addition to the concrete pad, squirrel away another $500 for electrical.

I think you want at the least a "6 seat spa" . Typically, a 6 seat spa doesn't equate to "seating 6 people at once comfortably. But  more like 4 folks.  

Yes, The hotsprings spas have an excellent reputation, and are considered to be the industry standard.  However, you may have to go over the $7K budget to get into them.

More motors (pumps) does not necessarly equate to a more efficent tub - running more pumps can be more expensive.  Nor does jet count = better threapy.  The style of the jets, thier placement, how they work and how they feel is the key. So how do you decide and factor everything in?

The wet test.

Stick to quality manufactuers. Avoid internet dealers, roadside sales, garage manufacters and rebranders.

Some of the other names that come quickly to mind are Hotsprings, Caldera,  Dimension 1 and Sundance.  Since you are in no rush, I'd take your time and  conisder all the major brand  dealers in your area.

Generally speaking, if you go with a major brand, and focus on the wet test, and pricing and dealer  you'll end up with a reliable, quality product that fits you.

As far as options, I'd ensure the tub you get has an ozinator  with a 24 hr circ pump. (I belive these greaty improve the quality of water and ease of care).

As far as a pergola or awning goes,  I'd suggest you wait on that and find the right tub for you.  Use it for a year, and if you decide that you'd like one, it would be no problem to pick on up in a year or two.

Drink holders are a great touch.  I've seen some tubs with fold out holders and these things look to me like they would snap off in a minute.  I prefer the molded drink holders.

The other thing I personaly think is important is a cool off seat (A seat higher than the others, where you can sit on and raise your self mostly out of the water).  These are great in  (and In my opinion) a must have feature espically if you soak in the winter  (who wants to set on the edge of the tub in the winter?)

Lighting, eh. All tubs have a least a light in the water.  On my Tiger River Caspain (may I suggest you take a look at that? It's in your price range and is a great tub) has a large underwater dome with dimmer. It's works fine.  Don't go nuts about the light feature.

Wet test several tubs.  Buy quality! Wet Test!

:D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 09:29:55 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 10:29:46 am »
Already, you have a WEALTH of info provided to your post.  

If I may, I'd like to add to your search and give a ringing endorsement to my SUNDANCE BAHIA spa delivered in April of this year.

It's a wet floor model w/stereo cd, listed as 6-7 (more like 4-5) w/jet pod in the center of the floor for the feet.  It, in a word, is AWESOME!  So far, we love the spa.  Plenty of jets and each corner seat offers different therapy options.  

Sundance has a great reputation and going with a previous year wet floor model saved us nearly $1800 off list (spent $5999) and still have full factory warranty.  May be an option for you as well.

Anyhow, the quote from my wife was "I knew I'd like the spa but I didn't realize just how much.  I'm ADDICTED!".  So....enjoy your search and have fun.  This site (and those that post here) was/is invaluable.
Better than I deserve...

hymbaw

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 11:37:50 am »
I'm a little biased but I'm with luvin'.........Sundance Bahia.
It's a lot of spa for the $$. $7000 at my store btw.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 11:54:45 am »

1) I'm prepared to spend about $5,000 - $7,500 for a mid-size tub - likely no smaller than 78" X 78"

You'll be able to get something nice in that price range but 78" square is hardly what I would consider "mid-sized". That is 7'4" square which in the "large" spa category so I think you'll fnd many at the upper end of your range (or above). You get one chance to do this right so if you're hitting your budget ceiling look to drop some of the bells and whistles rather than looking at lesser quality tubs that promise you everything but don't hold up over time. Quality of the spa should always be #1. From your list, Artesian has a good reputation, I'm not too sure on Great Lakes (hear conflicting info) but I can't say I'm a Cal Spas fan (they're known for meeting your price point but not falling short on quality and service). Take your time, shop around and keep an open mind when you're being blasted with information.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 11:57:55 am »

You'll be able to get something nice in that price range but 78" square is hardly what I would consider "mid-sized". That is 7'4" square which in the "large" spa category so I think you'll fnd many at the upper end of your range (or above). You get one chance to do this right so if you're hitting your budget ceiling look to drop some of the bells and whistles rather than looking at lesser quality tubs that promise you everything but don't hold up over time. Quality of the spa should always be #1. From your list, Artesian has a good reputation, I'm not too sure on Great Lakes (hear conflicting info) but I can't say I'm a Cal Spas fan (they're known for meeting your price point but not falling short on quality and service). Take your time, shop around and keep an open mind when you're being blasted with information.

FWIW,  the D1 dealer around the block from me started carrying the Great lake tubs....from the entire 2 seconds I looked at them, they struck me as....cheap.  The flip out cup holders, the cabinet seemed flimsly/loose.  
Anyone got one?
07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 12:21:26 pm »
Where in Oregon are you?  My parents are in the middle of nowhere about an hour SE of Portland.  They got their Sundance (well it was a Sweetwater then) from George Morlan (The water heater king...) of all places.  This was probably back in March 04 and they got an 03 closeout model... but they got it cheap (like $3500).  Way cheaper than I could find here in SoCal.  They had one problem with it and the dealer helped em out no problem.  They did have to pay a trip charge because they came out and the wiring wasn't up to code (they had the same wiring from their first tub 20 years earlier) so the guys wouldn't work on it until it was to code.  But other than that they are very happy with it.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 12:22:31 pm »
Where in Oregon are you?  My parents are in the middle of nowhere about an hour SE of Portland.  They got their Sundance (well it was a Sweetwater then) from George Morlan (The water heater king...) of all places.  This was probably back in March 04 and they got an 03 closeout model... but they got it cheap (like $3500).  Way cheaper than I could find here in SoCal.  They had one problem with it and the dealer helped em out no problem.  They did have to pay a trip charge because they came out and the wiring wasn't up to code (they had the same wiring from their first tub 20 years earlier) so the guys wouldn't work on it until it was to code.  But other than that they are very happy with it.

These are the no bumper people ? Boy, do they find the deals.  
:)
07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 12:55:14 pm »
LMAO.  No, the no bumper folks are the inlaws.  ;D

These are the no bumper people ? Boy, do they find the deals.  
 :)

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 07:46:22 pm »
I'd stick with a reputable dealer/brand.  I own an Artesian Island Grand Cayman and very much like it.  I don't know much about the other brands you've mentioned except that HotSprings gets rave reviews.

Wet test a few.

You should have no problem finding a tub in your price range.

A 7ft. tub is plenty big.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 09:21:01 pm »
Envoy and Vanguard may be a little above your threshold, but you should definitely check out the Tiger River Caspian.  I hate to say this too loudly, but I like it better than the Vanguard.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 10:33:29 pm »
Do yourself a favor and look at Marquis.  They are manufactured in Independence OR.  There are Marquis Casual Living stores in Portland and Salem, but there are great Marquis Dealers all over the state.  Take a look at the Ultimate 530 or Ultimate 630.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 10:33:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42