What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine Spa Frog  (Read 4028 times)

cappykat

Bromine Spa Frog
« on: May 30, 2006, 08:41:35 pm »
Is anyone refilling their used bromine cartridges?  If so, what are you using?  I'm on my last cartridge and before I order again thought I might try refilling them.
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine Spa Frog
« on: May 30, 2006, 08:41:35 pm »

Wolf_Racer

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Bromine Spa Frog
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 09:46:13 pm »
I am using the bromine tablets from home depot. It is exactly the same stuff, just in a tablet. After you get the spa frog open very easy to do. You might have to adjust the number a little different than with a new one, but it works great. I have been using it for a few months with no issues. Works just like the new ones and a lot cheaper.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 10:34:19 pm »
Cappy, I had no luck getting my cartridges open. they were glued shut...but I understand that they are now making the bromine in cartridges that last a lot longer. Maybe you should check with your dealer first, it may be more economical to get the new cartridges then to try to open the old ones. I have the water thing down now, so I think I will just buy new cartridges rather than to learn how to adjust that frog! I am going to my dealer tomorrow and I will find out about the new ones ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 10:52:38 pm »
There is a new bromine cartridge available from your Marquis dealer that costs about the same but has 30% more bromine in it.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 11:20:19 pm »
This subject got discussed earlier and the people who make the frog tried to pressure people to stop taking about it. oddly enough, they stopped posting!  I'm just saying.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

uncommonlytasty

• I love my cheep spa
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 07:48:33 am »
The frog people also make a mineral filter insert.  Rather then messing with a used bromine cartridge, you could use a traditional bromine floater with the mineral filter insert.  

cappykat

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 08:38:41 am »
Wmccall...yes, I remember well.  I just wanted to know who might be refilling and what they are using.  Not trying to "beat a dead horse".
2005 Marquis Epic

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 02:36:27 pm »
Cappy, I got the new cartridges, they are supposed to last a lot longer but just like DPS said, they cost the same.  They are packaged in green containers.
I am  finding that I am using much less bromine since I am running my tub in economy mode. It injects less bromine..So far (thankfully) so good. Have you switched your tub to economy yet?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 04:38:50 pm »
Wmccall...yes, I remember well.  I just wanted to know who might be refilling and what they are using.  Not trying to "beat a dead horse".

No problem, I see no problem discussing it, I was just making light of their attempt at censorship.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

cappykat

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 04:49:28 pm »
Boni, no I haven't but I will.  When we left to go to Jax with the family emergency I guess the bromine was empty so when we came back the water was slightly cloudy.  I shocked it pretty good and it's ok now.  

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 04:53:11 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 04:52:37 pm »
Cappy, When my kid started doing that with his eyes, I got him new glasses...best check on that kitty!

cappykat

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 04:55:51 pm »
My "cappy" is almost human, but if he starts doing that we're off to the America's Funniest Videos!!
2005 Marquis Epic

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 09:08:26 pm »
cappycat,
I have been refilling my cartridges since the beginning of the year and its been working well.
Is there a Leslie's Pool Supply around? I have been buying bromine tablets for refilling my frog cartridge from them.
By the way, it is the exact formulation with the exact percentage (96% bromine and 4% other ingredients. The type of bromine is 1-Bromo-3-Chloro-5,5-Dimethylhydantoin) as is found in the cartridges.
I checked before I bought. I love the fact I'm saving $$$.
Here's an earlier thread on this subject.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 09:11:58 pm »
Phil, Hang on to those old cartridges because you can't get them apart anymore. I busted several trying to get the top off. They have glued them on.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 06:46:51 am »
Phil, Hang on to those old cartridges because you can't get them apart anymore. I busted several trying to get the top off. They have glued them on.

Bonibelle,
That's what I've heard. I have two of them and that's more than enough for now. Maybe someone will figure out a cheap alternative.
So much for new and improved!  >:(

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 06:46:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42