What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What about mud jacking VS Shims?  (Read 3286 times)

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
What about mud jacking VS Shims?
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:37:33 am »
Gombomans post on shims started me thinking about my own level issues I have with my tub.  I have about a 2" decline on a free standing octagon concete pad.  The pad was originally designed to have a pool on it partially filed with water during the winter months.  This kept an evenly distibuted weight (and covered the majority of surface) on the pad throughout the seasons and prevented heaves.  It worked until we re-lanscaped and removed the pool and left the pad empty for a year. Now I have an unlevel pad that I thought was level until we dropped a Maxxus on it.  So, rather than shimming it, I thought I could mudjack the low end.  Mudjacking is a process where they drill through the concrete and pump a sludge mixture under the pad and lift it.  I thought this would be a better solution offering more support for the entire frame of he tub verses shims?  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:19:09 am by Campsalot »

Hot Tub Forum

What about mud jacking VS Shims?
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:37:33 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: What about mud jacking?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 01:00:14 pm »
Don't see why it wouldn't work.  Would you have to either empty the spa or remove it, or could they jack it with the full load on there?  I've only seen mud jacking done on slabs that didn't have heavy weights on them.

Brewman

Campsalot

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 11:14:43 pm »
I think they can do it with the spa on it.  I don't know for sure. I also don't know the cost and need to check on that as well.  I just wanted to know if anyone tried this remedy vs shims.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 09:51:53 am »
Wouldn't shims be 1/10th of the cost?

Campsalot

Re: What about mud jacking vs shims?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 10:18:33 am »
Yes, I suppose they would be.  My thoughts regarding shims is the Maxxus is a big tub.  I'm not at all sure I could even lift the bugger to shim it.  What do you shim it with?  
Also, the mud jacking could prevent  future heaves by eliminating low areas under the slab that hold moisture.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: What about mud jacking VS Shims?
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 11:09:57 am »
Personally, I'd go with something like mud jacking- the shim thing probably is ok, but that kind of thing bothers me.  
Much in the way that putting sugar packets or folded cardboard under a wobbly table leg bothers me.  

If you do go with the mud jack, let us know how it goes- both cost wise, and effectiveness.  I'm very interested especially if they can lift the slab with that full spa on it.
Brewman

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 12:29:11 pm »
Yes, I suppose they would be.  My thoughts regarding shims is the Maxxus is a big tub.  I'm not at all sure I could even lift the bugger to shim it.  What do you shim it with?  
Also, the mud jacking could prevent  future heaves by eliminating low areas under the slab that hold moisture.

The idea of shimming at just certain points would bother me. I know HS (I think) says it can be done on their tubs but I would still be concerned. I ended up taking the suggestion of my dealer and pouring a full concrete shim. You would have to move the tub but I like it and it (theoretically) can be removed from your pad should you ever decide to get rid of the tub or move.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1143231808;start=1
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 12:29:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42