What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mosquitos!  (Read 2945 times)

loneoak

• Perception is more important than reality
Mosquitos!
« on: May 27, 2006, 03:46:11 pm »
We have had about 2 weeks of rain here, and now we have a bumper crop of mosquitos.  All we do now is swat them while trying to relax in the tub.

This week when I'm in the city I am going to pick up a couple of mosquito nets which you put over your head - either over a hat or bare-headed.  Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Anyone else found a way to deal with this problem?  (those who have hot tubs outside).

Astrid.

Hot Tub Forum

Mosquitos!
« on: May 27, 2006, 03:46:11 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Mosquitos!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 04:05:45 pm »
There are some things that seem to work.

The mosquito magnet is supposed to be excellent at keeping the population down. It runs on propane and runs 24/7.

Something that I have tried was the candle lantern that burns a chemical pad. Each one is good for about 15 Sq ft. It seemed to work OK.

If you into more natural things ... bats! A few bats flying around will take care of A LOT of mosquitos. On a serious note I believe that mosquitos come out at dusk and dawn to feed, rearranging your soaking time to a different time may help.

loneoak

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 04:45:13 pm »
I am in every morning and my husband & I go in every evening.  Soaking during the day in summer just doesn't do it for us.  :P

The mosquito trap that runs on propane sounds really cool and we've looked into it, but they are pretty expensive.

Is this recent technology where the price may come down in a year or so?

Astrid.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 04:51:27 pm »
I think they've been out for about 3 years or so. I would think eventually it will come down if mass produced. There are a few brands out there and I thought that you can get one for about $200 but I've never researched it.

loneoak

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 05:10:39 pm »
There are different sized ones, depending on how large an area you want to do - like 1/2 acre, 1 acre, etc. with the price going up for the larger areas.

For a hot tub, you don't need a big one, but if you are going to invest in something like this, you may as well consider other activities in your yard and how big a one you need.  

We have 30 acres here but mow about 2 acres and sometimes have parties outside.  We would want a 1 acre size, and now they are around $350 - $400 Cdn.

It's on our wish list.  The head covers are only $9 each, so for now, we are going to go with those.

Haven't found the citronella candles to be effective at all.

Astrid.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 05:22:47 pm »
You can try this:

http://www.offprotects.com/mosquito-repeller/

It isn't citronella and I think it goes for $20.00

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 05:31:08 pm »
I hate to say this, but I'm sure glad we don't have mosquitoes in our area. I don't think I've ever seen one. My wife is from the Chicago area. When we go back home to visit we have to slather on the repellent so I feel for you.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

loneoak

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 05:36:47 pm »
Vinny, we borrowed one of those one eveing when we were outside with friends.  Our mosquitos were not affected.

Gomboman, where are you located?

Astrid.

riddler

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 09:29:28 pm »
Maybe build a screenroom around your tub. It will keep everything that flies outside and you can soak in peace !!

loneoak

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 05:34:34 am »
We thought of that before we got the tub, but like it so much in the open in the winter that we decided not to do that after we bought it.  You cannot see the stars with an enclosure.

Astrid.

FiSh

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 07:28:10 am »
you can also look up the projected mosquito activity in your area so you can schedule your tubbing for the best time. good luck! FiSh

FiSh

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 07:29:24 am »
on the internet

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 07:29:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42