What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealer fees for fairs...  (Read 4763 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Dealer fees for fairs...
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:14:33 am »
Could some of you dealers share with me the typical negoiation for selling tubs at fairs? I am a board member for our community fair that will take place in October. this year we are trying to increase attendance by adding all sorts of interesting different things. So in addition to cows and lamas, and farm tractors, we have invited hardscaping companies to compete for prizes.  This gives them free advertising also. I was thinking about asking my dealer to bring a tub or two up. Since our fair is a non-profit community event, we typically charge a percentage from "for profit" vendors. But the dealer would not, per say, be a vendor, but rather a display(er). and probably sales would not occur on site, but after a visit to the showroom. What would be a fair consideration to ask from this dealer?  I would love to give my excellent dealer this forum, but I also need to make it a financially positive thing for the fair. Any thoughts?  thanks
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Dealer fees for fairs...
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:14:33 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Dealer fees for fairs...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:57:27 am »
I have been down this road. Anyone who displays should be charged the exact same amount - perhaps a simple rent- per square foot. Otherwise you have to somehow monitor what the sales are from all the vendors to collect your fee, and it is very easy for them to scoot the sale over to a local showroom so you get nothing.

If you want this dealer to come, offer them a lower rent for the first year only. Make it contingant upon having them advertise. You will reap the benefits of that advertising, of course, and then you can mention spas in your list of attractions in your own advertising. But don't take the chance of angering other vendors.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 11:00:36 am »
So iuf they made a tax deductable donation, they woudl be allowed to set up a tent?

Hmmm.  how do dealers handle power and water at fairs?
07 Caldera Geneva

MarKee

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 12:10:32 pm »
generators

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:34:04 pm »
Drew, You are thinking like I am...a deductable donation. I am really not out to make money, because as I said..this is a non-profit event. I think adding a hot tub to the display gives a special kind of elegance to the hardscaping. Since this is new, I would just like to approach my dealer and not make it into a spa sale...just a special attraction.  I just have to be sure that it is worth while for them to bring in a tub. The event is at a school so as long as they didn't need the 220 hook-up, we can easily accomodate electric needs.
thanks, I think I will present this to the board and then talk to my dealer. I really want a tub at the fair ;)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 12:40:42 pm »
We pay $1500 to rent a 20x30 booth at the local fair.  We're fortunate in that the man in charge of the fair is one of our customers (Grandee) and he provides us with 2 permanent 220V hookups and power for the motor home.  We set up inside the exhibit hall with the exception of last year when it was commandeered by 6 Katrina refugees, but that's another story.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 01:16:43 pm »
The wheels are rolling and it looks like this will be a first for our fair. The committee president is contacting board members rigt now to give me the go ahead to approach my dealer. Hopefully, he will be interested and see the opportunity. I'm betting that the landscaper with the tub, will win the contest this year!..Maybe they can work on package deals! I will surely post pictures...thanks guys  ;)

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 01:42:31 pm »
We did the Del Mar Fair (which is one of the biggest Fair's in the country) for 27 years. They used to charge us a flat fee based on sq footage and that was fine, they raised the price steadily over time, then 3 years ago they decided to put them up for auction so my booth which used to cost me $25,000 for three weeks (20 x 50) was sold for $100,000 to so out of town low budget spa manufactuer.

Our fair used to be filled with the local dealers of Hot Springs, Caldera, Jacuzzi, D1 and Catalina or Cal.

Now it's Spa Depot, Master, Phoenix, Dynasty etc...

It's too bad, because the people that end up losing are the consumer and because of the overhead, they are paying $7000-$8000 for these brands of spas and are thinking they are getting a "great deal"

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 02:04:58 pm »
That is not even a remotely what I had in mind.  I am just trying to generate interest and give folks something visually appealing that is new to our small community event! I do believe there is tremendous sale potential for my dealer, (or I wouldn't even think of asking him to come) but the focus is a farm show ( with a bit of class for those who aren't into cows and lamas)!
The reality is that this area is rapidly being developed from a small farming community to a suburb of $700,000+ housing developments. It becomes tough to cater to all interests and preserve this 85 year old tradition. Enter...elegant landscaping and a hot tub...(especially useful for those of us with Lyme disease!) ;)

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 02:15:59 pm »
Bonnibelle, it sounds good to me, if I was your dealer I would go. Fairs are great if the price is right. That's all I was trying to say....

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 03:43:55 pm »
Thanks, Sandiego, I just meant that our fair is very small, community oriented and we are working hard to keep it alive. It makes me angry that the big box stores have to push everyone aside because they are powered by huge corporations with lots of money. >:(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 03:43:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42