What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: TA off the charts?  (Read 2142 times)

srlollar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
TA off the charts?
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:38:53 pm »
OK  I'm on my second refill and have a question on TA.  From the first fill I have had to use an enormous amount of Leisure TIme Spa Down.  A whole bottle to be exact.  Is this normal?  I do not have well water.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

TA off the charts?
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:38:53 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: TA off the charts?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 08:54:09 pm »
Lets hear the specifics, where was the TA when you started, what about the PH?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

srlollar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 08:55:21 pm »
I am only using test strips.  According to the strips it is over 180.  pH appears to be in line.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 09:09:46 pm »
I am only using test strips.  According to the strips it is over 180.  pH appears to be in line.

Test strips are hard under ideal circumstances.  I'd find another method.  Most recommend a Taylor Test kit. I use a cheaper alternative, a test kit from HTH that is available from Walmart for around $14.  Another thought, when making PH or Alk adjustments, start small and check again in 12 hours. Those adjustments take a while to register and you don't want to create a yo-yo effect.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

srlollar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 12:38:52 am »
Thanks-I'll try that

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 08:41:40 am »
When I was using Spa Guard PH down it took me 3lbs (1.5 big bottles) to bring my PH and Akalinity in.  The water around here is very high ph.  My service tech told me off the record what he does on his.  He uses muriatic acid.  I have been using it for about 3yrs now.  I now get my balance in usually first try.  I pour acid into a 5 gallon bucket full of water and then pour it into the center of the hot tub with the power off and the water still.  Let sit for 10 minutes and then power back up and turn jets on.  I do not take a reading for 1 week.  I may have to make a small adjustment but usually hit it right on.  I pour acid slowly and count so I don't know exactly what amount I use but it is probably around 3 cups.  I know they say you should not use muriatic acid in a hot tub but after doing it for 3 years now I can not tell any damage it has done.  My tech said he has used it for around 8yrs now.  I guess maybe I will pay for it some day but it is sure nice not having to fight it for a month trying to get  the balance in anymore.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:43:48 am »
 I can see the potential for this product, as long as the person using it is aware of the dangers and take appropriate precautions.  
I'm thinking of using it on my next water change- our tap water is very high in alkalinity, and I have to add about 22 ounces of Ph decrease to get in range.  Thinking prudent use of muratic acid may be in order.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:43:48 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42