What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: In store filter cleaning?  (Read 3287 times)

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
In store filter cleaning?
« on: May 19, 2006, 07:35:30 pm »
We provide the service of cleaning spa filters for customers at our store. I'm sure you'll ask, so this is what we do.
$15.00 for up to (3) watkins filters, $5.00 each additional.
$10.00 for up to (2) filters-up to 13" tall, $5.00 each additional.
$15.00 for (1) filter-over 14" tall, $10.00 each additional.

Chlorine,bromine,- filters are rinsed, go into cleaning tank for 24hrs, rinsed- ready for pickup. Tank holds solution of high alkaline chlorine, Tide detergent and environmentally-friendly TSP.

SoftSoak/Baquaspa filters are cleaned in special cleaner.

If someone buys new set of filters- old filters are cleaned for free- one time.

Do any other dealers provide something similar? And if so, how do you handle it.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

In store filter cleaning?
« on: May 19, 2006, 07:35:30 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: In store filter cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 08:09:50 pm »
We offer to throw the old filters away - at no charge - with purchase of new filters.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 10:54:35 pm »
We had some customers coming in to buy new filters on a regular basis and we asked why they were buying so many only to be told they throw them out.  We began telling our customers to bring their dirty filters in for a cleaning and they did, it was cheaper for them in the long run.

We sell them a filter and a habermac to carry their filter in and back with.  We charge $25 to do what they don't want to do for themselves.  Why not, many people take their shirts to the laundry.  Considering the materials we use and the pressure washer to spray them clean, many of our customers started asking for their filters to be cleaned.

Some do, some don't.  We all like it that way and there are no complaints.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 11:00:06 pm »
We provide the service of cleaning spa filters for customers at our store. I'm sure you'll ask, so this is what we do.
Chlorine,bromine,- filters are rinsed, go into cleaning tank for 24hrs, rinsed- ready for pickup. Tank holds solution of high alkaline chlorine, Tide detergent and environmentally-friendly TSP.

So basically you throw the filters in a front load washing machine with some bleach (PH of 13), Tide and TSP. What cycle do you use - permenant press or extra dirty! ;)

I wonder if the dry cleaners up the block will clean my filters ...

alwaysperky

• Hail the flashlight king!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 06:31:12 am »
I know of one shop where they will clean your filters for free as long as you purchase your chemicals from them.  They take your phone number every time you buy something in the store to keep track of how good a customer you are. ::)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 10:45:54 am »
I've had about 3 customers ask me to clean their filters for them.  I did it.  No charge.  It's just not something folks around here ask for.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

J._McD

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 11:05:32 am »
I've had about 3 customers ask me to clean their filters for them.  I did it.  No charge.  It's just not something folks around here ask for.

Terminator

Did you clean the filters, or did you have someone else clean them?  Or, do you just run them through the diswasher there at the store?   ???

While on the other hand, IF they wanted their guns cleaned, that could take some time and you might have to charge for that service ;) ;D.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 12:50:03 pm »
No dishwasher at the store but me. ;D

As far as cleaning guns?  Shoot, I'd pay THEM to let me clean them. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 12:54:20 pm »
You know, I'm giving this some thought. This might be one more of those many times where I have gotten a good idea from this board.

I am going to buy a tub for soaking filters in. There is a shower stall in the upstairs bathroom in our store - I bet I could put the filters on one of those spinner things and just close the door. There are better ones than this, but this is the first one I found an image of:

Or maybe even a sandblast box: you know, the type with the gloves built in and a window on the front? A tub for soaking them would be no biggy - I could drain the used stuff right into the same drain.

Hmm. Thinking...

Thanks for the ideas!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 12:55:11 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 02:17:20 pm »
Just another thought, we soak the filters in a cleaning agent overnight and the pressure wash them with low pressure.

Our secret is simple, ( no pics to share here) we place the filter on a short length of 2" PVC that fits over the trailer hitch hook up on the service vans.  We use a large plastic garbage can cut away on one side and stand in it.  As the filter spins and sprays, the water hits the plastic can that we stand in and we stay clean and dry.  No rocket science here.

Over time you tend to develope a system.  As for charging any $$'s for the service, you can do it free if you wish, that would be nice, or:

1) they can do it for themselves which most do less efficiently or effectively,

2) have us do it for them, no mess, no fuss, or

3) throw the filter out and buy new filters regularly like they were doing.  That just seemed to be a waste of their money in our opinion and we offered the service.  

People are will to pay and even tip for good service, and that is what we are in business for, not the tips but to give good service. ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 02:17:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42