What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 5746 times)

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Help please
« on: May 15, 2006, 02:59:58 pm »
Hi, I am new to this board and appreciate all the knowledge each of you provide. This website has been a tremendous help.

We are looking for our first hot tub. We are a family of four. We are looking for a good hot tub that will last and grow with us. We do not need a cd player or tv. I do plan on doing a wet test based on all your recommendations.

I do not have any local spa dealers around, all are 50 miles plus away with the exception of one who is horrible. From the research I have done I am attracted to the Tiger River Bengal and also like the Hydro Spa Lexxus(not to be confused with Hydropool). Both models appear to be reputable and in my price range.

Does anyone have any feedback on the above models or additional recommendations in the $5k range (for spa only, electric and supplies I have calculated additionally)? Also, the Hydro Spa dealer told me to get my electric run after the spa is installed since hard wiring is needed, the HotSPring dealer told me to have the electrical done prior to installation. Which is correct?

Thanks for your help!

Hot Tub Forum

Help please
« on: May 15, 2006, 02:59:58 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 03:13:10 pm »
Can't comment on the spa models, but for your electrical, it's true that in most cases you'd be looking at hard wiring for a spa.

You'd want to settle on a specific spa model before having wiring done, to be sure the wiring is correct- there are different configurations for wiring.  If you want your spa hooked up and tested at the time of delivery, you'll want your wiring in before delivery of the spa.

I'd discuss the particulars with your spa delivery people in conjunction with your electrician to see what makes the most sense.

Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 03:29:07 pm »
The $5K range is tough price point.  When first shopping  I wanted to be around there too, but  really had a difficult time finding what I wanted.

I think the Tiger River (made by Watkins) is a superior manufactuer and dealership in gerneral. Although, as you can see compared to the Hydro, it's a lot thinner on features.

The hydro has more features, but I'd think not so much in the quality department, IMHO.   You know, a little more sizzle, (but not more steak).

When I was shopping for a tub, electrical consumption and insualtion was a major factor, and the full foamed design with  the tiger river I felt is superior to the Theramal pane insulation that I belive is on the Hydro tub. (Artic tub owners claim there TP design is just as good, if not better than Full foam, but I  don't think that's appicable here, you're not looking at an Artic.)  Youre looking at a budget tub, and I honestly would be hesitent to go with TP technology on a budget tub.

My first tub was nordic. It was small,  had only 12 jets, but I loved it.  I got rid of it because electrical cost were through the roof.  But my point here is, you can really enjoy yourself and have a great time in a tub without a lot of fancy jets.  If therapy was a big concern I would recomend you'd increase your budget.  At your budget, don't even consider a tub that offers fancy lighting or radios, if you get a tub at that price, chances are, you're not getting a quality unit.

Anyhow,  If insulation is a concern (outside tub in a chilly region) I'd go with the Tiger River, and upgrade to the 220 option.  I'd also recomend an ozinator.

When you are looking at tubs in this price range, make sure the price includes Cover, lifter, steps and delivery.

There are other tubs in your price range, and I am sure some more folks will jump in with options.

Good luck and keep asking questions and let us know how you are doing.    :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 03:31:49 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 03:38:08 pm »
Artesian Island

These guys make a nice spa in the $5,000 price range.

See page 4 or 5 of this insert (i forget which page has the spas).

http://www.poolplaceonline.com/grand_opening_insert.pdf
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 03:43:31 pm »
Artesian Island

These guys make a nice spa in the $5,000 price range.

See page 4 or 5 of this insert (i forget which page has the spas).

http://www.poolplaceonline.com/grand_opening_insert.pdf

That Antigua model catches my eye. Are these decent tubs for the money ?
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 03:47:47 pm »
The $5K range is tough price point.  When first shopping  I wanted to be around there too, but  really had a difficult time finding what I wanted.

I think the Tiger River (made by Watkins) is a superior manufactuer and dealership in gerneral. Although, as you can see compared to the Hydro, it's a lot thinner on features.

The hydro has more features, but I'd think not so much in the quality department, IMHO.   You know, a little more sizzle, (but not more steak).

When I was shopping for a tub, electrical consumption and insualtion was a major factor, and the full foamed design with  the tiger river I felt is superior to the Theramal pane insulation that I belive is on the Hydro tub. (Artic tub owners claim there TP design is just as good, if not better than Full foam, but I  don't think that's appicable here, you're not looking at an Artic.)  Youre looking at a budget tub, and I honestly would be hesitent to go with TP technology on a budget tub.

My first tub was nordic. It was small,  had only 12 jets, but I loved it.  I got rid of it because electrical cost were through the roof.  But my point here is, you can really enjoy yourself and have a great time in a tub without a lot of fancy jets.  If therapy was a big concern I would recomend you'd increase your budget.  At your budget, don't even consider a tub that offers fancy lighting or radios, if you get a tub at that price, chances are, you're not getting a quality unit.

Anyhow,  If insulation is a concern (outside tub in a chilly region) I'd go with the Tiger River, and upgrade to the 220 option.  I'd also recomend an ozinator.

When you are looking at tubs in this price range, make sure the price includes Cover, lifter, steps and delivery.

There are other tubs in your price range, and I am sure some more folks will jump in with options.

Good luck and keep asking questions and let us know how you are doing.    :D

This is one of the best responses on the board I have seen.  It is from a spa owner/user, not a dealer.  It is thoughtful and addresses tmknies1's questions.

Thanks, Drewstar. :)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 03:49:42 pm »

I think a few others have or can attest to the Artesian hot tubs as being reputable manufacturer and well made.

I own one of the Artesian Island Grand Caymans.  The Antigua is their mid sized 7 foot spas. Antigua has  a lounger and the Cayman is a bit larger 8 foot model.  I found that getting the larger size was not all that expensive (seems the real costs are in jets and pumps).

We very much enjoy ours.  Yes, it is not top of the line and there are other makes and models out there that are nicer, but we were in the market for a $5,000 hot tub.  Of all the spas we looked at in our price range, it was very clear that the Artesian Island Spas were the head of the class.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 03:58:25 pm by TN__HOT_TUB »
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 03:58:26 pm »

This is one of the best responses on the board I have seen.  It is from a spa owner/user, not a dealer.  It is thoughtful and addresses tmknies1's questions.

Thanks, Drewstar. :)

Why thank you Dan.  I apprecaite the nice words.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 04:22:05 pm »
I wouldn't count out pre-owned models either, $5000 can go a long way towards some of the more premium models if you buy used.  Make sure to ask the dealers about those options, they may not always be displayed on the showroom floor.

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 04:32:14 pm »
Thank you all! I will keep you posted as I continue my qwest. I wish I had more dealers locally.  Just from reading this forum I have found how valuable a good dealer can be. :)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 05:13:04 pm »

The Island series is a great tub IMO. They can be configured with how many pumps and jets as you may want. If you go to Artesian's website they show the configs that are available under the models.

What TN__HOT_TUB says about the "nicer looking" tubs, I guess it's a matter of preference but I have to say (again my opinion) the Island tubs look every bit as nice as any other tub I've seen. When I bought mine, I had it look like the Piper Glen that was in the dealer's showroom. Mine has SS rings and is in the silver marble color - looks great. As a matter of fact I thought for a secondary line of tubs they had a tremendous selection of shell colors, most secondary lines had 3 or 4.

I opted for the most pumps/jets that could have been had at the time and it cost me about $6700 but if I remember correctly there wasn't too much price difference between pumps and jets and sizes - maybe $500 each level. I guess for an Antiqua with less pumps and jets I could have bought for about $5500 back in Oct 2004 here in NJ.

anne

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 05:17:47 pm »
Drewstar could not have summed up everything any better. Excellent post, and very useful. I, too, started out wanting to spend no more than 4-5K, and it is easy to be distracted by brands that offer lots of bells and whistles for so much less than some of the other guys. I was lucky enough to up my price point (tax return!) but Tiger River and Artesian Island were both initial contenders for me, based on my reading here. (Search back though the last several months for any key words- super helpful)  
Dance like nobody's watching

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 09:25:37 pm »
Check out Marquis' Everyday Hot Tub series.  They have the quality of Marquis, but lower price points.  Some correspond with models in the Marquis line with price points usually $1500 to $2000 lower.  The Ultimate package is available on the Everyday Hot Tub models and adds some luxury features found on Marquis models.

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 09:03:09 am »
Good morning,

I found an Artesian dealer not to far from our home, only a 20 minute drive. The tubs look beautiful. The Antigua has many jets and is very comfortable (dry sit), very deep tub. I am struggling with the dealership a bit. It appears to be a pool and supply service shop that has two hot tubs in a makeshift storefront. The girl behind the counter was extremely pleasant but needed the owner to anwser any questions, he wasn't there.  They also do not provide wet tests.

My husband and I are taking a roadtrip to a Hot Spring/Caldera dealer on Sunday.

Again, thanks for everyone's help and insight!

Tammy

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 09:09:03 am »
Good morning,

I found an Artesian dealer not to far from our home, only a 20 minute drive. The tubs look beautiful. The Antigua has many jets and is very comfortable (dry sit), very deep tub. I am struggling with the dealership a bit. It appears to be a pool and supply service shop that has two hot tubs in a makeshift storefront. The girl behind the counter was extremely pleasant but needed the owner to anwser any questions, he wasn't there.  They also do not provide wet tests.

My husband and I are taking a roadtrip to a Hot Spring/Caldera dealer on Sunday.

Again, thanks for everyone's help and insight!

Tammy

That's great Tammy.  Definatly shop around and see what different tubs have to offer.  Ask questions,  do research and you'll find the right spa for you.    :D
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 09:09:03 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42