What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dissolving Head rests  (Read 21248 times)

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
Dissolving Head rests
« on: May 08, 2006, 10:39:20 am »
Okay guys, take a shot at this one!  3 of the 4 headrests I have in my 05 Sundance Maxxus are dissolving.  This tub is not 1 year old and I really kind of bummed about this.

The water chemistry is kept balanced and is always good.  The tub is not used a tremendous amount, maybe 3 times per month.  I have a bromine floater and keep it set at about 3 (very minimal total bromine usually 2 to 3ppm) and I change the water every 9 weeks.
I'm thinking the warranty needs to replace these babies.  Also, why just are just 3 of the 4 headrests  dissolving?

Hot Tub Forum

Dissolving Head rests
« on: May 08, 2006, 10:39:20 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Dissolving Head rests
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:50:05 am »
Do you have Ozone?

Are your pillows constantly in the water (I was told to keep the  water level just below the pillows).

Both of the above will effect the pillows longevity. Also, are you cleaning these with some harsh chemical?

07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 10:52:59 am »
One of the secrets of the spa industry:

Pillows head rests in warm steamy chemical environment deteriorate.  They are consumable items, generally not covered by warranties. :-[
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 11:02:22 am »
One of the secrets of the spa industry:

Pillows head rests in warm steamy chemical environment deteriorate.  They are consumable items, generally not covered by warranties. :-[

They do fade but the material used nowadays should not deteriorate like that so quickly. I'd contact the dealer about this even though it's not really a warrantied item (sometimes they'll help you if the issue is way out there).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 01:07:28 pm »
Pillows are only covered for three months on a Coleman spa, however a few years ago we had some pillow issues on the 700 series spas. They fell apart right away. In fact my coworker ended up with the defective pillows on her new 706. The problem was not water chemistry and so Coleman replaced the pillows.

How soon did you notice the damage on the pillows?

Have you reported it to your dealer and if so , how did he handle the claim?

What does the underside of your cover look like? I would think less than one year would be too short of a time to destroy pillows, even with poor water chemistry.

DoubleA

• 2006 Caldera Tahitian
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 02:53:41 pm »
About 7 years ago my parents bought a spa and the headrests disolved after about a year or so.  My theory on this was they were not told to shock with the cover off and always did with it on.  Not sure if I'm right but the Cover was going bad too so I'm thinking maybe.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 02:56:05 pm »
I had always heard it was ozone and not venting the chlorine after adding it

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 03:00:15 pm »
Campsalot, I am wondering if a spa blanket would offer more protection for your head rests?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 04:22:02 pm »
About 7 years ago my parents bought a spa and the headrests disolved after about a year or so.  My theory on this was they were not told to shock with the cover off and always did with it on.  Not sure if I'm right but the Cover was going bad too so I'm thinking maybe.

Shocking with it open for 10 minutes is a great idea in general to allow off-gassing. The pillows from about 7 yrs ago would fall apart no matter what IMO. The newer "foam" like pillows you see out there now are a different story. They'll fade like everything else due to ozone and chems but you should find them to be much more structurally sound. Some stay away from pillows due to the way they used to fall apart but what's out there nowadays works really well IMO.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 04:36:05 pm »
Spa tech, do you think the spa blanket offers some protection from the ozone and chemical off gassing?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 04:39:47 pm »
Spa tech, do you think the spa blanket offers some protection from the ozone and chemical off gassing?

Sure, I just don't like the inconvenience but for heat retention and off-gassing they are nice though you defintiely want to leave it open and jets on for 10 minutes after a shock before you put the blanket on and close the cover.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 05:44:27 pm »
Padded headrests aren't supposed to last, and they don't.  If they did last, they wouldn't be excluded from the warranty.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 06:07:14 pm »
Padded headrests aren't supposed to last, and they don't.  If they did last, they wouldn't be excluded from the warranty.

The newer materials actually last pretty well, though they do fade. The ones that were around 5 to 10 years ago always fell apart but with the ones today it's better a faded pillow than no pillow IMO (unless you can't handle the color fading).

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 06:13:05 pm »
One of the secrets of the spa industry: Pillows head rests in warm steamy chemical environment deteriorate. :-[
Well that's just great! It's not a secret anyMORE.

>:(

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 06:40:10 pm »
I think most everything's been covered that I could think of except one thing- biguanides.

I don't think I've ever seen a customer on biguanide get issues with pillows, and their covers seem to last a little longer.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 06:40:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42