What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Do you soak in the spa without any Free Chlorine?  (Read 18160 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Do you soak in the spa without any Free Chlori
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2006, 10:31:23 am »
drewstar

Yes?
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2006, 10:31:23 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2006, 12:42:45 pm »

Yes?

My computer "entered" instead of going down a line but I was goiing to ask how long have you been using that little chlorine (0.5). Stuart suggested that I use that little as well but I found my water didn't stay too nice. (of course I was going through something else with my water at the time). I typically use 3 PPM after soaking and 1.5 PPM every other day if I don't soak.

Ever any problems with your water.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2006, 12:50:20 pm »

My computer "entered" instead of going down a line but I was goiing to ask how long have you been using that little chlorine (0.5). Stuart suggested that I use that little as well but I found my water didn't stay too nice. (of course I was going through something else with my water at the time). I typically use 3 PPM after soaking and 1.5 PPM every other day if I don't soak.

Ever any problems with your water.

duh.

I missed the decimal point.  

I don't go to .5

I go to 3  - 5

sorry.
I am the forum dummy today. (Again).

« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:54:49 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2006, 02:44:46 pm »

sorry.
I am the forum dummy today. (Again).

No you're not ... remember I hit the enter key and left just your name ... so I think we're equal dummies! :D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2006, 02:54:23 pm »

No you're not ... remember I hit the enter key and left just your name ... so I think we're equal dummies! :D

Does any one maintian a .5 ppm  with the N2?

I saw that N2 is selling test strips. Anyone have these?  What ppm do they say is "Good" ?

07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2006, 03:39:37 pm »
N2 strips test for MPS - not for the silver ions.

I know people have had good or great sucess with N2 but I don't see the point of throwing in 2 tablespoons of MPS every time you soak. Your TDS would go sky high and the info of add 1 teaspoon of dichlor if the tub looks hazy says something to me.

There may be people who use 0.5 PPM but I didn't seem to have any luck with it. Heck I didn't have any luck with it at 3 PPM, I never tried 0.5 PPM. What I thought would happen was keep my water nice longer due to the initial killing of dichlor and the silver ions along with ozone to keep the count low - it didn't.

I need to see real value in something and N2 doesn't provide it for me. The one stick I had it I used with dichlor and shocked with MPS once in a while. My dealer's chemical program consists of N2 with a weekly shock of enhanced shock. Maybe MPS burns up whatever bacteria feeds on but with my limited experience I can't see how 1 weekly shock would keep my water clean.

I agree with you! Even at about $17 on Ebay, I don't think it's worth it. I truely don't think I would trust my tub just using MPS.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2006, 08:02:34 pm »
My Envoy came with N2, of course, and it also has an ozonator.  I add dichlor after each use in accordance with the Vermonter's method and check to be sure that my chlorine is 3 to 5 ppm about 15 minutes after the addition (i.e. when the clean cycle stops or a bit later).  I also change my water every 60 days or so.  Clearly I am not trying to find the least cost water program.  I want clean water and after spending 9 grand for a nice tub am not going to scrimp on the chemicals.  

It may be true that Zodiac overstates the case for their product, show me a marketing effort that doesn't exaggerate to make a case, but I have tried leaving the N2 out and there is a difference.  It is not night and day, but the water clears faster after the pumps are off, I don't need to use MPS or clarifiers when N2 is part of the regime and I don't need to use more than maybe a tablespoon and a teaspoon of dichlor to shock once a week.  Without the N2 cartridge in play the shock was more like 2 tablespoons plus of dichlor.  Although I agree that dichlor is cheap, it is also not environmentally friendly and minimizing the amount required is a sound practice.

You pays your money and you takes your chance.  Don't get too serious about this kiddies, its all just for fun after all.

Bill

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2006, 10:47:12 pm »
So I'm guessing that this (24/7 ozone) is something that has changed recently, I know in Oct 2004 when I was shopping only D1 was able to do that.

Now the question is ... how efficient would 24/7 ozone be in killing bacteria in the whole tub, considering it's short lifespan. As far as N2, I tried it and it didn't do anything in my tub, was told I was using it wrong but don't see how.

Someone has probably already replied to this but since I may never get to the end of this thread I thought I would throw my .02 in there before I lost the thoguht (easy to occur as I get older...) ....Many, many tubs did Ozone 24/7 in 2004. All Jacuzzi, Sundance, Hotsprings, Caldera, Emerald, etc with the small circ pumps did this back then.  Only ones that didn't were the ones who were touting elimation of the "tiny" pump in favor of using one of the larger pumps for circ but even then, those could be set up for more frequent circ so the 24/7 has been pretty standard for a while now, right guys?
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2006, 11:00:10 pm »
N2 strips test for MPS - not for the silver ions.

I know people have had good or great sucess with N2 but I don't see the point of throwing in 2 tablespoons of MPS every time you soak. Your TDS would go sky high and the info of add 1 teaspoon of dichlor if the tub looks hazy says something to me.

There may be people who use 0.5 PPM but I didn't seem to have any luck with it. Heck I didn't have any luck with it at 3 PPM, I never tried 0.5 PPM. What I thought would happen was keep my water nice longer due to the initial killing of dichlor and the silver ions along with ozone to keep the count low - it didn't.

I need to see real value in something and N2 doesn't provide it for me. The one stick I had it I used with dichlor and shocked with MPS once in a while. My dealer's chemical program consists of N2 with a weekly shock of enhanced shock. Maybe MPS burns up whatever bacteria feeds on but with my limited experience I can't see how 1 weekly shock would keep my water clean.

I agree with you! Even at about $17 on Ebay, I don't think it's worth it. I truely don't think I would trust my tub just using MPS.

Just MPS? What are you talkign about Willis?  I know I only used N2 for a short time when I first got my tub but at no time did I make the mistake of thinking that only N2 and MPS were needed.  I think it stated then that Dichlor was needed but the "AMOUNT" of dichlor needed would be LESS, not absent.  In my use, it did seem to reduce the amount needed but it seems like I am a miser when it comes to dichlor use anyway so it didn't save much and I stopped using it.  The second reason I stopped using it was that my TDS levels seemed to increase significantly when I used the N2 regime.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:00:32 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2006, 11:32:47 pm »

Just MPS? What are you talkign about Willis?  I know I only used N2 for a short time when I first got my tub but at no time did I make the mistake of thinking that only N2 and MPS were needed.

My HotSpring manual outlines using only N2 and MPS as a chlorine free alternative. The experts here wouldn't recommend this but it sounds good to newbie's.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

DoubleA

• 2006 Caldera Tahitian
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2006, 12:24:27 am »
I use dichlor, N2 and ozone now instead of biguanides.  But I have a friend who uses MPS, N2, and ozone.  With no actual sanitizer such as Bromine, Chlorine, or Biguanide aren't the people with MPS at risk for pseudomonis or another bacteria?  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2006, 06:47:56 am »

Just MPS? What are you talkign about Willis?  I know I only used N2 for a short time when I first got my tub but at no time did I make the mistake of thinking that only N2 and MPS were needed.  I think it stated then that Dichlor was needed but the "AMOUNT" of dichlor needed would be LESS, not absent.  In my use, it did seem to reduce the amount needed but it seems like I am a miser when it comes to dichlor use anyway so it didn't save much and I stopped using it.  The second reason I stopped using it was that my TDS levels seemed to increase significantly when I used the N2 regime.

From the N2 website:

When: What to do:
Purifier Start Up Drain and refill your spa. Balance water per dealer guidelines. Add 1 teaspoon of dichlor to spa per 250 gallons (approx. 1000 litres). (Note: 1 teaspoon = 1/4 ounce = 7 grams.)  
Every Day Run spa according to recommendation supplied to you by the manufacturer of your spa  
Before Each Use Add 1 tablespoon of potassium peroxymonosulfate (MPS) to spa per 250 gallons (approx. 1000 litres)
(Note: 1 tablespoon = 1 tablet = 3/4 ounce = 21 grams.) A convenient way to insure proper MPS level is to use a Nature2 Spa Test Strip. If the Nature2 Spa Test Strip indicates a low level of MPS, add 1 tablespoon of MPS to spa per 250 gallons and retest.  
Once A Week Add 3 tablespoons of potassium peroxymonosulfate to spa per 250 gallons (approx. 1000 litres). Check and adjust pH and total alkalinity. A convenient way to check pH and total, alkalinity levels is to use a Nature2 Spa Test Strip.  
Every 4 Months Drain and refill your spa.
Replace Nature2 purifier, repeat purifier start-up.  
As Needed If water looks hazy, shock treat with 1 teaspoon of dichlor per 250 gallons (approx. 1000 litres)  

Other than startup and water looking hazy - no dichlor.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2006, 08:42:28 am »
I didn't think the N2 strips checked for silver ions, but I was curious if the color tabs were calibrated for the .5 levels?  My Lesiure time strips  are guaged to show chlorine leves are in the correct color code around 3ppm.

Adding shock/MPS every time you soak also seems foolish to me. As i mentioned, my pool dealer is trying to talk me into a N2 system for my new AGP.  It's about $150 for the canister (attatches to the filter return line) and about $60 a cartridge. The catridge should last all season (about 4 months here in MA).  That's it....Oh, and you have to shock every week.

No thanks. I buy a 50lb tub of 90% trichlor ($65), and that lasts me about 4 years.  I shock about 3 times a season if that.
::)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 08:44:17 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2006, 05:10:28 pm »
Drewster yoy should not use trichlor in your spa.

anne

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2006, 05:48:57 pm »
I think he meant for his pool. AGP= above ground pool? I misread it at first too.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2006, 05:48:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42