What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Do you soak in the spa without any Free Chlorine?  (Read 18161 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Do you soak in the spa without any Free Chlori
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 06:43:15 am »
OK, let me sum this up. It sounds like most people soak without any Free Chlorine but add chlorine when strangers or kids show up. Will the use of Ozone/N2 help protect you if someone in the spa was infected?

No! N2 isn't strong enough and ozone doesn't run when a pump or light button is pushed - their both secondary sanitizers.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 06:43:15 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 07:48:21 am »
Where is everyone finding free chlorine?  I' pay a minimum of $5 / pound!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

shabba34

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 11:25:37 am »

No! N2 isn't strong enough and ozone doesn't run when a pump or light button is pushed - their both secondary sanitizers.
Maybe on your spa.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 11:39:19 am »
Maybe on your spa.

Are you saying that ozone runs 24/7 on HS even when there is therapy going on ... is this new? I was under the impression that D1 was the only tub that does that BUT they use an UV type (2004 info) to be able to run when therapy is going on.

shabba34

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 11:58:25 am »

Are you saying that ozone runs 24/7 on HS even when there is therapy going on ... is this new? I was under the impression that D1 was the only tub that does that BUT they use an UV type (2004 info) to be able to run when therapy is going on.
The only time Ozone would not be inducted into the spa on a HS is if the spa was on its summer timing mode, or if were a 110V model, where the circ pump turns off while the jet pumps are operational. ;)

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 02:04:56 pm »

My spa also runs the ozone in conjunction with the circ pump that runs 24 hours whether the other jets are on or not. And the filter intake for the circ pump also includes the N2 cartridge so water is constantly flowing over that as well for what ever good it may be doing. So far it has kept the water in pretty good shape with just dichlor after use and an occasional dichlor shock. But I haven't had any big crowds or kids in the tub yet.

Not planning on having any kids in there in the future either...

:-X
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 02:32:09 pm »
So I'm guessing that this (24/7 ozone) is something that has changed recently, I know in Oct 2004 when I was shopping only D1 was able to do that.

Now the question is ... how efficient would 24/7 ozone be in killing bacteria in the whole tub, considering it's short lifespan. As far as N2, I tried it and it didn't do anything in my tub, was told I was using it wrong but don't see how.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 02:36:21 pm by Vinny »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 02:38:31 pm »
So I'm guessing that this (24/7 ozone) is something that has changed recently, I know in Oct 2004 when I was shopping only D1 was able to do that.

Now the question is ... how efficient would 24/7 ozone be in killing bacteria in the whole tub, considering it's short lifespan. As far as N2, I tried it and it didn't do anything in my tub, was told I was using it wrong but don't see how.

I'm pretty sure my watkings tub has ozone 24/7.

I too don't see how you could be using ozone "Wrong"

I do belive that you must be using 24/7 (As opposed to jsut when it's filtering,  and have a CD unit (As opposed to UV) to see significant results.
07 Caldera Geneva

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 02:45:28 pm »
I believe D1 allows ozone even when people are using the spa.  I do not think Hotspring does and I know that Sundance does not.  

Chlorine is more efficient at sanitizing a whole body of water becaus of the nature of chlorine.  As soon as you add it, it spreads itself right trhough the plumbing.  

shabba34

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 02:51:32 pm »

Ever since ozone has been available on the HS line, and the spa was a 220v unit, 24/7 injection occured.  I believe it was 89' or 90'.  Maybe someone can help me out on the years.  N2 really should be used as a catalyst for the ozone system and not by itself.  I don't personally use N2 on my spa, for I couldn't tell if it made any difference in my water maintenance. ;)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 02:57:45 pm »
N2 really should be used as a catalyst for the ozone system and not by itself.  I don't personally use N2 on my spa, for I couldn't tell if it made any difference in my water maintenance. ;)

Huh? The Nature 2 mineral pack,  is a catalyst for ozone?  
07 Caldera Geneva

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 03:08:08 pm »
N2 is silver and zinc.  It kills and prevents the growth of bacteria.

Ozone is a strong oxidizer that kills and oxidizes bacteria.

I have always wondered if ozone would try and oxidize the minerals in the water before it attacked the bacteria, thus working against the N2.  Anyone have any thoughts?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 03:16:15 pm »
N2 is silver and zinc.  It kills and prevents the growth of bacteria.

Ozone is a strong oxidizer that kills and oxidizes bacteria.

I have always wondered if ozone would try and oxidize the minerals in the water before it attacked the bacteria, thus working against the N2.  Anyone have any thoughts?

DR Spas' site (Rhtubs.com)says:

"Nature2 can be used with every type of chemical treatment program available except bromine and bromide based chemicals, biguanide products (Baquacil* or SoftSwim**) and copper-based algaecides."

The Nature 2 site (Nature2.com) says:

• The use of an efficient ozone generator with Nature2 may reduce the need for supplemental chemical treatments.

My pool dealer wants me to put one on my new pool.   A catridge costs about 60$.  

I told him I only use about $15 of trichlor a season.

:P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:22:46 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

shabba34

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 03:24:50 pm »

Huh? The Nature 2 mineral pack,  is a catalyst for ozone?  
I guess you already answered your question with your last post, but yes a catalyst.  Inhibiting the replication of bacteria further allowing you to use less chems. ;)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 03:33:17 pm »
I guess you already answered your question with your last post, but yes a catalyst.  Inhibiting the replication of bacteria further allowing you to use less chems. ;)

Huh?  

I could be spazed out here (long meetings do that to me). But when you used the word "Catalyst"  I took that to mean:

Something that initiates or causes an important event to happen. Originally a term used in chemistry for the volatile (active) chemical in a formula (Thanks  dictionary.reference.com )

The key word is Active.  A catalyst starts, or activates a process or reaction.

From your answer, Are you using catalyst as a synonm for "enhances" or am I still missing something?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:34:32 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 03:33:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42