What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Holy Cr*p, I have GREEN water  (Read 6702 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Holy Cr*p, I have GREEN water
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 12:49:46 pm »
The stuff you describe sounds like it's caused by recent pipe maintenance, flushing, repair, etc. or, as he said, a fire. When I was with a local fire department we used to get calls all of the time from angry citizens wanting to know why we "screwed up their water!"  Most of the time, it would flush clear in less than a week.

Why though, is it always the week I am filling my pool, or doing a water change out on my tub?  I am begining to think it's a conspiracy....yeas a vast liberal conspiracy.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 12:49:46 pm »

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 01:09:33 pm »
Nah, if it was a "liberal" conspiracy, the EPA would already have regulated it.  Besides, with all that sh*t in the water, it could ONLY have come from conservatives...

Did I really say that?

BTW, I saw Rush in a Hot Springs dealer the other day...

;D ;D ;D ;D

Drewski
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 01:57:07 am »
OK, I'm assuming the green tint was from algae in the water and the rust colored stuff was formed by the dichlor reacting with magnesium or iron? Any other theories? I wish I would have taken pictures but it was dark. Somehow, the water is crystal clear now.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 09:57:55 am »
I doubt it was algae giving the green tint. The reaction with your chems may have produced copper. If it was algae, the quality of drinking water was SERIOUSLY compromised and if the EPA or any water quality people got a hold of it, the water supplier would have ended up paying some SERIOUS fines....

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 12:10:58 am »
Thanks Drewski and the rest. I found something from a pool site here that is in-line with what most of you have said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------  
Colored Water  
The ideal clear pool water is everyone's goal, but there are those instances when it is difficult to achieve. Colored water is an ugly nuisance and can result in stained pool surfaces. The two main reasons for colored pool water are oxidized metals and algae. A turbid green pool water condition is usually attributed to algae. To gain a better understanding of algae treatment see the section on algae.  

Water color resulting from oxidized metals can come in an assortment of colors, and is mostly translucent in its early stages. Green, red, brown, and black are some of the more common colors produced by dissolved metals. Green color is usually produced by either copper or iron. Red and brown colors are generated by iron. Black/brown pool water is usually caused by manganese.  

Often these colored water conditions appear after a pool is initially filled or after a shock treatment. If the fill water contains metals it should be treated with a sequestering agent and/or clarifier prior to chlorine additions. A shock treatment can cause metals to oxidize, which allows them to fall out of solution and become more visually apparent.  
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 12:10:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42