What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lost in filtration  (Read 20133 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Lost in filtration
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2006, 09:54:44 am »
Avoid Tri-x filters.

Is dey de Debil?

Terminator
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:55:14 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2006, 09:54:44 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2006, 10:10:38 am »
So we still dont know for sure?

Chas, how bout it?  How come there isnt a difinitve answer to the tri-x micron question?  Won't Watkins tell you guys?  I remember they wouldnt tell me when I called them when they first came out.

Well, ok, I'll call the factory for you today. Why are you pressing for this number though? The things work great, I doubt they are THE deciding factor in buying a tub, if your spa came with them you'll get good service out of them - so why the big demand to have a number? Is this just a way to try to make a competitor look bad (or good as the case may be?)

What I have heard already is that part of the filter's ability to work well is due to the design of the pleats: they don't colapse upon one another, and they take advantage of the three-dimensional shape to add to the filtration. They are a unique design, a uniquie material, and a unique approach - none of which seems to be limited or dependant upon a micron number.

???
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

salesdvl

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2006, 10:56:31 am »
I'm just keeping the original question alive.  Way back on page 1 that was the question that was asked.  Then 4 pages of banter followed.  I just find it interesting that it's not a known fact by you guys.  I suspect that they wont tell you because if the tri-x happens to allow larger particles to pass through then a traditional pleated filter, it could be exploited by the competitionand Watkins wouldnt allow that.  
Measure once, cut twice.

anne

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2006, 11:44:57 am »
Yeah, it'd be nice to know because if they are HS's best filters, then people must be happy with them, and they must work well....

So if their micron rating is very small, maybe that means that the number does deserve recognition.

If the micron rating is higher than we expected, then we just relax and put less weight into that number, realizing that lots of other factors (that Chas mentioned) make a filter work well.
Dance like nobody's watching

luv2bretired

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2006, 03:06:25 pm »
Well I'm still here and still waiting.  I have another brand to try out tomorrow.  I'll get back to you all when I am getting closer but I do hope that we can get an answer on this.
Thanks
Slingblade

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2006, 03:34:13 pm »
The answer is 47.

anne

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2006, 04:30:30 pm »
Actually, its 42!!! ;)

Guzz

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2006, 04:57:23 pm »
Actually, its 42!!! ;)

Are you sure about that? They said the answer was 47. 8)

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2006, 05:03:59 pm »
I think the answer to the question is 42, but no one ever figured out what the question was, which was why the plaent earth was "built."

Hopefully, I got the reference right, otherwise I look like an idiot (even more than normal  :))

anne

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2006, 06:56:20 pm »
I think the answer to the question is 42, but no one ever figured out what the question was, which was why the plaent earth was "built."

Hopefully, I got the reference right, otherwise I look like an idiot (even more than normal  :))

You got it right. I was thinking people might think I was a random loony as well. ;D

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2006, 10:47:39 pm »
Hmmmm...

You HHGTTG fans just kill me...  Have you ate at the RATEOTU?

:P

Drewski
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

anne

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2006, 03:16:10 am »
I'd like to make i clear that I was a fan of the original PBS series, and the book (sort of) but not the recent remake. I'm not that loony.   :P

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2006, 11:33:28 am »
Still no difinitive answer on how small of a particle those big holes in the tri axel filters will grab, but I'm sure as they get clogged, the particle size they grab is much smaller too. Odd that neither karl or t-lady chimed in on this post when the other thread was brought up, but I have a question that refers back to terminators comment about iron. W esort of know that Karls water has iron in it, because hisd water turned after shocking. We do not know if t-ladys well water is iron laden or if it's just a muddy well. Shallow well pumps tend to suck up whatever is in their way when they start to get low you know.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 11:34:27 am by Wisoki »
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Guzz

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2006, 11:55:45 am »
The answer to "Life, the universe and everything" includes the filtration properties of Tri-ex filters as well.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2006, 08:31:51 pm »
Back to the original question.  I owned a Caldera Geneva Utopia and I liked it better than my present HotSpring Envoy. I did not notice any appreciable difference in filtration between to two and would not let such a nebulous feature sway my decision one iota.  If you wet tested them both and you like the Caldera better, what are you waiting for?

Now with resect to nasty well water or other hard stuff that is not potable, the solution is to pre-filter the water.   Unfortunately, the prefilter shown in this thread, and I own and use one of these myself, is probably not an adequate answer for very bad well water.  There is a commercial multiple-bank, carbon based filtration system that really is the answer.  These are used by companies that fill pools and spas in hard water areas.  Here is South Florida, people on wells use this service for their pools and spas and the price is very nominal to have the company come out and fill your unit through their filtration system.  I am thinking $30 or so for a pool.

Regards,

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2006, 08:31:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42