What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tubbin' and better sleep  (Read 6305 times)

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
Hot tubbin' and better sleep
« on: May 09, 2006, 02:36:34 pm »
Was wondering if everyone has had a similar improvement in sleep patterns with the use of a hot tub. I have never been a particularly sound sleeper and had hoped that the recent acquisition of a hot tub might provide some improvement. While I enjoy my hot tub and can say without question that it has provided relief for muscle and joint stiffness and soreness, I can not say that it has had a noticable impact on my quality of sleep. I tend to soak late in the evening, usually shortly before going to bed in hopes of getting a bit of help sleeping.

I don't generally have trouble getting to sleep but Iguess I am a "light sleeper" and apparently suffer with a bit of sleep apnea and don't feel I get very "refreshed" after a night's sleep, which usually only lasts 7 hours at most, no matter how tired I might be or how late or early I go to sleep.

Oddly, I also don't tend to dream, or at least remember my dreams. Had a sleep study done a couple of years ago and apparently  I am a very "light" sleeper and I guess I don't get to the dream stage much or for very long. Also supposedly explains my lack of restful sleep.

Only thing that really seems to work is better living thru chemistry...

It is soooo relaxing and we've been sleeping like rocks.  We had some neighbors over on Saturday and ate and soaked and drank vino for hours and had a blast!!!

Have most people had the same experience as noted here from using their tub or do some find that they are, like me, seemingly doomed to be a restless sleeper even with the best hot water money can buy...
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tubbin' and better sleep
« on: May 09, 2006, 02:36:34 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Hot tubbin' and better sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:33:11 pm »
Tan, I'm sorry that the tub hasn't helped with your sleep (or lack of sleep) problem. My husband and I have been married 23 years and I can honestly say I never remember him having a completely restful sleep. He too is a light sleeper and had an issue with sleep apnea until he lost some weight. He used to take over- the- counter medications to try to get a decent rest. Anyway, right before we got the tub his doctor gave him samples of Lunesta and another sleep aid, to try and see which one helped the most. I encouraged him to wait until after we got the tub to try prescription sleep aids.
The tub, in his case was the answer. He really sleeps like a baby and seems to be so much more relaxed and less stressed. I can't believe the difference. Maybe you could experiment with the temperature and if you could tolerate the tub at a higher temperature, you would have better results. I say that because my husband and I have different preferences for good soaking temps. He seems to like it hotter than I do.
The tub has helped me sleep much better also, but that may be because I don't wake up from aches and pains like I used to.  My husband is totally addicted to our tub...and claims it has drastically improved his health and quality of life.... ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 03:36:44 pm »
The hto water puts me to sleep. My wife however, is careful not to soak too close to bedtime, she says she gets too hot and has a hard time sleeping.  (Which is odd, she prefers the bedroom temps to be warm, and I like a cool room to sleep in).  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:40:33 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 03:45:45 pm »
I have been having lots of issues with sleep including occasional insomnia and sleep apnea. Lots of things help, Ambien CR works great for 3 or 4 days and it doens't make me drive like a Kennedy. But after a few days it isn't as effective and the withdrawl sympton is insomnia  >:(  

I've read where hot water soaks help, but should be done 45 minutes before bed to allow cooling, while leaving the relaxing effects.   I've found like Ambien, doing it every night my body seems to adapt. When I miss a few days, I then sleep great after a soak.  

Cutting out caffiene helps too.  I found on the crews ship last week that a really dark room helps as well. Our room was a total pitch black, something I lack at home, and will have to work on.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 03:50:25 pm »
I have been having lots of issues with sleep including occasional insomnia and sleep apnea. Lots of things help, Ambien CR works great for 3 or 4 days and it doens't make me drive like a Kennedy. But after a few days it isn't as effective and the withdrawl sympton is insomnia  >:(  

I've read where hot water soaks help, but should be done 45 minutes before bed to allow cooling, while leaving the relaxing effects.   I've found like Ambien, doing it every night my body seems to adapt. When I miss a few days, I then sleep great after a soak.  

Cutting out caffiene helps too.  I found on the crews ship last week that a really dark room helps as well. Our room was a total pitch black, something I lack at home, and will have to work on.

Yourt tag says "Back and no tan lines"  Is RC now offering an  nudist cruise?  ::)

Drivng like a kennedy. I strongly believe ambien was not the cause of Kennedy's inability to drive.    ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:51:20 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 03:51:22 pm »
The hto water puts me to sleep. My wife however, is careful not to soak too close to bedtime, she says she gets too hot and has a hard time sleeping.  (Which is odd, she prefers the bedroom temps to be warm, and I like a cool room to sleep in).  

My wife is the same way she will avoid soaking right before bed. We try to allow about 1 hour from the time we get out of the tub before going to bed to cool down.

I can go direct from the tub to bed and sleep right away. I guess people are different

RPG

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 04:00:21 pm »

I typically allow myself about 6 hours of sleep as spa fairying is a highly demanding occupation.  If I'm not actually spa fairying, then I am thinking about spa fairying or dreaming about spa fairying.  If my poor tired body and mind need a truly restful sleep, a nice 30 minute soak is just what the Fairy ordered and I will actually get up to 7.5 hours of deep, wildly sensuous rest.

Sandman wishes and sugarplum dreams....

The Spa Fairy

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 04:50:50 pm »
I typically allow myself about 6 hours of sleep as spa fairying is a highly demanding occupation.  If I'm not actually spa fairying, then I am thinking about spa fairying or dreaming about spa fairying.  If my poor tired body and mind need a truly restful sleep, a nice 30 minute soak is just what the Fairy ordered and I will actually get up to 7.5 hours of deep, wildly sensuous rest.

The Spa Fairy

I'm the same way, except for the fairying part.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

TMJ

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 05:06:54 pm »
In time we have had the hot tub, I find I sleep much better, and seem to handle life stresses a lot easier. Hubby really misses the tub while on the road. He does not sleep more than 3-5 hours while away, when home he always gets 7 straight hours. I know soon he will start hinting at rigging something, tub like, for his truck.

tanstaafl2

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 05:14:48 pm »
Tan, I'm sorry that the tub hasn't helped with your sleep (or lack of sleep) problem. My husband and I have been married 23 years and I can honestly say I never remember him having a completely restful sleep. He too is a light sleeper and had an issue with sleep apnea until he lost some weight. He used to take over- the- counter medications to try to get a decent rest. Anyway, right before we got the tub his doctor gave him samples of Lunesta and another sleep aid, to try and see which one helped the most. I encouraged him to wait until after we got the tub to try prescription sleep aids.
The tub, in his case was the answer. He really sleeps like a baby and seems to be so much more relaxed and less stressed. I can't believe the difference. Maybe you could experiment with the temperature and if you could tolerate the tub at a higher temperature, you would have better results. I say that because my husband and I have different preferences for good soaking temps. He seems to like it hotter than I do.
The tub has helped me sleep much better also, but that may be because I don't wake up from aches and pains like I used to.  My husband is totally addicted to our tub...and claims it has drastically improved his health and quality of life.... ;)

Glad to hear it worked in his case. I am 5'12" and 175 lbs so weight doesn't seem to be the issue for my sleep apnea. I suspect it has to do more with a back injury from a car accident. 10 years ago I tended to sleep on my side and as best I can remember I slept better then but since the injury I find I can only sleep flat on my back. I have also tried a mouth piece to keep my jaw from falling back and obstructing the airway and while it seems to work at least a little bit it is uncomfortable and causes other problems. I do occasionally use some ambien and the like but never for more than a day or two and usually when I am either really tired or need to get some decent sleep or often when traveling as I don't do well in unfamiliar settings.

I like a cool dark room and I usually do wait about 30 minutes after soaking mostly to close up the tub after the dichlor. Usually the temps is not more than 100-102 and now mostly 100 as the weather warms up. Not sure I would like it much warmer. But for whatever reason it hasn't seemed to make a lot of difference so far, at least for me.    :(

But glad to hear it is working for others!  :)

tanstaafl2

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 05:21:45 pm »

I have the same effect with ambien although I rarely take it more than 3 or 4 days anyway. Cut out caffeine pretty much all together except for chocolate and I try to avoid that late at night. But then if don't sleep well I tend to be tired during the day. Nothing like falling asleep in the middle of a meeting...

Perhaps I will have to try leaving a longer cool down time before going to bed. I do know when I get out it takes me awhile to cool down. Even the bathrobe is too hot to wear! Probably just need to do a little "physical exercise" during or just after the soak. Maybe my g/f can help with that... ;D

I like a dark room as well and have a blackout curtain at home. It does seem to help.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 06:14:10 pm »
The sleep improvement benefit is probably the main one that customers coming back to my stores for chemicals, supplies, etc. comment on.  Personally, I have torn up nearly every joint in my body over the years from sports and have difficulty sleeping well without using my spa.
The issue mentioned of not sleeping well immediately after using the spa may correlate with dehydration.  If you make it a point to be well hydrated before and during your soak you may feel more restful afterwards.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 06:19:52 pm »
Yes, DPS, you are so right. I know if I don't drink enough, I get a headache the next morning.  Wow that sounded weird :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 06:45:09 pm »
Yes, DPS, you are so right. I know if I don't drink enough, I get a headache the next morning.  Wow that sounded weird :-/

I have the opposite problem.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 10:20:51 pm »
I  I found on the crews ship last week that a really dark room helps as well. Our room was a total pitch black, something I lack at home, and will have to work on.

I worked a couple years of third shift and can vouch for room darkening blinds and heavy drapes. Makes a world of difference in both light and noise. Add a kegorator and a hot tub and you've got the recipe for a really good nights sleep.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 10:20:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42