What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another new buyer  (Read 2193 times)

96SC

Another new buyer
« on: May 07, 2006, 11:46:00 am »
Hi all, we too, are looking for a spa/hot tub.  Now is the catalog collection phase, we’re up to about 7 with several more coming.  I have been reading the threads for the past few days and am beginning to get a feel for which spas are good and which aren’t so good.

Since this our first tub/spa there are several questions we have or will have and the replies I’ve seen here seem to honest.  

Instead of asking all my questions at one time, as I’m sure some answers will bring up other questions, I’m going to start with a few.  Digest those and ask a few more.

The vast majority of posts say deal locally and with a dealer you like/trust.  We live in the semi-sticks with only one dealer within 10 miles and the next closest 50 miles away.  From a dealer standpoint how far/close is local?   Would you be as willing to send a tech 50+ miles for a repair, knowing it is the only call in the area, as opposed to sending a tech out to make 4 calls in the same time frame?

Have any of you heard of spas that are heated with natural gas?  If so are there any advantages/disadvantages?

Finally, are there particular spas that have deeper seating than others?  We don’t live in a cold weather area (South Carolina) but being out of nice warm water from mid-chest up doesn’t sound too appealing.

Thank all of you for reading and responding, I hope to hear and talk to all of you again.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

Another new buyer
« on: May 07, 2006, 11:46:00 am »

J._McD

Re: Another new buyer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 12:37:29 pm »
First, you will always gravitate to the deepest seat first, and you will be a soft boild egg in a few minutes being 104° to in the inner core of the body.  You will want to elevate to a higher seat to loose heat, my wife is sitting in the highest seat within 15 minutes with outside temperatures well below 30°.  It is a rush that you will enjoy immensly.  She is overwhelmed with heat, but not ready to get out.  You will remain be toasty warm.  Of course, you can always get down in the water again.

Second, in Wyoming or Montana 100 miles could be considered local.  In the Carolinas discuss this with the dealer while shopping, the lower you want the price, the less he is able to do for free.  Considering the cost of gas today, it would not be unreasonable to expect a "house call" or "trip charge" which is only intended to not call them out for dirty filter problems that are not covered under any warranty.

Third, natual or propane, forget it.  These are "small" bodies of water that are pridictabley going to cost you $30 a month electrically to operate (IF you buy the right one).  Do you really think gas is cheaper, (NO).  Not to mention the cost of installation and repairs because of water chemistry in small water vessels.  

Start with your local dealer, visit the next closest dealer and think about the differences.  Review you brochures, do some research in past threads, and page through the last 60, 90 180 days of this forum.  You will get an education beyond belief.

THEN, get that Hot Tub delivered, because you are going to be whining and complaining to us why you waited sooo looong to do it.  Without question, it is extremely unlikely that you can make a bad choice, but from your point of view, you only want to make an informed choice.  Good luck and come back with some questions.  Welcome to the board.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Another new buyer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 12:37:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42