What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Should I shim my Envoy?  (Read 12434 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Should I shim my Envoy?
« on: April 24, 2006, 01:51:49 am »
I originally planned on installing our HS Envoy on a perfectly flat concrete pad located on the rear corner of our property. The area has a nice view of the hills where we live. To get there, you have to go up a few concrete stairs though. When the spa delivery crew showed up my wife and the crew thought it would be much better installed on our patio near the house. She thought it would be more private tucked away from the neighbors.  ???

Anyway, she was probably right but the pad is not perfectly flat. Originally, I didn't consider the patio because I calculated the slope to be around 2" per 8'. The installation person said that the slope was actually less than an inch. He said if it was his spa he wouldn't shim it since it would affect the integrity of the spa. He said that if I change my mind at any time he would come back out and shim it for us. All this happened on a late Friday afternoon and I'm sure he didn't want to shim the spa or lug it up to the other location. We went with the patio installation.

A few weeks later I measured the slope and it's exactly 1.5" per the length of the spa--away from the house. I've been living with it ever since. It's not a big deal but you can definitely see the difference in the water line when you're in the spa.  

If this was your spa would you shim it, or just live with it?

Here's an old picture before I put stuff around it.

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Should I shim my Envoy?
« on: April 24, 2006, 01:51:49 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Should I shim my Envoy?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:29:52 am »
shim.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

shabba34

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:22:48 am »
shim.
What he said.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:01:50 am »
shim it. Look in your owners manual it shows where the shim points are.
I'd live with 1/2 inch over 8'. 1.5" is too much.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 11:18:40 am »
It would drive me freakin' nuts not to shim!  

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1143231808;start=1

;D

BTW, I think I would put down two layers of black plastic given your patio already has a nice pattern on it if you decided to go the concrete shim route. I like mine so far but have only had it 1+ month so no idea how it will hold up in the long run.

But I like the notion of a solid base under the spa that can still (theoretically  ;) ) be removed if plans change.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 05:50:57 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:43:59 am »
If it doesn't bother you don't bother.  On the other hand, if that is what you want and the dealer will come out and shim for no charge, go for it.

Nice patio.  

I agree that close to the house is a better spot for the spa.  Spas closer to the house tend to get used more than spas across the yard...so I've heard.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 02:33:18 pm »
OK, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. This what my HS manual says " In order for your Hot Spring spa to operate properly, and the internal pluming to drain completely, the spa must be level." It doesn't specify how level it needs to be. I've heard anything from .5" to 2".

HS dealers, for an Envoy, where do you draw the line whether or not you will shim for a customer? What does the factory recommend? Also, will a slope of 1.5" affect the performance of the spa or is it strictly aesthetics?

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 02:46:00 pm »
If it bothers you a little bit now, I can guarantee that you WILL be shimming it within six months.

I just did a water change on mine, and spent a long afternoon doing the shim shimmy. I'd say my difference was the same as yours, and over the course of six months has gotten to be a real annoyance.

Happy Shimming. By the way, if you do it yourself, it aint' fun - but the level waterline is worth it.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 09:59:28 am »
I would sure go ahead and shim it.  Ask the dealer if the next time they're in your area to shim it for you.  We would, and we wouldn't charge you for it.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 12:20:18 pm »
The only time I have heard of an out-of-level spa having any problems is a bit of gurgling from the ozone system, and that is totally random. I have gone out and UNleveled a spa to get it to quit in the case of an unusually worried customer. They ended up with about an inch across the tub, but no more gurgling. I will not try that one again: we worked all day and then they wanted us to pay for the water since we refilled it three times. We settled the matter by simply having my delivery guy threaten to punch him. Worked fine.

Level for the looks only - if the dealer will do it, let them. Do your best to have it empty and the area around the spa clean clear and dry.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 08:54:06 pm »
Although I have never measured the slope, mine has similar slope to yours.  Like Chas said, this is not a matter that would affect the operability or reliability of the spa.  Rather it is a cosmetic issue.  I personally think that having the whole base of the spa in touch with the pad is bound to put less stress on the frame.  I like that.  What can I say?  With a similar situation, I elected not to shim mine and don't even notice it anymore.

Bill

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 11:13:12 pm »
Although I have never measured the slope, mine has similar slope to yours.  Like Chas said, this is not a matter that would affect the operability or reliability of the spa.  Rather it is a cosmetic issue.  I personally think that having the whole base of the spa in touch with the pad is bound to put less stress on the frame.  I like that.  What can I say?  With a similar situation, I elected not to shim mine and don't even notice it anymore.

Bill

I like having a solid pad as well but would have hated the cosmetic look even if it didn't affect the function.

But the concrete shim idea solved both issues!
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 02:20:43 am »
OK, thanks for the replies. In the HS manual they give instructions how to shim but they don't give a specification when to shim, i.e. from .5" to 3" etc. Isn't there a general rule of thumb for HS installs? If you do shim, there's no issue with the shell buckling or moving over time?

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 07:07:56 am »
Gomboman,
I had the same situation. Personally, I don't like the Idea of "Shimming" something this heavy, but I couldn't live with the slpoe. So I made a removable platform ( removable, in case this tubbing whim of mine doesn't pan out )
What I ended up doing was to cut treated 2x4's from 2" to 0" ( the difference in pitch for the run) and lay them out 12" on center on a frame. I fastened to the cement with a few tapcons. I then covered with 3/4" Treated plywood which I glued and screwd down. My tub is now level.
I am going to have to " Round out " my platform at some time in the future. But it works great.
(I used an oil treated plywood that is used to make concrete forms and is made to be used over and over again, It is a much better grade than regular green treated plywood but either would work. )
I have a few pics but don't know how to post em.
Good luck

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 11:07:09 am »
For what it's worth, our Optima is on a slab that drops about 1.5 inches over 10'.  The waterline is a bit noticable but we've never had any problems.  I think my wife actually likes it this way as the 2 seats on the 'high' side are not quite as deep.  The filter is on the 'low' side and things have been working great for almost 2 years...
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 11:07:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42