What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: homemade tub/pool  (Read 3482 times)

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
homemade tub/pool
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:54:05 am »
I ran across this website and wanted to share it with you.  Forgive me if this has already been posted.

This guy built his very own hot tub/kiddie pool from scratch.   Quite interesting.

http://www.wcc.net/~jkmccoy/hottub/hottub.htm
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

homemade tub/pool
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:54:05 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: homemade tub/pool
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:56:01 am »
We discussed home made tubs over in the BS section. This guys tub was an interesting read.   If you read the rest of his website, he comes across as a pretty handy guy, who built the tub more for the sake of doing it, rather than trying to design a better, or less expsensive tub.   :D
07 Caldera Geneva

salesdvl

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:22:30 am »
Hey, isnt one just like that available on Costco.com for $5699?   ;)     ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 01:43:57 pm »
I think it's awesome that he built it. Looks pretty nice too.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 01:54:37 pm »
I think it's awesome that he built it. Looks pretty nice too.

I dropped the owner an e-mail and invited him over here to say hi.  

I think he'd have some interesting views on tub plumbing, heating, filtration etc since he built his own.  As I mentioned, he seems more of a backyard tinker.   ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 06:29:46 pm »
I wonder what other projects he's worked on?  You gotta think there is something else lurking in his laboratory, I mean basement.

jkellymcc

• 2005 Home Made
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 10:09:26 pm »
Howdy,

I'm the one who built the home-made hot tub mentioned in this thread. As he said, Drewstar dropped me an email and invited me to join your discussion. I appreciate the invite, but I'm not sure what I might add to the conversation. I have few opinions about commercial hot tubs and I'm quite happy with my home made version. I also poked around on the forum and read another thread on home-made hot tubs.

I enjoy doing things myself. Part (much) of the reason for building my own hot tub was because it was an amusing project. I always have some sort of project going. It's what I do (build things). I find great satisfaction in figuring out how to do something, and then doing it.

However, these projects would be much less satisfying if they wound up costing extra money or if they didn't work. The hot tub project actually only cost me about $1300 and has worked great for the past year (I expect it to work for many more years). For that amount of money I amused myself for almost 6 months (planning included) and I have a functional hot tub at the end. Personally, I like the large unobstructed tank better than the molded seats in the commercial hot tubs I've tried.

I won't lie and tell you that every project has worked that well. I have made a few mistakes (just a few), but those are learning experiences as well.

Anyway, I appreciate that some people have found my project interesting (or amusing). I'd be glad to discuss the project or the tub if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Kelly McCoy
West Texas

p.s. I brew my own beer too (I'm drinking one right now) and it is excellent beer for less $ than the cheapest I can buy at the grocery store (not much less than the cheapest, but a LOT less than the good stuff).

You don't REALLY want to know about all the projects out in the shop.
Noli illigitimi carborundum!

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 12:42:59 pm »
I always have some sort of project going.

p.s. I brew my own beer too (I'm drinking one right now) and it is excellent beer for less $ than the cheapest I can buy at the grocery store (not much less than the cheapest, but a LOT less than the good stuff).

You don't REALLY want to know about all the projects out in the shop.

That's cool... but what are all the lights and plants in the basement for?  
;D

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 12:50:06 pm »
Welcome aboard.  

Great job on the tub/pool.  I'm sure I too will keep my tub temps down a bit so the kids can enjoy the water this summer.  

I don't brew my own beer, but I did convert an old fridge into a kegerator.  How's that for handy?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 01:07:58 pm »
Didja ever make an insualted cover for the tub?

I'm curious if you have any data on how much that sucker costs to run.

And Welcome.  I felt funny talking about you behind your back.   ;D ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 02:24:14 pm »
when I was rebuilding  the ole' sovereign, I didn't have a cover. I actually stumbled on this guys website when I was pondering making a cover. In the end I bought one.

I'm a DIY guy too, but I think he has me beat. He can sit in his home-made hot tub with a home-made beer. I wonder if he also sews his own swimshorts?

Seriously, it is a very cool thing.

jkellymcc

• 2005 Home Made
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 10:39:13 pm »
You wear swim shorts?? I guess I could sew some up if I wanted.

The cover is a real problem. I still don't have a good insulated cover. It is now warm enough here that it won't be a big problem again until about October. I would probably buy one if one were available for a tub that big. Right now I'm thinking that I'll try casting a foam one with pourable urethane foam. I think I'll pour it in four quarters then coat with epoxy resin and add hinges and a skirt around the edge out of vinyl.

We usually only use the tub on weekends. I've been heating it up every weekend and keeping it hot from Friday to Sunday. It stays warm quite easily once it gets up to temperature. It's a little hard to pinpoint the electric cost because I started it up last year about the time we started using the AC in the house full time and about the same time I switched electric providers and rates. My best estimate is that it is costing under $100 per month.

Cheers,
Kelly McCoy
West Texas

Noli illigitimi carborundum!

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 10:59:52 pm »
when I was rebuilding  the ole' sovereign, I didn't have a cover. I actually stumbled on this guys website when I was pondering making a cover. In the end I bought one.

I'm a DIY guy too, but I think he has me beat. He can sit in his home-made hot tub with a home-made beer. I wonder if he also sews his own swimshorts?

Seriously, it is a very cool thing.

Heck, even I make my own swimshorts.  All that takes is a pair of scissors.  Seems I've got several name brand (Levis, Dockers, etc.).   Just kidding...sorta.

Regarding the spa cover:  What about something similar to the SpaCap?
Looks like some foam filled/air filled bag that sits on the top of the spa.
www.spacap.com
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 11:04:31 pm by TN__HOT_TUB »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 10:59:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42