What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: NEW SUNDANCE delivered...no manual??? help  (Read 5797 times)

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
NEW SUNDANCE delivered...no manual??? help
« on: April 11, 2006, 09:09:28 pm »
Got a floor model delivered earlier today.  All cleaned and filled.  Powered up and got a FL 1 flashing on the control panel and some strange noises from the pump area.  Any help?

Also, any link for manuals online?  The Sundance site has a spot for them (www.sundancespas.com  then go to CUSTOMER CARE, then on the left is the manual link but nothing shows up??? what gives?)

Thanks. :(  All filled up and not sure whats next?
Better than I deserve...

Hot Tub Forum

NEW SUNDANCE delivered...no manual??? help
« on: April 11, 2006, 09:09:28 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: NEW SUNDANCE delivered...no manual??? help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 09:34:31 pm »
Sounds like you've got an air lock.  What model Sundance?  Some have two speed pump no. 1, others have just one speed pumps.  If you have  a model with a two speed pump, your air lock could be in that pump or the circ pump.  If you have one of the 880 models with the high flow circ pumps it most likely is the circ pump.  Don't have any experience with that type, but with the other..if you lift off the diverter valve handle and loosen the valve itself (unscrew) just a little, any trapped air should escape.  Also, try running without filter to free up.

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 09:47:36 pm »
Sounds like you've got an air lock.  What model Sundance?  Some have two speed pump no. 1, others have just one speed pumps.  If you have  a model with a two speed pump, your air lock could be in that pump or the circ pump.  If you have one of the 880 models with the high flow circ pumps it most likely is the circ pump.  Don't have any experience with that type, but with the other..if you lift off the diverter valve handle and loosen the valve itself (unscrew) just a little, any trapped air should escape.  Also, try running without filter to free up.

Hey Tony.  I've got a Bahia.  It has a 1 speed and a 2 speed pump w/ozone and a circ pump I believe.  (new owner w/out manual???)

I'll try the diverter.  I found a manual put online by an owner of a different model (portofino) Sundance and it says something very similar.

Thanks...I'll give it a whirl.  Will update soon.
Better than I deserve...

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 10:08:53 pm »

Hey Tony.  I've got a Bahia.  It has a 1 speed and a 2 speed pump w/ozone and a circ pump I believe.  (new owner w/out manual???)

I'll try the diverter.  I found a manual put online by an owner of a different model (portofino) Sundance and it says something very similar.

Thanks...I'll give it a whirl.  Will update soon.

UPDATE:  Tony, couldn't figure out exactly how to loosen the diverter (not even sure which one it is) but found a SWEETWATER MANUAL online and it suggested to put hose in covered end of where filter fits and turn on for 30 seconds.  Also started without filter in.  It BURPED my tub!  A big air bubble came out, restarted tub and no FL1 error!  

So, do I shut power down and reinstall the filter and run overnight to heat?  

Better than I deserve...

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 10:18:36 pm »

UPDATE:  Tony, couldn't figure out exactly how to loosen the diverter (not even sure which one it is) but found a SWEETWATER MANUAL online and it suggested to put hose in covered end of where filter fits and turn on for 30 seconds.  Also started without filter in.  It BURPED my tub!  A big air bubble came out, restarted tub and no FL1 error!  

So, do I shut power down and reinstall the filter and run overnight to heat?  

Just another follow up:  I put the filter back in, shut the pumps down but the circ pump is going just fine.  Covered it up and I'll do the chemicals in the morning...thanks for the help!!!

Night all.
Better than I deserve...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 10:52:05 pm »
Expect that to be a possible issue whenever you drain and refill.  
Get an owners manual, if you can't locate one on Sundance's website (they have a lot available, so look again) get one from your dealer.  They should have delivered you one with the spa.
To do the diverter valve trick, simply lift up on the handle and it will come off relatively easily,  Then just unscrew the part right underneath the handle, it's threaded to hold the valve in place.  
Make sure the pumps are off if you do remove that cover, or you'll have your own "Old Faithful" display.
Brewman

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 10:56:35 am »
Expect that to be a possible issue whenever you drain and refill.  
 Get an owners manual, if you can't locate one on Sundance's website (they have a lot available, so look again) get one from your dealer.  They should have delivered you one with the spa.
 To do the diverter valve trick, simply lift up on the handle and it will come off relatively easily,  Then just unscrew the part right underneath the handle, it's threaded to hold the valve in place.  
 Make sure the pumps are off if you do remove that cover, or you'll have your own "Old Faithful" display.

LOL!  Thanks for the advice.  I guess I was looking for a philips or straight slot for a screw driver but there isn't one.  When I lift off the diverter, it's a square plastic knob and that is what you must be talking about.  I'll remember that next time.

RE:  the manual.  I did find a SWEETWATER SPA manual that seems to be current.  Brewman:  go to Sundance web site, click on customer care and on the left, click on "manuals".  On my pc (and wifes too), nothing shows up.  I Googled and found other links that got me there and for whatever reason, the .pdf's showed up (lots as you say) but if you follow the right click and save directions, it won't allow you to download.  Let me know if you try and succeed because I tried many different ways to no avail last night.

Better than I deserve...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 12:19:54 pm »
Maybe your diverter's are different for that spa than for my Optima.  When I lift off the control, I see the square thing that the cover sits on, but it's surrounded by this big plastic round cover that has some grip ridges on it.
Grabbing that cover and unscrewing it will allow you to see or remove the diverter valve.  

I checked Sundance's website by clicking on customer care, then owners manual, and there were probably 60 or so PDF links.  The North America section had manuals going back at least 10 years.  Maybe your access isn't set up correctly.  You'd need Adobe Acrobat to open the manuals, but I'd think even if you didn't have it on your pc you'd still see the links.  But I might be wrong there.
Do you have Adobe Acrobat on your pc?

If not, it's a safe, free download.
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 12:43:14 pm »
Did you fill the tub running the hose through the filter compartment?  My tub does has a bleeder valve near the top of the lines to bleed air off, I don't know how common that is.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 12:48:25 pm »
Maybe your diverter's are different for that spa than for my Optima.  When I lift off the control, I see the square thing that the cover sits on, but it's surrounded by this big plastic round cover that has some grip ridges on it.
 Grabbing that cover and unscrewing it will allow you to see or remove the diverter valve.  

I checked Sundance's website by clicking on customer care, then owners manual, and there were probably 60 or so PDF links.  The North America section had manuals going back at least 10 years.  Maybe your access isn't set up correctly.  You'd need Adobe Acrobat to open the manuals, but I'd think even if you didn't have it on your pc you'd still see the links.  But I might be wrong there.
 Do you have Adobe Acrobat on your pc?

If not, it's a safe, free download.

Brewman...I SWEAR I tried that exact same thing several times at my pc at home and I had my wife try on her laptop too and not a single .pdf came up, NOT ONE!!!  Then I come to work and do it, BAM!  No problem.  Thanks for pushing the issue.  Now I have A MANUAL!!  Could be dangerous!
Better than I deserve...

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 12:53:01 pm »
Did you fill the tub running the hose through the filter compartment?  My tub does has a bleeder valve near the top of the lines to bleed air off, I don't know how common that is.

Yep....did fill it through the filter.  Honestly, the suggestion of putting the hose with a rag around the end to the OPPOSITE END of the filter housing where you're supposed to fill it (screened end) worked perfect.  It was just like burping the tub..a big bubble of air came out within 10 seconds and then nothing for the remaining 20.  Started up the tub and no problems.  

I'll look for the bleeder valves...I thought I saw something like that under the hood.
Better than I deserve...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 01:47:42 pm »

Yep....did fill it through the filter.  Honestly, the suggestion of putting the hose with a rag around the end to the OPPOSITE END of the filter housing where you're supposed to fill it (screened end) worked perfect.  It was just like burping the tub..a big bubble of air came out within 10 seconds and then nothing for the remaining 20.  Started up the tub and no problems.  

I'll look for the bleeder valves...I thought I saw something like that under the hood.

Actually its in the corner of the tub above the waterline in near the filter compartment. Actually you can see it if you click on my site to the left.  It's black and above the feet of the lounger on the right wall. (The biggest picture)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 01:50:40 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 02:10:40 pm »

Brewman...I SWEAR I tried that exact same thing several times at my pc at home and I had my wife try on her laptop too and not a single .pdf came up, NOT ONE!!!  Then I come to work and do it, BAM!  No problem.  Thanks for pushing the issue.  Now I have A MANUAL!!  Could be dangerous!

I tried yesterday also and there were no pdf files.  They must have been working on the site at that time.

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 02:33:36 pm »

I tried yesterday also and there were no pdf files.  They must have been working on the site at that time.

Either that or I thought maybe my virus protection was set too high or something.  But if you had the same issue, then it must be that they were working on it.  It'd be nice if they posted a message or something!

And it figures that the site would be down the day I get my tub!  Too much....all better now and I'm T minus 4 hrs 29 minutes to first soak!
Better than I deserve...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 02:58:53 pm »
Maybe Sundance was updating that part of their website or something.  
At least you got a manual- maybe you should hit up your dealer for a free ducky or something for the trouble they put you thru for not giving you one with the spa.

I don't think you'll find reference to a bleeder valve on your spa- it's sounding exactly like my manual if you get that FLO error on fill up.  Doing what you did with the hose and rag on the screened end of the filter compartment, or unscrewing the diverter valve retainer is Sundance's prescribed solution to that problem.

A bleeder valve of some sort would be a nice touch, though.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 02:58:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42