What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sniffing the ozone again...  (Read 4341 times)

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
Sniffing the ozone again...
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:45:12 am »
I keep reading on different sites about people who recommend using ozone and N2 without any additional chemicals except perhaps the occassional shock. I have ozone on a 24 hour circ pump plus an N2 cartridge but have still been putting in dichlor with each use using the Vermonter recommendations more or less with a dichlor shock about every 2 weeks (currently using a generous tsp each time it is used to get about 3ppm after 15 mins in my ~550 gallon tub). Water remains crystal clear, no foam or other problems after about 4 weeks so far.

Anybody tried going with just ozone and N2 with no chlorine except as shock or if water changes occur? And if so does it seem to work?
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Hot Tub Forum

Sniffing the ozone again...
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:45:12 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Sniffing the ozone again...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 12:22:35 pm »
Tanstaafl2

I too have heard of these mysterious folks (As well as the folks who have the $$$ ionizors).  I've heard about them, but never met any of them.   It's always been " A freind of mine" or "My mom' neighbor".  After 2 years of trying to find them, I think they are more urban legend.

Unless, you want to voulenteer and do it?

Please?
07 Caldera Geneva

tanstaafl2

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 12:40:57 pm »
Tanstaafl2

I too have heard of these mysterious folks (As well as the folks who have the $$$ ionizors).  I've heard about them, but never met any of them.   It's always been " A freind of mine" or "My mom' neighbor".  After 2 years of trying to find them, I think they are more urban legend.

Please?

I am considering it. Think I might put in a dichlor shock and then not use anymore dichlor for the next couple of weeks and see what happens.

And I will likely be out of town for several weeks later this year and will get to see how it holds up while gone. Of course it won't have anybody in it during that time (unless the neighbors decide to sneak in...) so that won't be a fully valid test.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 12:43:24 pm »

I am considering it. Think I might put in a dichlor shock and then not use anymore dichlor for the next couple of weeks and see what happens.

And I will likely be out of town for several weeks later this year and will get to see how it holds up while gone. Of course it won't have anybody in it during that time (unless the neighbors decide to sneak in...) so that won't be a fully valid test.

No it wont.  I've left my tub for 7-10 days with nothing but balanced water and ozone running and it was perfect.

07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 12:49:52 pm »

I've seen the results of people trying to go chlorine free by using MPS when they have N2 and ozone. It's not good. You do need to utilize some chlorine and there really is no reason to even want to skipt the chlorine IMO. It's not as if you're using buckets of it. A couple teaspoons of chlorine after each use works wonders with ozone and N2.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tanstaafl2

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 12:59:26 pm »

I've seen the results of people trying to go chlorine free by using MPS when they have N2 and ozone. It's not good. You do need to utilize some chlorine and there really is no reason to even want to skipt the chlorine IMO. It's not as if you're using buckets of it. A couple teaspoons of chlorine after each use works wonders with ozone and N2.

Hmm, one for and one against. Anybody care to break the tie?  ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 01:01:13 pm »
huh?

I think we all agreeed we need chlorine. I was speaking specifically for when you go away on vacation and don't use the tub.  I belive Spa tech was talking about day-to-day use, in which I completey agreee.

07 Caldera Geneva

tanstaafl2

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 01:04:59 pm »
Thought you were encouraging me to run the tub with just N2 and ozone with no dichlor after use and just using dichlor as a shock every couple of weeks (or MPS although I was inclined to shock with dichlor).

I guess not! So now it is 2-0 against my experiment, eh?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 01:07:01 pm »
Thought you were encouraging me to run the tub with just N2 and ozone with no dichlor after use and just using dichlor as a shock every couple of weeks (or MPS although I was inclined to shock with dichlor).

I guess not! So now it is 2-0 against my experiment, eh?

Oh, yes, I was encourageing you to do it. Sorry.

(how ever I don't think it would work, otherwise I'd be doing it on my own tub).  But yes, YOU Should try it.  

I'm just looking for proof.  ;D ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 01:29:19 pm »
Tanstaafl2

Please?

Drewstar, I am one of these mysterious folks and have had a looong history of using O3 and have a great many customers doing the same.  But, when that ozonator expires, you will know it within 24 hours.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 01:31:50 pm »
Drewstar, I am one of these mysterious folks and have had a looong history of using O3 and have a great many customers doing the same.  But, when that ozonator expires, you will know it within 24 hours.

J_McD you don't use anyother sanitizer other than O3?

How often do you use your tub and how often do you do a water change out?
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 01:35:10 pm »

Ditto.

Every once in a while new custoerms with ozone have noticeable water quality issues and I've found that usually the ozone was not set up properly (kinked hose, backward check valve, not plugged in, bad injector, etc.). Once you've seen that a few dozen times you realize that the ozonator really does matter. If I was on the fence I'd unplug mine for a few week intervals to see the difference but I've seen it too many times long and ago lept over the fence to the true believer side of ozone.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 03:49:38 pm »
I have to admit, I'm one of the "few and far between".  I use a Nature2 cartridge on my 24hr circ pump, have a Del Eclipse Ozone unit and only put 3 Tbsp of SpaGuard Enhanced Shock in once a week on Sunday.  Thats it.  The Enhanced shock does contain dichlor, but I do not add any other dichlor after each use as some do.

To this day I have not had any water issues whatsoever and this has been the case for about a year now.  I just changed my water after 5 mos and it was crystal clear and smelled clean and fresh.

I know I won't win any converts by this testimony, but it works for me.  I feel I should add that I am the only person who uses the spa on a regular basis and that is about  4 times a week for 30 or 45 mins at a time.  Maybe once a week I'll be joined by a friend or two. So, the bather load is not a big as some have.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

hymbaw

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 04:01:44 pm »
When using Nature2 I've had the best results with Enhanced Shock (that 58% chlorine does help.) I still prefer ozone+bromine though!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 09:34:09 pm »
There's been quite a few threads on this topic. Here's another one if you like.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1136949889;start=0

I keep reading on different sites about people who recommend using ozone and N2 without any additional chemicals except perhaps the occassional shock. I have ozone on a 24 hour circ pump plus an N2 cartridge but have still been putting in dichlor with each use using the Vermonter recommendations more or less with a dichlor shock about every 2 weeks (currently using a generous tsp each time it is used to get about 3ppm after 15 mins in my ~550 gallon tub). Water remains crystal clear, no foam or other problems after about 4 weeks so far.

Anybody tried going with just ozone and N2 with no chlorine except as shock or if water changes occur? And if so does it seem to work?

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 09:34:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42