What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: That Last ½" of Water  (Read 11747 times)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: That Last ½" of Water
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 05:58:58 am »
I use a small transfer pump. Very noisy but works great for every last drop. You hook a 5 foot section of old garden hose up to the suction end and use it like a suction wand for every last drop. They have a rubber impeller that is lubricated with water and even if it just sucking a few drops it will continue to work. They cost about 50-100 bucks. Fluid Transfer pump.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 05:58:58 am »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 08:29:31 am »
another thought I had......not as economical maybe, but it would at least dilute the last bit in the tub....run a little more water in, then scoop/siphon/vac it out. If you're having THAT much trouble with the water, and you can't get it all out anyhow....at least what's left should be a little more diluted.....
RIP C-Rod

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 08:37:30 am »
You could always just leave it and not worry about it.  Some of the water is still left in the plumbing anyway.  It is not going to contaminate your fresh water.

tony's comment is on the mark again.

Like you, NE, I first used a shop vac but now merely splash the water into the footwell from any seats that may hold water.  The last little bit in the footwell stays right there.....no big deal.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 09:04:36 am »
A bottom drain is great for getting out the last 1/2 inch out of the tub (Hey New Tub shoppers look for this).. But yea, the seats will have some water.  I usually take a towel and mop it up.  I think I will try the shop vac route next time. It's an 8 gal, maybe 10 gal vac, which I think should be large enough, but after reading Ne-Phil's post, now I'm not too sure.  ???

If it's a crappy day out, (rainy or cold)  and the water wasn't too bad,  I'd don't sweat it  and leave a bit in there.   I am only anal about getting all the water completey out and having the tub bone dry if I am waxing the shell,  or I had a water issue.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:16:58 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 09:21:46 am »
Shop Vac works great.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 09:28:56 am »
Use this to scoop water out of the seats:

Won't scratch the shell and moves a lot of water.

I've asked it before and no one's ever answered this question:

[size=18]Why doesn't every spa company put the drain in the bottom like a bathtub?[/size]

It just makes sense.  What is a good reason NOT to have a bottom drain?

Terminator
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:31:00 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 09:58:31 am »
there would then be no reason to get creative about removing that last drop! (My real guess is that MEN design hot tubs)   ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 10:00:39 am »
now, now, Boni.....men design MAPS.....that's how 1 inch can equal 1 mile....
TUBS, however......hmmmm.....lotsa suction type stuff.....okay, they probably designed those, too. ;D ;)
RIP C-Rod

J._McD

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 10:14:50 am »
MARQUIS lurkers - why NOT put the drain on the bottom instead of an inch from the bottom? ? ? Where's the logic? Is it time for a redesign?

To put a drain in the bottom of the tub it would probably raise the height 3 to 4 inches and then that does not mean the plumbing or the pumps would drain 100%.

In the interest of the last ½" this may relate to 2 gallons or even 4 gallons of water in relation to the 400 + gallons that the tub holds.  That would be less than 1%.  As they say in Jersey, "forgedd a bout it" it ain't gonna matter.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 11:26:16 am »
A lot of people really like having a bottom drain.  They also like to see a 240 lb, bald headed salesman jump up and down in the bottom of the spa without it flexing.  Visually impressive as well as a great cardiovascular workout.

Terminator

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 12:19:58 pm »
A lot of people really like having a bottom drain.  They also like to see a 240 lb, bald headed salesman jump up and down in the bottom of the spa without it flexing.  Visually impressive as well as a great cardiovascular workout.

Terminator

Anyone ever buy that specific floor model right after seeing you complete your Jane Fonda workout demonstration in it?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 12:23:35 pm »

Anyone ever buy that specific floor model right after seeing you complete your Jane Fonda workout demonstration in it?

I can't honestly say as I usually don't regain consciousness for several minutes.  When I come to, I'm usually in my underwear and my wallet's gone.  Must have been some of those Costco employees Wisoki was warning folks about.

Terminator

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 02:22:16 pm »
Guess I should share what not to do with your shop-vac after cleaning out the tub...Dry the insides, replace the regular pleated filter...DO NOT FORGET to also dry out the hose. My shop vac is a tall thin vac with many feet of hose.  When I finished, I dried everything out (guess I forgot the hose though). I use my shop vac to pick up after my pets so I sucked up bird seed and put the vac away. About a week or so later, I took it out to vacuum up the mess from my wood stove...there was such a terrible musty moldy smell that I had to turn it off. The water from the long hose had been sucked in with the bird seed and the seed was sprouting in my shop vac. All of the little cruddies that were in that pleated filter were covered with mold...what a disgusting mess...I guess I need a designated Shop Vac! :-/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 02:22:52 pm by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 02:38:19 pm »
Boni *lol* kinda looks that way, huh? one for "wet" use, and one for "dry" use, maybe?
I bought 2 identical measuring cup/spoon sets....I had to mark one for TUB USE ONLY, just so I don't mix them up. Within 20 minutes of that, I mentioned to my son that the set that had yet to be unpackaged were KITCHEN use only...so he moved them right next to the tub supplies......sheesh. :-/
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 02:39:55 pm »
Guess I should share what not to do with your shop-vac after cleaning out the tub...Dry the insides, replace the regular pleated filter...DO NOT FORGET to also dry out the hose. My shop vac is a tall thin vac with many feet of hose.  When I finished, I dried everything out (guess I forgot the hose though). I use my shop vac to pick up after my pets so I sucked up bird seed and put the vac away. About a week or so later, I took it out to vacuum up the mess from my wood stove...there was such a terrible musty moldy smell that I had to turn it off. The water from the long hose had been sucked in with the bird seed and the seed was sprouting in my shop vac. All of the little cruddies that were in that pleated filter were covered with mold...what a disgusting mess...I guess I need a designated Shop Vac! :-/

I've got a designated wood pelllet stove vac: The Cricket. Works like a charm. :^)

Shop vac? Good lord, I've sucked up things I don't want to even talk about.  :P
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 02:39:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42