What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: That Last ½" of Water  (Read 11748 times)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
That Last ½" of Water
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:20:23 pm »
I've been reading a thread Drewstar started called "Siphon trick or foolish user?" and it got me thinking about a related problem that's been bugging me.

Once you remove most of the water from the tub using your favorite method, how do you remove the last ½" of water from the bottom of the tub and the deep seats? I haven't found a good method for this. I tried using a shop vac but it fills too fast and it's a pain to haul it out each time and then dump it - I'm not lazy, I have lower back problems that flair up.  

Currently, I grab an old towel, let it soak up the water and then squeeze it out into a 5 gallon bucket. When the bucket fills I empty it out. There's got to be a better way. The constant up and down isn't good for my back, its time consuming and it's the most tedious part of emptying the tub. :P

I'm ready for a better alternative. Suggestions anyone? ???

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

That Last ½" of Water
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:20:23 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: That Last ½" of Water
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 08:24:02 pm »
I'm not really "up" on shop vacs....but can the top be taken off so it just sucks up the water and shoots it out the other end of the hose, maybe next to the tub, if it's not a lot of water (and the tub is outdoors, that is)?
I read awhile back about one user that uses a bleach (?) jug, cut into a scoop and that works for him....

That's a good question though, and I'll keep an eye on this post, as the Grandee has a lot of deep seats that seem like they'll pose a problem.
RIP C-Rod

Pathfinder

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 08:26:56 pm »
If you dont mind spending a little money to save your back

look at purchasing a little Giant submersible pump  they are around $100  but drains much  faster, they have a thermal overload protector  and the suction is on the bottom to grab almost every last drop

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:27:35 pm »
by the makers of the Little Giant ladder, perchance?
RIP C-Rod

Pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 08:28:43 pm »
not too sure on that one

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 08:48:07 pm »
If you dont mind spending a little money to save your back look at purchasing a little Giant submersible pump  they are around $100  but drains much  faster, they have a thermal overload protector  and the suction is on the bottom to grab almost every last drop

Pathfinder,
The submersible is a great way to go and I do use that along with a 2nd hose using suction. The submersible I use does suction from the bottom but even with that, it leaves a ½" of water. I'm always afraid if I leave it too long I'll burn out the motor. Also, it doesn't do much for the deep seats as they have a rounded bottom.

Keep those ideas coming, folks! I know someone has an elegant but simple and efficient method.

Phil

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 08:56:04 pm »
Phil, I used a shower squeegy to clear off my seats, it works great and is a cheap investment. I used my garden hose syphon to pull out all but the last little bit of water. I posted a picture before of this contraption but it really works well to start a syphon in a very little bit of water

Then I was able to finish it off with my shop vac.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 09:30:15 pm »
My cousin worked in a restaurant. Being the philosophical type he said imagine this: At the restaurant, we have this big vat of minestrone soup, as each day ends we top off the vat for the next day.

It's VERY probable that some portion of that soup dates back to the first can added to the vat.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 10:12:33 pm »
I use two hoses-one that drains from the drain and the second I create the suction by standard fill the hose and let it run method.  The second hose is the one I use after the tub is drained below seat level.  I use it to empty the seats by crimping it and moving it quickly to where I need it and uncrimping it.  After I get the majority if the water out that way, I quickly move it back to the main area to finish draining the tub.  I then just scoop the remaining water (which isn't much) with my hand into the main area.  Once the tub is almost drained, I get in and move the hose around (keeping it in the water as long as the suction will last.  That gets in down to very little water that I can get with a towel, only wringing it out a couple times.

I hope this makes sense.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 10:32:35 pm »
I use a big sponge for the seats and a Simer submersible pump that only leaves 1/4" of water.  Then I use the bottom drain that the D-1 has.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 10:51:51 pm »
You could always just leave it and not worry about it.  Some of the water is still left in the plumbing anyway.  It is not going to contaminate your fresh water.

Pathfinder

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 11:00:50 pm »
Like tony said that little bit of water wont affect the new stuff
unless you had white algae or some sort of bacterial problem

if that half inch is a big concern  you could always trade in and go with a Hydropool Hot Tub  the bottom intake on the floor will take down all of the water with the jet pump
then use a squeegy for the rest

Theres a unsolicited plug for ya Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 11:08:08 pm »
Take a bleach bottle and cut the bottom off, leave the cap on.  Use it as a scoop.  Works good for getting the water out of the contoured seats, and I can get all but the last quart or so out of the bottom of the spa.
Brewman

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 11:24:19 pm »
OK, it looks like I'll have to live with the ½" of water especially since I'm not going to trade it in for a Hydropool. I have too many good reasons for keeping my Reward!

MARQUIS lurkers - why NOT put the drain on the bottom instead of an inch from the bottom? ? ? Where's the logic? Is it time for a redesign?

Yes, it is kind of an@l but it does bug me to not be able to completely drain it. I usually drain it because its too cloudy or foamy and I haven't been able to clear it up despite the many helpful suggestions from this forum. Girls do love their conditioner, skin lotion, etc. So I'm a little too ambitious in getting out the old water.  I wanted to avoid what hottub.pool_boy was talking about.
Tatooed Lady, Ruby and Brewman all mentioned making a scoop. Guess I'll get the gallon milk jug out of the recycle bin and start cutting.

Thanks all!

Phil

Pisces

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 12:01:52 am »
A bigger shop vac with a longer hose. Leave the shop vac outside of the tub. You can even suck out the spa plumbing if you so desire.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 12:01:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42