What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealers, describe your worst customer ever.  (Read 8652 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Dealers, describe your worst customer ever.
« on: April 02, 2006, 05:29:18 pm »
Dealers, what was your worst experience ever with a customer? I'm sure some of you had to refuse service from someone who probably wasn't going to buy. Have you ever had cash in hand and gave it back because someone was a complete jerk? Tell us about your worst experience ever. I bet there are some good stories since you have to deal with the public on a daily basis.......
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Dealers, describe your worst customer ever.
« on: April 02, 2006, 05:29:18 pm »

J._McD

Re: Dealers, describe your worst customer ever.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 06:32:20 pm »
Gumbo, I don't know if you should really go there, we will have to double our meds just to relive the experience.

We have "fired" 2 customers in 22 years, because of grossly indignant, self righteous and beligerent attitudes over self inflicted issues that could never be their fault.  It was all about their water quality and the ozonator we put on the spa.  After 2 weeks of spa ownership, we showed up with a cashiers check for the amount paid, 6 guys, drained the spa and were gone in 20 minutes.

This one we didn't fire, but it was the only warranty we ever VOIDED.  Customer / part-time, self taught, novice builder/contractor / financial planner / attorney building his own 1 mil + home, insisted on recessing his portable Hot Tub in a cinder block "well" leaving 4 inches on all four sides and no access to anything, without a sump pump pit, just outside the basement doorwall, below grade, with a rising slope out to the back yard, all of which was over our objection and against our advice even though we insisted on the sump pump, but he knew what HE wanted.  The plumbing inspector "red tagged" the project when he found the Tub "floating and bobbing" in the pit, connected to 240 volts and the GFCI breaker tripped in the Spring.

He had pulled it out with a crane and had us out to do "warranty work" according to him, which required all three pumps, blower and circuit control load box and ozonator to be replaced and he stuck us with $1,800 worth of installed replacement parts refusing to pay the cost of materials.  But, he did install a sump pump this time.

I am sorry, but I feel some chest pains coming on and need to go find my meds. ;)

And customers and shoppers wonder why we sometimes feel the way we do. :-/

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 06:45:35 pm »
I changed my mind: I have had one customer who we delivered a spa to a couple of years ago. He had promised a check for the balance at delivery. Then he stopped by a couple of times to pick up several add-ons for a big party which was coming up. Privacy screens, steps with planters, etc.

Well, as you may have already figured out, he never paid the almost $5K balance, and then sought protection in bancruptcy court, where we found out we couldn't even get the stuff back, let alone collect the debt.

Never saw a dime. Got some documents from the court which said the guy was over a million in debt.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:43:00 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 07:41:51 pm »
I'll tell you in about 2 more years after the statute of limitations expires. :)

Actually, I had one of the worst about 4 weeks ago.  I had one 2005 Sovereign left in stock over at our Shreveport store.  A man had come in with his wife and she immediately wanted to buy a Jetsetter.  He then climbed in and out of the Jetsetter and an '06 Sovereign I had in the store for the next two hours.  He told me he needed to go home and figure out which one to get.

A few days later, he came back.  And left.  And came back the next day. And left.  Finally, he decided on the '05 but wanted to see pictures of it as it was being shown at the boat show and he was afraid it would get scratched.  I went over to Shreveport, took some pics of the spa:

and showed them to him.  He bought it and we scheduled delivery for Friday.

Saturday morning, 8:30, I get a phone call.

Mr. P: "Term, I'm not happy!"

Term: "What's wrong?"

Mr. P (yelling): "This spa's leaking and the water's cold!  I knew I shouldn't have bought an unwrapped spa!  I want you to come pick this SOB up and give me my money back!"

Term: "That's fine.  Our guys are off today but we'll be there first thing Monday and get it."

Mr. P (backtracking): "Now wait a minute...what could be wrong with it?"

Term: "I don't know but you said come get it, so we will."

Mr. P: "Well, let's not be too hasty.  What could it be?"

Term:  "I'll tell you what, let me call one of my guys and he and I will get to your house as fast as we can and take a look."

Mr. P: "OK"

I called the tech who delivered it, he happened to be in town, we went to Mr. P's house and found that the light lens had come loose during set up.  It took half a twist to stop the leak.  Hooked up a voltage meter and discovered the electrician he hired forgot to hook up some wires.

Mr. P got on the phone and chewed his electrician's butt!  He apologized to us profusely and praised us for our quick reconciliation of the problem.  He has referred us to some of his co-workers and has gone from a potentially horrible customer to one of our best salespeople. ;D

Terminator

Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 10:26:16 pm »
It's the difficulties of retail. Not everyone is cut out for it. Is anyone? Sometimes I wish I had some meds to reach for. There are some tough clients out there, but I try to remember the good ones.

We no longer service other brand spas, because the people don't know why we don't drive a 52' tractor trailer truck loaded with every brand's parts and fix their brand x spa on the first visit.     They are the worst.    You bend over to help them and then they fight with you and never pay the bill.   We refuse.   We refer over $80,000.00 worth of service for other types of spas to independent service guys.

There's a BIG call for spa service technicians if someone is looking for a career change.

Sorry, no real bad ones come to mind that we've fired. My blood pressure is fine, so I don't let them get to me.

Nice pic. E.Texas

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 10:29:26 pm by hottub.pool_boy »
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 08:33:54 am »
 This past November, we had to have the Optima serviced- turned out to be a bad circ. pump.

The temperature was in the mid teens, the sun was setting, and the wind was blowing.  It was pretty damn cold.  The tech. was probably at the spa for close to an hour-  no gloves on at all.  And he had to get his hands wet several times.  They must have been frozen solid.
He passed up on my offer to come in and warm up with some coffee or hot cocoa- he had to fly off to his next customer.  
After seeing what he went thru, I can fully understand why there is a big call for spa service techs.  There isn't enough money in the universe............
Brewman

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 09:39:27 am »
In my experience, the worst customers are the same ones who want to pay the least for the spa (haggling to DEATH) and then expect a service call within the hour of when they phone! It's another reason why we never haggled! ;D

Steve

hymbaw

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 11:51:28 am »
Mine are the customers that ask for my "best price". When I give it to them they immediately counter-offer!

When I tell them that my "best price" is just that, they get upset ???

Are customers so used to being screwed with that they don't believe us honest dealers when they run across us??
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 11:57:15 am »
Are customers so used to being screwed with that they don't believe us honest dealers when they run across us??

I'm sure they're shocked to actually find an honest Sundance dealer.  Imagine if YOU were to suddenly come face to face with the Abominable Snowman what your reaction would be! ;D

Terminator

Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hymbaw

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 12:04:08 pm »
Put down the sippy cup, Term!!! You've had enough Koolaid today ;)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 12:13:56 pm »

In a word, yes.  There are so many examples of business finding less than honorable ways to maximize profits, and it is some pretty sizable well known companies.   Cell phone companies are some of the worst.  Sports Illustrated renewed my subscription to my credit card after my subscription expired.  I have gotten the subscription by redeeming airline miles. I never gave my credit card # to SI, but my airline did.   Speaking of subscriptions, Its now standard business practices of almost every gym in the country to REQUIRE you to pay monthly via direct debit and this is automatically renewed until you stop it.   Do they do this for customer convienance?  Hell no.   So often if they do tell you that they do this, its buried deep in page after page of legalspeak in 4 point type.

My wife signed a 2 year contract for service with Verizon. I was with her, she asked the sales person to explain everything about the contract.  A month later the bill went up $20 for Road Side Assistance, She didn't catch it for a couple of months.  We were paying for something we had no idea how to use, let alone want. (We are AAA members) (Not AA members) .

I'm sure there are other examples how some of today's businesses are trying to get something for nothing today.  I don't trust any business today, until they earn it.  (Oh, don't even get me started on rebates!)

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 12:24:41 pm »

In a word, yes.  There are so many examples of business finding less than honorable ways to maximize profits, and it is some pretty sizable well known companies.   Cell phone companies are some of the worst.  Sports Illustrated renewed my subscription to my credit card after my subscription expired.  I have gotten the subscription by redeeming airline miles. I never gave my credit card # to SI, but my airline did.   Speaking of subscriptions, Its now standard business practices of almost every gym in the country to REQUIRE you to pay monthly via direct debit and this is automatically renewed until you stop it.   Do they do this for customer convienance?  Hell no.   So often if they do tell you that they do this, its buried deep in page after page of legalspeak in 4 point type.

My wife signed a 2 year contract for service with Verizon. I was with her, she asked the sales person to explain everything about the contract.  A month later the bill went up $20 for Road Side Assistance, She didn't catch it for a couple of months.  We were paying for something we had no idea how to use, let alone want. (We are AAA members) (Not AA members) .

I'm sure there are other examples how some of today's businesses are trying to get something for nothing today.  I don't trust any business today, until they earn it.  (Oh, don't even get me started on rebates!)

I agree 100%.   I can't stand the automatic renewal.

I starting getting SI when my wife signed up for a Citbank credit card. I was there. I told the vendor I didn't want SI. (sir, its a free trial subscription.  Don't worry).  

You get 3 free issues, and the 4 they bill you for, and automacticly renew you on the CC.  It's nuts.

The worst part was the intentionaly deceptive notice they sent you with SI.

"DO Nothing!" When your free subscription to SI runs out we will notifiy you!  But you don't have to do anything!

I read through the whole notice telling me to "do nothing!" and discoved on the last page of 3 sheets,  what I was reading was the actaul and only  notice they would send me informing me that  unless I cancelled imedently they would re-enroll me.

SI lost all respect with me that day.

F.U   S.I  :P
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 12:29:44 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Micah

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 02:12:04 pm »
One of my salesmen worked with a customer for about 6 hours went through 3 wet tests and even bucketed water from one spa to another while the customer waited in a third spa.  After grinding us for several hours and going over all the extras he needed(6' three tier steps w/ handrail, Hydrolic Cover Lifter, 250 mg. ozone, Year supply of chemicals, extra set of filters, booster seat, Bar and 3 stools and sTereo.  We came to a price of 12,500 out the door
The same weekend we were doing a home show. We informed him that this price was the same as what he could get at the home show.  He still went to the home show, and After talking with 3 other vendors he walked up to one of my other salesmen and said "How much" Sales man says 11,500, customer grinds more and ends up getting 11,500 o.t.d. No mention of bar, stools lifter just spa, cover, delivery and start up kit.
Day of Delivery: Customer is not happy with the 2 tier step, where is the bar and stools, extra set of filters, and where is the stereo.
The customer is refusing to pay untill we bring out all the things he says he was promised by the salesman in the store.(enen though he didnt buy from that salesman)  He currently has paid a $500 deposit and owes us $11,000. He will not return phone calls or answer the door when I go by the house.  California Law will not let us go take the spa back
So I ask you all. Is it the customer that should be leary of dealers asking for to much down, or should dealers be leary of customers that only want to put $500 down.  It goes both ways. There is an old saying"Buyers are liars"  Sad, but true
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 05:33:57 pm by Micah »
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 02:16:57 pm »
CA doesn't allow you to repo something that's not paid for? No kidding.....that sucks.
This is why I love my cats and dogs more every day.....people suck.
RIP C-Rod

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 05:03:08 pm »
So I ask you all. Is it the customer that should be leary of dealers asking for to much down, or should dealers be leary of customers that only want to put $500 down.  It goes both ways. There is an old saying"Buyers are liers"  Sad, but true

Please tell us you have a very detailed signed invoice that clearly stated everything he was getting.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 05:03:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42