What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: chemistry mysteries  (Read 3538 times)

anne

chemistry mysteries
« on: April 02, 2006, 09:02:06 pm »
OK, so I found that my water so far has been super easy to manage. Out of the tap the pH and TA are low, but both come into a good range with 6tbsp bicarb, and seem to stay pretty stable. I'm happy with my chlorine routine, though I'm still new at shocking and knowing how often to, I'll work that out. I have seen the variety of how often people do that; for me it'll probably be once weekly.

Here's my current issue: how do I test water hardness? Can i do it at home? I'm pretty sure my calcium levels would be high, as the water is a bit hard in Sacramento. Is this a value that will change much once other chem values are stable?

Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

chemistry mysteries
« on: April 02, 2006, 09:02:06 pm »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: chemistry mysteries
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 09:54:19 pm »
calcium only changes when adding or losing water. you do not lose calcium to evaporation.
Harder water foams less, which what we want.
Get some five-way test strips. There is some more to know, but that's the jist of it.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 11:08:46 pm »
I agree with pool_boy. It's easy to test for and the only way to treat higher calcium readings is by increasing your weekly stain and scale control or by adding softer water to reach the 150-250ppm of calcium hardness.

Steve

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 12:10:11 am »
If you don't have a Taylor test kit try your local spa or pool supply store. Do you have a Leslie's nearby? They should be able to test your water for you and give you exact readings.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

anne

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 04:46:23 am »
Thanks for your replies. I thought that tests strips were not very accurate for hardness....I may do a survey...... ::)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 08:14:23 am »
 Several of the big box home stores around here offer free water testing.  They could test your water for hardness.  Or you can buy a test kit that includes a hardness test.
My water hardness is right in range, so I always waste those chemicals.  Heck, if you want, I'll send you that part of my test kit.  PM me if your're interested.

Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 08:21:24 am »
anne, I went out and bought a second set of test strips, because the ones the store gave me with the tub test 4 things....I bought a bottle of the 6 way just to find out the water hardness, and to be able to figure out the combined chlorine....(approximate values, anyhow).
The two types of strips read pretty close on all the identical information, but I still compare the readings of each when I do my water testing. If I had a THIRD kind of strip, I'd use that, too....I don't want to overdo the chemicals, so if one strip reads high and the other reads normal, I'll leave things be.
I also will have to look into the stain and scale stuff.....I don't think I got any of that with the tub.....hmm...
RIP C-Rod

anne

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 04:11:44 pm »
 Heck, if you want, I'll send you that part of my test kit.  PM me if your're interested.

thank you Brewman. I think I'm going to get a test kit that will have hardness included, but if not, I'll keep your offer in mind!

anne

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 06:47:45 pm »
Well, looks like it'll be taylor for me. I just spent a bit of $ at Doc's wonderful site- and he does have the best price I have seen for the Taylor K2005 kit and for N2. Got both of those, as well as some 303 which my car will appreciate as much as the tub cover, I hope.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 06:47:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42