What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cloudy when airjets turned on  (Read 12423 times)

devilwoman

• Love football, hiking, biking, and photography
Cloudy when airjets turned on
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:19:33 am »
Was gonna change my water this month but looks like it will be May now.  Here is my delima.  When I go out and remove the cover from the tub it is crystal clear.  When I run the jets with out air it is still clear, however when I run the jets with air the water turns a cloudy milky color.  Then after the bubbles clear it is all clear again.  Is this normal.  Using soft soak.  Sanitizer level is normal, ph is a little high and alk is a little low, but nothing out of the ordinary.  Water smells fine...any ideas on how to tone down the cloudy bubbles.  Bubbles to me seem white airy.  Will be having guests over Saturday and I wonder if I need to maybe drain 1/2 my tub and go from there....

Thanks
Dichlor, N2, Ozone and an Artesian Dove Canyon.

Hot Tub Forum

Cloudy when airjets turned on
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:19:33 am »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Cloudy when airjets turned on
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 09:23:50 am »
Perfectly normal when air is added to the mix.  For those who soak "au naturale", the bubbles provide a bit of "privacy".....not that I'm abdicating such..... :o
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 09:25:59 am »
Was gonna change my water this month but looks like it will be May now.  Here is my delima.  When I go out and remove the cover from the tub it is crystal clear.  When I run the jets with out air it is still clear, however when I run the jets with air the water turns a cloudy milky color.  Then after the bubbles clear it is all clear again.  Is this normal.  Using soft soak.  Sanitizer level is normal, ph is a little high and alk is a little low, but nothing out of the ordinary.  Water smells fine...any ideas on how to tone down the cloudy bubbles.  Bubbles to me seem white airy.  Will be having guests over Saturday and I wonder if I need to maybe drain 1/2 my tub and go from there....

Thanks

The Opacity of the water changes with the air blowers on.  To a degree I think  this is normal,  but I have noticed that the worse it gets, (takes longer to clear)  seems to be an indication of time to change the water, or at least that's how it seemed to be with my Nordic.  (current tub only has limiteed blowers, and hardly used).  However, I do see a similliar  effect just with turning on the jets, the water is churned up and I  try to notice how quick it settles and clears.  I also wonder about quick settleing bubbles, (not soap foam) . These tiny bubbles have an effervescent quality to them,  and seem to be more prevelent as it gets closer to change the water.

I always wondered if the blower opacity and fizzy bubbles were  an effect of TDS?

?   ?    ?   ?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:33:28 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 09:38:28 am »

The Opacity of the water changes with the air blowers on.  To a degree I think  this is normal,  but I have noticed that the worse it gets, (takes longer to clear)  seems to be an indication of time to change the water, or at least that's how it seemed to be with my Nordic.  (current tub only has limiteed blowers, and hardly used).  However, I do see a similliar  effect just with turning on the jets, the water is churned up and I  try to notice how quick it settles and clears.  I also wonder about quick settleing bubbles, (not soap foam) . These tiny bubbles have an effervescent quality to them,  and seem to be more prevelent as it gets closer to change the water.

I always wondered if the blower opacity and fizzy bubbles were  an effect of TDS?

?   ?    ?   ?

Yeah, drewstar, I believe you hit the nail on the head again.  I just changed my 4 mon. old water last weekend and it was easy to see how the bubbles cleared so quickly with the new water.  Seems like they take a bit longer to get to the surface with old, TDS ladened water.

Aaaahhhhh, love that new water!
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 09:50:14 am »
Yup. New fresh water clears and settles and clears imediaently.   I use this as part of my quage of water quality.

I look at the water before getting into it.

I smell.

I turn the jets on and noticed for foaming and opacity of the water.

I turn the jets off and see how long it takes to clear as well as any effervescent foaming.

however, does the degree of  "milking" that occurs with the air blowers on also  be a condition/indication of water quality?
07 Caldera Geneva

devilwoman

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 10:18:53 am »
Thanks all, really appreciate your responses and well I can't stand it any longer...I am going to do the big change today.  Switching to dichlor and N2 and dumping the water today.  I'm a litter scared, like the first time I filled my tub.  This will be it's first dump  :o you know what I mean.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 10:26:25 am »
Devil,

You're up in the frozen north, right? (How'd the tub do you this winter?)

I am curious, how long did your water last?

07 Caldera Geneva

devilwoman

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 11:00:33 am »
Devil,

You're up in the frozen north, right? (How'd the tub do you this winter?)

I am curious, how long did your water last?

Yes indeed, I live in Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula. I got the tub on Aug 14th sunk it into the deck on the 15 and filled it up not long after that and that is the water that has been in it ever since.  

As far as the tub is concerned...I love it...never have had any problems...and shouldn't since it is less than 1 year old.   I was somewhat discouraged at the heating costs however.  After the first couple of winter months we began using the Economy setting but still I'm not to convinced it saved us that much money.  Heating costs up here in Alaska have jumped a great deal in the last two years and so the winter months were rather surprising this year with the tub  :o.  But we are not much into snowmobiles and don't ski much ( some snowshoeing ) so the cost in electricity I guess are ok since we don't do too much in the winter.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:05:30 am by devilwoman »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 11:04:10 am »

Yes indeed, I live in Alaska on the Kenai Peninsula. I got the tub on Aug 14th sunk it into the deck on the 15 and filled it up not long after that and that is the water that has been in it ever since.  

That's pretty damn good. Most new tubs require a change out after a few weeks.  And even folks with some expereince under thier belts change it out 3-5 months out.

07 Caldera Geneva

devilwoman

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 11:14:12 am »

That's pretty damn good. Most new tubs require a change out after a few weeks.  And even folks with some expereince under thier belts change it out 3-5 months out.

:D well I don't consider myself very experienced but LOL, I was pretty anual about the chemicals and cleaning the filters every week whether they need it or not.  Our ph was and is always high but never over 8.0.  with the soft soak it just seemed it was always a chore to keep things into balance.  I don't know what dichlor and N2 will bring but I am sure there will be give and take with both systems.  I ordered the Metal Out and it has not come yet...so I guess I will need to wait on changing the water until that arrives...should be today or tomorrow.  

Anyway I cant tell you how much I have learned from this forum and you all.  I just want to say thanks to everyone who responds and provide encouragement and support, because my dealer is a total weiner.  Never answers his phone or email and never set me up with all the chemicals or filters I needed...a jerk to say the least.  But I have survived and have friends here in Alaska that have a tub that have helped me as well.  Again thanks and wish me luck with this water change!!   :-/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:15:52 am by devilwoman »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 11:20:23 am »
is the longevity possibly due to using soft soak? I'm not familiar with the stuff, but I've read posts from people that've used chlorine or bromine, and even without heavy usage, it seems the water fouls within about the first 60 days or so....silly question, but if it's made the water last this long, why are you switching? (curiosity makes me ask the silliest things)
RIP C-Rod

devilwoman

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 11:24:51 am »
Spouse is allergic to the Soft soak chemicals, (we think, pretty sure anyway) sinus infections.  We have friends that use to use chlorine and it never was a problem, but they switched to Baqua similar to soft soak and the sinus infections began....anyway seems to be the common demominator.  So we are gonna switch and see if it has a positive effect on the sinus problem.

devilwoman

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 11:29:59 am »
Perfectly normal when air is added to the mix.  For those who soak "au naturale", the bubbles provide a bit of "privacy".....not that I'm abdicating such..... :o

:o I go "au naturale" at night   ;D.  As soon as the privacy fence is finished we will be able to do the birthday suit all the time!! ;)

windsurfdog

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 12:45:53 pm »

:o I go "au naturale" at night   ;D.  As soon as the privacy fence is finished we will be able to do the birthday suit all the time!! ;)

YIKES!  Now when is a good time for you....I'm available most anytime..... ::)

devilwoman

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 01:07:21 pm »
YIKES!  Now when is a good time for you....I'm available most anytime..... ::)

;) just say the word.  LOL

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 01:07:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42