What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shocking Electric billsssss  (Read 4350 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Shocking Electric billsssss
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:54:00 pm »
I know others have asked before on here about higher than expected electric bills. My electric company had had a rate increase and tax changes so I am not even going to talk dollars.  Because my bills were so very high after getting my tub, I made a very conscious effort to eliminate any extra sources of unusual electric usage other than my tub.
these include:
I am drying my clothes on the clothes lines and only use my dryer when I really have to.
I have no outdoor lights on timers or photocells to come on when no one is using them.
I have turned off the extra refrigerator in our basement.
We don't use electric to heat our hot water and I have no space heaters.
I add my chemicals only when my tub is in a clean cycle and don't run the jets to off gass the shock, just leave the cover off for 10-15 mins during that clean cycle. So the tub has not been open an unusual amount of time.
We use the tub almost daily, for about 1 hour.
Last year usage for this same time of year Feb-Mar was
33.2kWh per day  This year,  same time period is 69.6 kWh per day!
Should my hot tub use as much electricity as my entire household?
I am stunned!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 02:56:19 pm by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Shocking Electric billsssss
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:54:00 pm »

nicker

Re: Shocking Electric billsssss
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 03:05:12 pm »
The answer to that is NO.  I can not see why your usage would double!

I am not sure of what my actually useage is but I know the increase in $$$ was about $25.00 at MOST and that is during the winter months only.

Perhaps the tub is not wired up correctly?  I would get something checked out.  That is very high.

Snyper

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 03:08:14 pm »
Mine bill only went up between $13-$17 since installed in freezing January. Perhaps you need to get your electric company a call?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 05:18:39 pm »
Snyper we have the same tub , I think, an Epic. If this is real my tub is out of here....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 05:19:32 pm by Bonibelle »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 07:53:29 pm »
bonne, something is not right.  There is absolutely no way your tub should be using that much electricity.  I agree, double check the wire hook up and also check your filter settings, maybe the tub is running 24/7.  

Never get rid of the tub.  a friend at work told me he hooked up his tub to 110 and he could actually see the meter spinning out of control.  Maybe the electrician only hooked up 110 instead of 220.  that would make sense to me.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 09:27:03 pm »
we had a customer who played with their control panel and had the spa filtering 23 out 24 hours in the day which also caused a problem with heat creep....once we showed them what was going on all was fine....

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 10:36:42 pm »
Bonibelle, how much do you pay for electricity? I'll trade you bills anytime.   :D
I'm paying over $.20 per Kwh in So. Cal. and I live with a house full of women...... ::)
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:49:37 pm »
My bill last month was over $300.  A $90 increase over the month before.  Thats what I got for running my jets a couple hours a day for a week trying to get the water clear again and then ending up doing a dump/refill.  I hadn't noticed a real change in the bill the 3 months prior.  

I will start selling of J's personal belongings before I ever get rid of the tub.   :)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 12:16:21 am »
My typical pre-hot tub bill averaged around $130.00. In the summer with 3 air conditioning units running, it would peak at about $190. Since I got the tub, I have paid (including the one I got today) $1208.00. That is December through 1/2 of the month of March! That averages $340.00 a month. Something has to be wrong. My friend has a Lowes special hot tub, lousy insulation, and his only puts his bill up $60.00 a month!
I called the electrician last month and told him I was concerned that something wasnt right, but I decided to try to pay real close attention to things that would contribute to such a high bill this past month. Well in spite of my best efforts, this bill is still outrageous! He is coming next week. Bosco, is it possible to hook the tub to a 110 instead of 220 and it still run OK? Wouldn't I notice problems with the tub? And Mendo, I am sure that my tub is only performing 2, 2hour clean cycles in a 24 hour period and it is locked so that it cant be accidentally changed. I am serious about getting rid of the tub, I am that upset!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 12:21:38 am »
 At our store keeping 4 and sometimes 5 spas wet plus lights....comptuers....fridge....tv....stereo......just normal things in the winter is less than 200.00...about 350 in the summer when we run the air.....so I think something is not right.....

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 12:31:07 am »
Is it possible that they only have it on a 110 line, Mendo? This electircian works with my dealer and he has installed tons of tubs. The day he worked at my house he mainly watched and two young guys ran the wire, and hooked it into my box. I do know that somehow he switched out one of my breakers and made it into a double breaker in the electric panel. The goofy inspector that just showed up the other day didn't even want to see my hookup in the basement. He just looked for a 110 GFI near the tub and slapped on that sticker. I am just hoping that they have hooked something up wrong because, seriously, I couldn't afford to pay these kind of electric bills and it is really upsetting me.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 12:44:32 am »
Gombo, from my bill it looks like our rate is $0.0657 pr. kWh. If we trade bills, we trade houses  ;D Address..Please  ;D

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 01:01:29 am »
Bonibelle, wow, something doesn't seem right. How many Kwh's did you use last month? I'm paying three times what you do for electricity per Kwh.  Something's not right there.   ???  

I doubt it's the tub, but maybe your dealer can put a meter on the spa just to make sure. Are you sure nothing else has changed in your household? Have the bills gone up only since you had the tub installed.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 01:13:01 am »
I just looked at past electric bills for Feb-mar:

2004-before hottub= 1378 kw @.066=90.98

2005-with SA Reward= 1870 kw@ .066=123.42

2006-with Epic=1966kw@.071=$139.58

of course there must have been variables but nothing unusual,  just normal living.  
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Snyper

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 01:16:23 am »
I am running 110, so that can't be the problem.

Perhaps your neighbors tapped into your line to grow some pot?   ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 01:16:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42