What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Neglected tub... slime... how do I fix?  (Read 18672 times)

Orthofunk

Neglected tub... slime... how do I fix?
« on: March 26, 2006, 11:44:10 am »
OK... so it's been a rough winter, and I have neglected the hottub.
Yesterday I notice there is slime around the filter, and a few slimy strands floating in the water... gross!

I did a super shock and got all may levels to the right place, but I am concerned there may be a bacterial infestation in my plumbing!

What is the best way to restore my hottub to health?

I promise not to neglect it again.

Hot Tub Forum

Neglected tub... slime... how do I fix?
« on: March 26, 2006, 11:44:10 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Neglected tub... slime... how do I fix?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 11:49:46 am »
Look into a product called swirl away and use that.  This will require a dump and refill, but it sounds like the perfect thing.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 11:56:08 am »
I promise not to neglect it again.

Since you promised  ;) ... I would hit the tub with a cup of dichlor and let it sit in the tub for at least 24 hours making sure that you run the pumps for a minimum of 1 hour during that time. I would also make sure to turn every knob - diverter, air and what have you occasionally to make the water hit EVERYWHERE in the valve. I would also get a solution of bleach and water and wash down all the surface areas not in the water (maybe a couple of times).

I probably would use a tub cleaning product like swirl away to really clean out the plumbing. Then dump the water AND throw out the filters.

I would fill again, run the pumps to rinse and dump the water again.

Buy new filters, fill up the tub and continue with as new refill.

Snyper

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 12:15:08 pm »
I probably would use a tub cleaning product like swirl away to really clean out the plumbing. Then dump the water AND throw out the filters.

This is what I'd do as well.

Anoroc

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 01:25:54 pm »
Buy a new hot tub ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 02:24:27 pm »

I would hit the tub with a cup of dichlor and let it sit in the tub for at least 24 hours making sure that you run the pumps for a minimum of 1 hour during that time. I would also make sure to turn every knob - diverter, air and what have you occasionally to make the water hit EVERYWHERE in the valve. I would also get a solution of bleach and water and wash down all the surface areas not in the water (maybe a couple of times).

Been there, done that.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Micah

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 03:00:40 pm »

Since you promised  ;) ... I would hit the tub with a cup of dichlor and let it sit in the tub for at least 24 hours making sure that you run the pumps for a minimum of 1 hour during that time. I would also make sure to turn every knob - diverter, air and what have you occasionally to make the water hit EVERYWHERE in the valve. I would also get a solution of bleach and water and wash down all the surface areas not in the water (maybe a couple of times).

Vinny nailed it, swirl away wont kill the bacteria di-clor the heck out of it first
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 06:21:58 pm »
and don't forget to clean the underside of the cover thoroughly, as well!
RIP C-Rod

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 11:29:05 pm »
Do the vinnny treatment.

Had to do it to my Solana TX since I had not looked at it since Disney- 4weeks. I know better, but it happens.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

nicker

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 04:22:19 pm »
ok sorry but that is what happens when you neglect your tub.  I don't even bother adding and shock or anything your water is too far gone as far as I am concerned.   Dont waste your time or chemicles.  I would how ever add some swirl away to your tub follow the instructions (remove your filters) and run it a full cycle maybe two (in you case 2 maybe be better) then drain it rinse the tub and refill and run again with just the new water (no chemicles) then drain again.  The reason I say drain again is I have used that swirl away and it is powerful stuff.  Bascially it is a detergent.  If you don't do the second drain you will still have some in your lines and it could get foamy.  

Good luck

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 09:28:27 am »
I agree with Nicker: don't bother to sanize this mess.  Drain it and flush with Swirl away.  Rinse a lot.  Clean behnd the pillows, under the cover.  Run the swirl away through all the lines (open and closing the diverters). Invest in some new filters.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 09:29:40 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 12:10:11 pm »
ok sorry but that is what happens when you neglect your tub.  I don't even bother adding and shock or anything your water is too far gone as far as I am concerned.  

Yes the water may be too far gone but you MUST hit it hard with chlorine before draining because you will not be able to get 100% of the water out of the spa. If you're going to leave some behind you don't want it to be the slimy water but you want it to be sanitized slimy water.

Start with a good sized shock before your first drain.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 12:13:35 pm »

Yes the water may be too far gone but you MUST hit it hard with chlorine before draining because you will not be able to get 100% of the water out of the spa. If you're going to leave some behind you don't want it to be the slimy water but you want it to be sanitized slimy water.

Start with a good sized shock before your first drain.

Deosn't the swirl away sanitize?
07 Caldera Geneva

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 02:43:13 pm »
two weeks ago, I went outside and I hadnt added bromine in 6 days.  i opened the tub and it was ugly.  The water was very cloudy and the water almost looked milky.  

I was about to shock it but said screw it.  I drained it out, cleaned and refill.

why even risk it.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 03:45:03 pm »

Deosn't the swirl away sanitize?

No it doesn't.

It will clean the tub (possibly 100%, possibly not).

I don't understand how anyone wouldn't nuke their tub before a drain after it's been neglected. I have negleted my tub once last summer and before draining, I hit it hard with dichlor.

How much does a cup of dichlor cost - about $1.00, not even. Piece of mind is worth $1,000,000 IMO. Will anyone catch Hot Tub Rash without disinfecting it - who knows.

As far what Spatech t.u.o. said about slimy water, I would hope that the swirl away would clean the slime and then the drain/refill/run pumps/drain would get rid of the slimy water.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 03:45:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42