What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: haggle  (Read 11626 times)

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
Re: haggle
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 01:31:55 pm »
TN...... Don't shortchange yourself on a few extras that you would like to have, you will have this many years, and you will get to enjoy those extras for a long time

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 01:31:55 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 02:11:17 pm »
As previously mentioned, some dealers allow room for negotiation by increasing the price and discounting to show perceived value and some show value by added products such as lifters, steps, etc.

When I purchase any big ticket item, I always ask for their very best price first and tell them that I'm not negotiating it so make your first offer your best! By that stage though, I’ve done my homework and I’m ready to make a buying decision.

If you are going to haggle, you have to complete a number of things first. Mainly, you need to understand the true price of the product and its features to clearly determine value. You need to know other tubs in your area and give yourself an accurate comparison and not just based on PRICE! In other words, don’t go into a spa store, get the price and ask for a better deal unless you are prepared to buy!

The reason many dealers don’t display price is that consumers have NO IDEA if $7000 is a good price and good value for THAT particular item until the have a clear understanding of the product itself and it’s features. If at a show and someone comes up and asks how much that spa is, I’ll say $8000..Is that a good deal? It’s interesting to hear the answers! People have no clue and can't answer that question until they have reached a certain level of understanding.

Steve

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 02:14:17 pm »
?Have them throw in a free rubber duck.

A hot tub without a rubber duck is just useless.

*LOL* Personally, I LIKE ducks....and rubber cows....I got the "family" type (1 adult, 3 kidlets) at a party store down the road....$3.99.....these are the GOOD floaters!
RIP C-Rod

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 06:24:43 pm »
I am not a dealer ( of any type ) so I feel I can say this.
It's ok to ask for the best price they can give you and to try to do well with the xtras, steps,cover lifter, start up chems etc. But remember one thing ........... Your dealer is entitled to a profit, It is also in your best interest that  he makes one too! It's a whole lot nicer ( in most cases ) dealing with the same people year after year. I do run a business and I can tell you it's human nature to take better care of those whom are loyal and don't beat you up on price all the time........... Feel good about you purchase, be happy with your tub but don't feel bad if someone here pays a little less that you did......... it all always seems to come out in the wash anyway

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 06:58:41 pm »

Circulation pump is another $300.  I don't think we're interested in adding that.  Dealer suggested not paying for that, since the spa already has a cleaning cycle.  With the one 6HP pump, you can use the diverter valves to shut off half the jets. Going with two 3HP pumps, there is no diverter valve...you just shut off one pump.  I like the idea of being able to use the 6HP pump on half the jets.

I'd love to add extra pumps, extra jets, extra this, extra that...i just don't want to spend the cash-ola on all the extra do-dads.

I agree with jsimo7 with don't shortchange yourself. Get what you want/need but remember that you'll be living with this thing for many years ... $1000 saved now is $100 a year for 10 years.

As far as do-dads - I guess it's how you look at it. I own one and it's nice when there's more than one person in the tub, I don't have shut down a seat to get therapy and all the seats can get great therapy at any time.  

That's what's great about this line you can get it however you want!

Good Luck!

shabba34

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 08:08:14 pm »
I hope some don't see this as being unjust, but having a family run business that has no sales personnel operating on commissions, I won't hesitate to send the persistent haggler down the road.  If he/she can't except that the price I am offering "IS" the best available, and they hammer me and hammer me (Easy Drewstar ;D), then I will politely let them know that in the long term, you are not the type of customer I want to deal with.  It turns some off, and others appreciate the cander.  The ones that are turned off, I am happy to see walk out the door.  

I realize everyone wants to feel that the got a great deal...Well....This approach kinda lets them know there not getting screwed. ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 09:43:52 pm by pkud »

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 09:39:55 pm »
I've got his offer in writing.  I think i'll ask if he can throw in something.  Never hurts to ask.  Somehow i feel he might see the benefit in letting me have a "free" lifter for the $5,000 tub. I don't think it'll be a deal breaker, or that  I'll walk away if he won't.

I've not haggled or been unruly...i guess i figure it can't hurt to ask him to throw in something.  He can always just say no...and so can I.  

He's entitled to an honest profit, but I'd be a fool not to kindly ask for a "freebie."   I somehow think that not every single person that has bought a tub has always paid for every single add-on.  
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

shabba34

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 09:58:21 pm »
Asking for a free lifter, or $100 steps etc.. is expected.

It's this type of senario:

Sales P: That spa is 8,995.00

Cust:  I'll give you 8,000.00

Sales P:  I'm sorry, that's my best price

Cust:  I'll give you 8,000.00 tax incl

Sales P:  If you have an 8,000.00 budget, I'll be happy to show you some spas in your price range

Cust:  I can buy any spa you have, but I'm gonna get what I want for price I wanna pay

and so on....

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 10:14:33 pm »
Asking for a free lifter, or $100 steps etc.. is expected.

It's this type of senario:

Sales P: That spa is 8,995.00

Cust:  I'll give you 8,000.00

Sales P:  I'm sorry, that's my best price

Cust:  I'll give you 8,000.00 tax incl

Sales P:  If you have an 8,000.00 budget, I'll be happy to show you some spas in your price range

Cust:  I can buy any spa you have, but I'm gonna get what I want for price I wanna pay

and so on....

Dealer:  The lifter costs $150
Customer:  If i buy a tub, could you throw it in for free?
Dealer:  No
Customer:  You mean to tell me that you've never thrown in a $150 lifter to a customer that just bought a $5,000 tub from you?
Dealer:  That's right...that is why EVERYTHING in here is clearly marked with a price tag.  :D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 09:03:53 am »
I hope some don't see this as being unjust, but having a family run business that has no sales personnel operating on commissions, I won't hesitate to send the persistent haggler down the road.  If he/she can't except that the price I am offering "IS" the best available, and they hammer me and hammer me (Easy Drewstar ;D), then I will politely let them know that in the long term, you are not the type of customer I want to deal with.  It turns some off, and others appreciate the cander.  The ones that are turned off, I am happy to see walk out the door.  

I realize everyone wants to feel that the got a great deal...Well....This approach kinda lets them know there not getting screwed. ;)

Huh. I guess I come across differntly in the written word than in person.  ;)  

I'm a great  customer and will "haggle" and bargin and shop around, but I'm not an a-hole about it. There is a thing called tact, and it's about dealing with salesfolks in a polite manner that allows you to deal, but not be combative, or try to nickle and dime the seller.

Haggleing isn't necessaryly a diryt word.   Shop around, know what  the competive prices are.  When your ready to make a deal, then deal.  Ask what's the best price they can do, and since, if you've done your homework, you'll know if the seller is being forthright.  Look at the prices of all the items included seperatley and bundled.   It's all about creating a relationship with the dealer and getting a square deal.  Asking about it and investigating it is part of the process.  

It's the customers that think haggeling has to be a aggresive, or beating the dealer situation that is wrong.

Perhaps a nicer word would be "negotating your best deal".

How's that sound?

;)
07 Caldera Geneva

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 09:50:57 am »
I think I'll ask if they can do a little better and/or throw me a discount on some of the accesories and/or upgrades.

What's the harm in politely asking?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 09:57:54 am »
I'm of the same mindset as pkud.  We don't necessarily want everyone who walks through our door to be our customer.  

Offer your best price up front, negotiate some on the accessories.  If the spa's on sale, you're not getting anything "thrown in".  It get's to a point where it's not worth making a deal, from a dealer's standpoint.

TN_HOT_TUB, it doesn't hurt to ask.  Good luck! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
Re: haggle...MY 2 CENTS...
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 10:13:30 am »
Just went through it on a Sundance Bahia floor model 2005.

Spa listed at $7799 w/stereo cd, ozonator etc.  We looked at the spa and showed some interest.  Dealer said floor model is on sale at $5999.99 because we MUST MOVE OLD STOCK to make room for new.

Wife and I thought about it, went back and said we'll give you asking price but we need three things:  1) same as cash 12 months 2) lifter 3) 1 month before delivery to prep the spot (they had originally wanted immediate delivery).  He said OK!  

We were happy with the deal and so was the dealer and many on this board have confirmed the deal as pretty darn good which makes us feel even better.  

Electrician will be out tonight...adding more posts to existing deck this weekend....spa delivery coundown is 21 days (or sooner if we can get prep work done!!!)

Good luck and remember, a reputable dealer can be worth a couple extra dollars in the long run.

Dave in Cleveland
Better than I deserve...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: haggle...MY 2 CENTS...
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 10:17:15 am »
Just went through it on a Sundance Bahia floor model 2005.

Spa listed at $7799 w/stereo cd, ozonator etc.  We looked at the spa and showed some interest.  Dealer said floor model is on sale at $5999.99 because we MUST MOVE OLD STOCK to make room for new.

Wife and I thought about it, went back and said we'll give you asking price but we need three things:  1) same as cash 12 months 2) lifter 3) 1 month before delivery to prep the spot (they had originally wanted immediate delivery).  He said OK!  

We were happy with the deal and so was the dealer and many on this board have confirmed the deal as pretty darn good which makes us feel even better.  

Electrician will be out tonight...adding more posts to existing deck this weekend....spa delivery coundown is 21 days (or sooner if we can get prep work done!!!)

Good luck and remember,

Dave in Cleveland

You got a great deal.

I don't understand why you say.."a reputable dealer can be worth a couple extra dollars in the long run."

this guy save you $2K upfront.  ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

Chris_H

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 10:35:25 am »
If you go to that dealer with 50 $100 dollar bills you will get the deal with a coverlift and probably save a couple bucks in tax.

When negotiating, make sure you are in their office and not on the sales floor and lay the cash in front of the salesperson.  Trust me they won’t walk away from the deal, but you need to be willing.  

I believe someone on this forum did this.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 10:35:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42