What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: haggle  (Read 11627 times)

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
haggle
« on: March 21, 2006, 10:16:06 pm »
Is it considered bad form to haggle with a spa dealer?  

How much wiggle room do the dealers have? Do dealers routinely their price and throw in a few extras? (lifters, chemicals, accessories, etc.)

What's the best way to get these guys to cough up some of these extras?
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

haggle
« on: March 21, 2006, 10:16:06 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: haggle
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:22:27 pm »
This question has been asked 1,000's of times!

Some people do and some don't. Some dealers have honest pricing and some don't. There's no real answer.

I didn't haggle with my dealer ... The price I was given was an excellent price IMO when compared to other tubs in my area that I looked at.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 12:23:26 am »
Don't know the answer but no doubt it varies.

I went with a dealer I felt good about, made it clear I was going to buy somewhere and liked his product and then asked for his best price. What I got seemed fair (it already included the usual assortment of extras, didn't have to ask for them). So I made the deal. Maybe there was another couple hundred I could have haggled for but i feel like I will make up for it in service down the road if the dealer sees me as a customer worth trying to please. And I am getting my moneys worth as I don't hesitate to call with questions. I always get a response.

At least so far!

I will be calling again tomorrow as I had an error message on my panel this evening even though it went away and the spa seemed to function OK tonight.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 08:30:40 am »
I think this is a sore spot for many shoppers, or at least  a frustrating one.  Many dealers don't provide a stated price, or allude to being able to work out a deal or some sort of "sale". This, I belive gives the consumer the impression that there is indeed room to haggle. Espcially so, if the salesperson is on a comission.

I belive that everything is negotiable.  8)   And that there is absolutely no harm in asking what a salesperson can do to help with the price, or sweeten the deal.  I belive a consumer would be foolish not to try and get the best deal for his money.   Of course there is an art to it or maybe having a bit of tact when haggleing.

I say shop around, and absolutely try to negotiate the best deal possible.  Just don't be surprised if the salesman says "No."

07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 08:37:50 am »
Drewstar nailed it.  This gets asked constantly, and there is no pat answer.  
Some dealers may post prices knowing that there will be some dickering.  Others may post the price they will sell the spa for, and that's that.  
Nothing wrong with trying to get a deal, but don't get obsessed with it.  I've said it before- you'll quickly forget about what you paid for your spa as soon as your caboose sits down in that water for the first time..
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 08:40:37 am »
I didn't haggle the price on the Grandee, but I was already getting a "cash" discount of just over $300. I did, however, ask what was included....I recall being told the steps OR coverlift, or if I wanted both, one was 50% off. I just asked if he could throw BOTH in at no cost. No problem.
I've also gone in to pick up a couple things (I'm antsy, what can I say?) and when I picked up a rubber duck and test strips, was told they were free, not to worry. I was ready to pay for both...  ;D
RIP C-Rod

RayF-1

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 09:22:13 am »
Pay 'da man for 'da tub .. deal on the accessories.

How about a swing-arm umbrella at dealer cost?  How about a several-year supply of filters? Fancy surround and steps?

You get the idea!      

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 11:40:55 am »
Pay 'da man for 'da tub .. deal on the accessories.

How about a swing-arm umbrella at dealer cost?  How about a several-year supply of filters? Fancy surround and steps?

You get the idea!      

Had I taken that route, I would have paid about $1600 more for the tub and the accessories.
You get the idea!
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 11:56:25 am »
My advice?  Be sincere and be indecisive.  I don't know if there is another industry with more "looky-Lew"s. I'm guessing most offers come upon the 2nd-4th time a customer visits a dealer.  Having knowledge of their competitor's tub implies sincerity in buying and might also loosen up an offer.

That said, educate yourself on what a good deal is and not alienate a dealer who gives you a great deal right off the start.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 12:35:53 pm »
I had him work up a quote for me today.  It's an Artesian Isalnd Grand Cayman with 32 jets and one 6HP pump.  $4,799 + tax (which appears to be a real good offer in Knoxville).

24 months same as cash. I asked if they'd discount for cash payment...they won't since finance is done with local credit company and not in house.

Some of the options we're interested in (at a cost)
$150 cover lifter
$150 ozonator
$75 neck waterfall
$300 for extra two year warranty (4th year and 5th year). Island has just 3 year standard warranty.

I guess it won't hurt to ask if they'll throw some of these extras in (if not for free, maybe at a discount).

RPG

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 12:47:22 pm »
I had him work up a quote for me today.  It's an Artesian Isalnd Grand Cayman with 32 jets and one 6HP pump.  $4,799 + tax (which appears to be a real good offer in Knoxville).

How can they sell that spa that cheap and remain in business?  It looks like a well-made spa and I've heard nothing but good things about Artesian BUT, that is a very, very low price?

Chaka Pacuni

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 12:52:17 pm »

24 months same as cash. I asked if they'd discount for cash payment...they won't since finance is done with local credit company and not in house.

Some of the options we're interested in (at a cost)
$150 cover lifter
$150 ozonator
$75 neck waterfall
$300 for extra two year warranty (4th year and 5th year). Island has just 3 year standard warranty.

I guess it won't hurt to ask if they'll throw some of these extras in (if not for free, maybe at a discount).

My opinion is that this tub will be a  little underpowered unless you wet tested already and like the feel. My 56 jet Cayman has 2 -  6 BHP pumps and another 3 BHP pump for the foot jets.

I wouldn't and didn't pay the extra money on the extended warranty, my dealer really said it was a waste of money.

Waterfall - some love it some don't.

Ozonator - buy it but you don't really need ozone for a clean  tub. The nice thing with Artesian is you can control the amount of time the ozonator runs with the circ pump option.

Cover lifter - Definately and have them install it.

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 12:53:29 pm »

How can they sell that spa that cheap and remain in business?  It looks like a well-made spa and I've heard nothing but good things about Artesian BUT, that is a very, very low price?

Chaka Pacuni

They charge extra for the bubbles.   ;D

Compared to the other spas in this price range, I'd agree...it's a nice tub for a nice price.  The other $5,000 spas that I've seen elsewhere don't measure up.

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 01:01:37 pm »

My opinion is that this tub will be a  little underpowered unless you wet tested already and like the feel. My 56 jet Cayman has 2 -  6 BHP pumps and another 3 BHP pump for the foot jets.

I wouldn't and didn't pay the extra money on the extended warranty, my dealer really said it was a waste of money.

Waterfall - some love it some don't.

Ozonator - buy it but you don't really need ozone for a clean  tub. The nice thing with Artesian is you can control the amount of time the ozonator runs with the circ pump option.

Cover lifter - Definately and have them install it.

Circulation pump is another $300.  I don't think we're interested in adding that.  Dealer suggested not paying for that, since the spa already has a cleaning cycle.  With the one 6HP pump, you can use the diverter valves to shut off half the jets. Going with two 3HP pumps, there is no diverter valve...you just shut off one pump.  I like the idea of being able to use the 6HP pump on half the jets.

I'd love to add extra pumps, extra jets, extra this, extra that...i just don't want to spend the cash-ola on all the extra do-dads.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 01:31:05 pm »
?Have them throw in a free rubber duck.

A hot tub without a rubber duck is just useless.
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 01:31:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42