What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How many pumps  (Read 21837 times)

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Re: How many pumps
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 10:40:06 pm »
I ALMOST agree with every one else. There is only one statement I take issue with, but the poster disclaimed it by useing the word "arguably" in front of the rest of the statement. None the less, This whole pump number and hp thing just astounds me. If you really want to research this, find a pool builder that DOESNOT sell spas. Ask him to show you a 6 hp pump. You will soon realize that the sheer weight and size of a pump of that size is prohibitive in use in a self contained spa. A true 6 hp motor, WITHOUT the wet end is about 2 feet in length, add the wet end and now the complete pump is 2'6" now add the discharge and suction plumbing and the dang thing will never fit inside a cabinet. However, if you like their sales presentation and you think the product will work for you, then buy the thing, just be sure you realize what you are buying.

Not not to start yet another FF/TP debate, but TP spas I would think would have more room with which to work.  So perhaps it is possble for Master to have a 6 bhp pump or two under there.  I'd be more likely to challenge the amperage draw.  They claim 2-6hp pumps plus a3.5hp plus a circ pump, all with a 50 amp requirement.  The three main pumps I would think would be awfully close to maxing out the breaker.  But since I don't know the exact amp draw specs, it's only speculation.

As mentioned, a wet test is the best way to determine the feel of the jets vs flow.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 10:40:06 pm »

J._McD

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 10:59:25 pm »
stl-rex, raises a good point, to verify horse power take the voltage (230) times the amperage (11-13 or whatever?) that will give you watts,  and reduce that by the safety factor listed on the pump specifications label, usually 10% and divide by 742 (the # of watts in 1 hp).  

In this equation that would be 230x11=2530 x10% = -253 =2277 /742= 3.1 horsepower, 13 amps would be 3.6 hp

And that is the TRUTH about horsepower.  I don't care what they say it is, amps tell the truth.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 10:52:54 am »
My caspian has 2 pumps.  One is a 2hp  2 speed pump. the other is a single speed 2 hp pump.  (there is also a circ pump for the tub as well).

These 2 pumps provide more than enough therapy for me.

As J_McD said, you can only sit in one seat at a time, but remember, you probably will have more than one person in the tub at a time. It's nice to be able to have the tub running and everything pumping out at once.

As others have said, the true way to tell is to wet test and compare these tubs with the pumps going  and the jets and diverters all open and in different configurations.

:D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:53:18 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 03:02:41 pm »
I agree with Drew. That is why I gave my west test observations about the Beachcomber model 750.  I don’t think pump power should be a deciding factor.  I had it narrowed down to 3 Spa brands and wet tested each before purchasing.

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 04:37:13 pm »
I do not know about Master spas but the HP numbers on the Beachcomber are continuous HP.  Not Break HP like Bob declared.

I down loaded Beachcombers manual as you suggested, but did not see where they state that HP is continuous and not break. It took awhile of looking around on the internet but I did find one pump manufacturer that states there biggest spa pump is rated for 4hp continuous (Aqua-Flow). So I guess there are spa pumps out there that are rated this high. Not sure what type of pumps Beachcomber uses. Of course since we seem to be in agreement that pump HP is not a deciding factor in purchasing a tub, this argument might be getting a little silly. But I am interested in where you came by the information that BC rates there pumps in continuous HP

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 04:57:37 pm »
We use true 4hp pumps on our swim spas.  They list for around $1500-2000 and utilize 4" plumbing.  

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 05:00:18 pm »
I looked at my pump.  The label on the pump said continious HP.  I figured since my tub matched the manual they all must.

Duffman

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 09:13:01 pm »
I agree with most of the comments above. It's not the number of pumps, or the horsepower, or any dealer claims that matter... It's how the jets feel when you are wet testing that matter.

Here's an excerpt from my wet test report that defines what I firmly believe is the best apples-to-apples comparison you can make when comparing power between spas. I call it the Balanced Power Test.

Balanced Power Test Instructions: Set all jet pumps to full power, balance all diverter valves, spend time in every seat, and reach a conclusion based on feel.

For this test a spa should rate well if you get an enjoyable massage in all seats and with the foot jets; the more intense the balanced power, the better the grade. A spa will fail this test if the jets provide low to mild pressure when balancing the valves.

Reasons to use the Balanced Power Test:  

• The results of this test should help make a more informed decision when considering a trade-off between price and power. Some people might decide to save money by purchasing a lower cost spa and using the diverters more.

• As an engineer I don’t think it is valid to judge a spa's performance by looking at the horsepower or CFM rating of the pumps. Any dealer who claims their spa is the most powerful is giving you a sales pitch. There are too many factors that contribute to how the spa actually feels when you are sitting in it. Examples include: number and diameter of the jets, actual power applied at the motor during use vs. the maximum rated power for the pumps, friction resistance due to the length of plumbing lines, number of right angles in the pipes, volume of water in the spa, etc...

• It is my opinion believe that a spa that can give good power to all seats will provide a much more intense massage when that power is diverted to one or more specific seats.

• During my wet tests of numerous brands I have found many spas that provide a good massage to all seats simultaneously. I have tried some that fail in this regard. Also, some of the spas I tested are designed with diverter valve restrictions and are simply incapable of enabling all jets simultaneously.  It is up to you to determine if this is important.

The full wet test report and "how to buy a spa" advice is located at http://www.members.cox.net/duffman471/Spa_Wet_Testing_Analysis.htm
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 09:20:05 pm by Duffman »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 12:11:27 am »
How many pumps should a hot tub have.

At least one.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 04:13:44 pm »
Duffman,

The Beachcomber hot tubs I tested (580 and 750) will not far well with all of the jets on and the foot jets on.  You definitely notice a reduction in power.  If all of the jets are on and not the foot jets then you do not notice any power issues, but with the foot jets and the all the seats on it is a more mellow massage.  But I still bought the Beachcomber.

Duffman

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2006, 09:58:55 pm »
The Beachcomber hot tubs I tested (580 and 750) will not far well with all of the jets on and the foot jets on.  You definitely notice a reduction in power.  If all of the jets are on and not the foot jets then you do not notice any power issues, but with the foot jets and the all the seats on it is a more mellow massage.  But I still bought the Beachcomber.

I hope you get many years of enjoyment from your Beachcomber. Since there is no such thing as the perfect hot tub, your wet test opinions and preferences is definitely the way to find the best spa for you. Congratulations on your purchase  :)

I do highly recommend the Balanced Power Test (described in my previous post) as a means of comparing the power between spas in an apples-to-apples manner. I am very confident this test, combined with your preferences for jet diameter, number, and design, can really help shoppers make a more informed decision.

Although this test was very important to my own decision, I know the results are a lower priority in the final decision for many people.
  • Some have commmented that they prefer a more relaxed, milder massage experience
  • Others rarely use more then 1-3 seats at any time and have no issue with using the diverter valves more

Here's the reasons the balanced power test was critical to my decision:
  • I have back troubles and really value a stronger theraputic massage experience. Even if I'm only using one seat I have a firm opinion that that a spa with better balanced power will feel all the more intense when the diverter valves are used.

Note: One exception to this is the Marquis Epic. It has an unusual diverter valve system called trizone that directs power to one of three groups of jets for each of the two valves. However, it cannot support a balanced power test (i.e., you cannot effectively activate all the jets simultaeously). Regardless, when using it's diverter valves the spa definitely provides a strong massage.

Disclaimer: I included this note to be fair to Marquis since the Epic's valve system is quite different from other spas on the market. I highly recommend you understand the Trizone system and it's limitations before putting your money down. If you still like what you see then I certainly would recommend a wet test. If you are considering one you'll be in the company of many satisfied customers.

For a more detailed description see the Marquis section of my wet test report: http://www.members.cox.net/duffman471/Spa_Wet_Testing_Analysis.htm

• Since I decided to get a large spa that can comfortably seat 7 people, I darn well wanted all my guests to be able to enjoy the jets in their seats. Lots of spas out there make it necessary to turn down jets to one part of the spa in order to enjoy another. I say why compromise if you don't have to?  ;D

• When I get in my hot tub I want turn on the pumps, relax, and enjoy the back and foot jets from any seat; without ever having to move or adjust to change settings. Like the Ronco Rotisserie slogan, I just "set it and forget it." This was a huge reason the balanced power test was important to my decision.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 10:08:14 pm by Duffman »

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2006, 10:32:32 pm »
Duffman,

I enjoyed your reviews in the past and like your testing system.  One of the reasons I bought my tub was that it had great power in all the seats with all the jets on.  It only loses power when the foot jets are on at the same time.  As you say it buying a tub depends on a lot of factors.  One of my main factors was that the wife really like the look of the Beachcomber and that is hard to argue with.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 10:33:13 pm by marks »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 09:12:39 am »
I do not know about Master spas but the HP numbers on the Beachcomber are continious HP.  Not Break HP like Bob declared.

Wrong. Plain and simple. Sorry.

Waterway, the maker of the pumps on Beachcomber and many spas (including the ones I sell) does not offer true horsepower ratings. The sell bHP motors from 1-5.

I too beleived this when I sold their product. I later learned that I was mislead (by factory representatives no less). Do not begrudge your dealer, they just trusted the manufacturer.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:15:26 am by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 11:15:42 am »
Marks, just as example your pump reads :

Volts 230
Amps 4/12

Am I correct? By the way, remove that little sticker ( i think its blue) on the motor and you will see the hp # doesn't match.

Using this online calculator:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/motor_horsepower.htm

Even assuming 100% efficiency (which is not possible if the motor gets warm while it is operating) the maximum hp of that motor is 3.7.

A more realistic efficiency yields a hp rating of 2.96 or lower.
Homeworks Financing Representative

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 01:29:17 pm »
HotTubMan,

I will check this out when I get home, but I am pretty sure it says 240v.  I never discussed HP with the dealer and it did not factor into my purchase decision.  On the ohter hand this is an interesting topic.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 01:53:48 pm by marks »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 01:29:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42