What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water sealing new deck  (Read 12094 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Water sealing new deck
« on: March 20, 2006, 06:04:29 pm »
We used PT lumber to make the tub deck, and I'd like to seal it before the tub comes (HOPEFULLY in 2-3 weeks). Does this type of wood have to "age" before being sealed? Some of it's pretty wet..from being frozen and thawed or treated, not sure which...I suppose I'll have to skip that step...?
(this is the babbling my husband is slowly going nuts from, FYI.)
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

Water sealing new deck
« on: March 20, 2006, 06:04:29 pm »

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
Re: Water sealing new deck
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 06:33:13 pm »
I think it does need to dry.  Also, the wood needs to age.  Any idea how long ago they pressure treated the wood.

Thompson's website:

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/products/list.asp?show=home.products.wtrPrf.total

Allow 30 days before applying on new pressure treated lumber.

If surface is damp or wet from cleaning or weather, allow the surface to dry thoroughly (a minimum of 48 hours) before application.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 06:36:35 pm by TN__HOT_TUB »
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

bwbski22

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 06:51:41 pm »
thompsons is by no means the best.  it is the most reconized name in there industry.  you want to use penofin.  it is much better product.  if you planed on treating the wood you should have treated all the side of the decking before you built the deck.  that way every side of the wood is protected.  

PaulMc

• 2005 Sundance Majesta and lovin' it.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 07:14:32 pm »
  I let the wood age for a year.  I agree Thompson's is probably the number one seller but as we all know that doesn't make it the best....

If you know who did the treatment you could see if they make a sealer. For example, the pressure treated wood I've used was treated by Wolman up near Bancroft. They sell a tretament as well as an end cut preservative. Make sure you use the end cut preservative for the ends. I also mix some of the end cut (very green and slightly heavier) with the standard preservative to give it a little more colour.

I've cleaned and reapplied preservative ever since I built my roofed in deck 14 years ago (after waiting the first year) and it looks as good as new, although just slightly darker than originally. Fences get a quick coat every year as well but you might want to do that with your neighbour as some will inevitably go over to other side. A good substitute preservative up here is Cetol.   paul
Owner, Sundance Majesta , July '05, Ontario Canada

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:26:20 pm »
I know Thompson's is the best known around these parts, and I HAVE heard that there are better, lesser known products out there....is there something I can put on the deck that's quick to dry and not going to hurt my dogs? If I can ONLY treat the tub deck, that's fine....but they've got pretty free access to the back yard, and currently there's no fencing on 3 sides (yes, there COULD be, in a pinch)....is there something that's less toxic than Thompson's, maybe?
RIP C-Rod

anne

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 08:43:15 pm »
None of these products are going to be appropriate for doggie consumption or eager sniffing, but I would think that all of them would be ok once dried/cured, as long as you dont have a dog chewing on your deck.  ::) I have never seen or heard of any dogs having toxicity issues with stuff like this, but I guess you could be the first! (I'm a veterinarian) Some dogs do eat the darndest things. If anyone tells you that something they are selling is going to protect your wood, but is non toxic, frankly, I would not believe them.
Dance like nobody's watching

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 05:53:28 am »
The longer you let it age the better it will take stain and look in the end. Besides who likes the look of green treated wood. When it turns gray then treat it. It will take more stain (maybe 2 coats) but once it is done it will last longer and look better. One or Two years. Then just use colored stain. There are many good brands out there that color and protect.

This is how I take care of my decks...and you all know I have alot of them. 1800 SF house 2000 SF decking...LOL
Retired

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 08:26:41 am »
The longer you let it age the better it will take stain and look in the end. Besides who likes the look of green treated wood. When it turns gray then treat it. It will take more stain (maybe 2 coats) but once it is done it will last longer and look better. One or Two years. Then just use colored stain. There are many good brands out there that color and protect.

This is how I take care of my decks...and you all know I have alot of them. 1800 SF house 2000 SF decking...LOL

Holy sheepdip, Tman! twice the house as us and 4 times the deck! I agree though...I'd rather NOT have green decking for the duration.....it's annoying enough to have green EVERYTHING on my birthday....Thanks for the knowledge, though....I thought I'd have to wait, even though I'd HOPED to be able to sneak in and do this before the tub gets here.
Thank you anne, Paul, bwb, TN.....guess I'll just do what I figured I'd have to do in the first place.....wash the main deck, then hold out for a couple years and stain/protect both at the same time.
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 08:49:26 am »
This was just discussed in my Handyman club magazine.
Waiting a long time for PT lumber to dry is a myth.  Here's what they had to say:

Myth: Pressure-treated deck lumber needs to dry for two to three years before it can be stained; applying stain sooner will prevent the wood from weathering properly.

Fact: Pressure-treated lumber is often slightly damp when it arrives from the lumberyard, but if you wait a year before staining, the wood will suffer damage from the elements. Richard Kleiner from SFPA recommends a four- to eight-week drying time. "What you're after is a surface-moisture content that's less than 20 percent," he says. "Twelve percent is ideal, but anything less than 20 is acceptable."
Two exceptions to this rule of thumb exist. First, lumber that is kiln-dried after treatment (KDAT) can be stained immediately. Second, any lumber that comes treated with water repellent from the manufacturer should be left unfinished for two to three months before you apply stain.

Good Luck :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 08:57:08 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 08:49:33 am »
For pt lumber, I'd wait at least a year before doing anything.  Most of that stuff comes out of the lumber yard pretty wet, and you'd just be wasting money if you did it too soon.
Thompson's water seal products are probably the last thing I'd use.  Ask a real paint store for recommendations.  It won't cost all that much more money, and you'll get a better result.
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 09:13:35 am »
ok, looks pretty obvious that the tub'll be in place prior to stain/protect.....should we even BOTHER to do the tub deck? There should only be a few inches around the base in any direction exposed (7'7" x 8'4" tub, 8' x 9' deck)......
Otherwise, it sounds like when weather permits, we can wash and stain the main deck...I'm good with that.

Thanks for even MORE info!
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 09:18:13 am »
ok, looks pretty obvious that the tub'll be in place prior to stain/protect.....should we even BOTHER to do the tub deck? There should only be a few inches around the base in any direction exposed (7'7" x 8'4" tub, 8' x 9' deck)......
Otherwise, it sounds like when weather permits, we can wash and stain the main deck...I'm good with that.

Thanks for even MORE info!

Tattoo, did you check if the wood is KDAT?  If so,  stain it now!    :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 09:19:33 am »
KDAT? Killer Dinghy Attack Tub? Wassat?  ???
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 09:20:35 am »
KDAT? Killer Dinghy Attack Tub? Wassat?  ???

argh. Please read my orignal post.   ::)
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 09:28:04 am »
*LMFAO* sorry......I READ the post, honest...just didn't register the abbreviation......somehow, I doubt that Menard's stuff is kiln dried after treatment......I'm thinking it's just treated and POOF.......laid out to soak up the water, freeze, thaw, etc.....the stuff IS pretty heavy and wet.
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 09:28:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42