What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: hot tub for the cabin  (Read 6186 times)

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
hot tub for the cabin
« on: March 17, 2006, 05:06:53 pm »
Hypothetical situation...sorta

Let's say I've got a friend that is looking to buy an inexpensive hot tub (not a spa).  The hot tub is going in their weekend cabin.

They predominately use the cabin in the summer and/or on weekends.  When they do visit the cabin, it is quite the gathering place/fun-time atmosphere.  Nothing crazy, but definitely not the "retreat" or relaxing "cottage in the woods" type of a place.  

It seems most of you folks buy the high end spas for personal use only at your home and therefore go with a high end luxury tub.  That isn't what these guys are looking for.

They are considering adding a hot tub...not a spa. They are on a budget (isn't everyone?).  They are looking for a large hot tub without all the therpeutic jets and such.  Any of you have any ideas?
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

hot tub for the cabin
« on: March 17, 2006, 05:06:53 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: hot tub for the cabin
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 05:35:11 pm »
Big ole round gas fired wooden tub.
Retired

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 05:39:03 pm »
Big ole round gas fired wooden tub.

Perfect

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 07:05:26 pm »
My HS dealer has some older tubs that have been refurbished....they don't have the crazy number of jets, some are very simple, but I'd bet that most of them would be relatively inexpensive.....and solid.
I'd think that other dealers may have something similar going....the "used/budget" lineup, as it were.
RIP C-Rod

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 07:10:49 pm »
Somewhere on this forum is a picture of a 'Rednek' Hot tub ( not a spa).......... THAT, is what your Hypothetical friend is looking for!!

Viper_Dude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 07:28:52 pm »
Somewhere on this forum is a picture of a 'Rednek' Hot tub ( not a spa).......... THAT, is what your Hypothetical friend is looking for!!

Would this be what you're looking for?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 07:47:00 pm »
Tatooed Lady has a good point.  Go check with the local HotSpring dealer and see if they have any 10-15 year old spas available.  They could get one for $2-3K and it would probably do everything they need it to.  They are built like a tank, filter 100% of the water, and most of them have MotoMassages, plus you can still get any part for them if they need it.  As old as they are, they're still more advanced than most spas on the market today.

The wooden spa idea is great, too.

Terminator
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 07:47:24 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 08:13:37 pm »
First, I agree that a used HotSpring might be a great way to go. I am going to do that for my own cabin once we get the thing built. May even do it before we get the place built to encourage the contractor a bit.

I know a guy who sells wooden hot tubs - actually, two. One is me, and the other is Andy from Robert's Hot Tubs.

I would say that they are more set up to do shipping and the like, so you may want to check them out. They have all sorts of equipment kits and so forth.

I have met both Andy and Robert, and they are good people. Ask them about the cold envrionment - most large wooden tubs do well in situations where the tub is outside and the plumbing and equipment is inside. Could be under the cabin, in the garage, or what-have-you. But the huge volume that most of the bigger tubs hold gives them great staying power before freezing. Most are set up with freeze-protection which can turn on pumps or heat in your absence if needed.

Since your bud doesn't seem to want a fancy schmancy setup, two pipes between the tub and the equipment should be easy to keep from freezing. One for a return fitting, and the other for a suction fitting or two.

Did you say this was going in a cold climate or did I just assume?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 08:16:21 pm »
Thank you Tattoo_Lady.

I think I understand. I'm a new guy, but here is a new guys opinion about what I'm observing (from this string and others that I've been reading)

I hope some of these comments you guys made (and other comments that I've been reading) were an attempt to be funny.  "If" you folks are serious, then my opinion is that you guys are snobs.  The Spa-Nazis.  Mantra being:  Hot tubs must cost $8,000 or they're crap.

Everyone must purchae their hot tub from a local dealer, because hiring a local dealer to fix a tub that was not bought in their shop is considered "busch-league." If you call a hot tub dealer to fix your tub, but didn't buy the tub from them, then you can expect inferior service.  Dealers discriminate....didn't you know?  Dealers sell hot tubs, but don't particularly like fixing them.

"Better" is not a subjective term.  "Better" just means "best available."  If you can't afford (or choose not) to pay for the top-of-the-line model...then you shouldn't even buy a hot tub...and don't call me when you're tub breaks because I'll only tell you "i told you so."  I don't guarantee the $8,000 tub to not break, I'm only guaranteeing that I'll fix it when it does.

What's the challenge in advising everybody to buy the top of the line?  "Hey, trust me....you'll get a nicer tub if you buy a top of the line tub"  Wow, thanks for that revelation....glad I asked you.

I really hope that you guys were only joking.  Maybe there is a contention of silent observers out there that don't agree with the majority of "snob-like" comments being made.  I really do hope you guys are sorta joking.

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 08:22:41 pm »
Whatever you do, steer them away from the internet, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Costco, etc.  They'll want the tub to work, not have to work on it, when they're at the cabin.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 08:32:41 pm »
sidenote: the used tubs at my HS dealer aren't all HS tubs......I think "Esther Williams" was the name on one of the real ancient ones.....
Secondly, I don't recall anyone saying "spend $8k or get crap"... If you want crap, it's readily available to you, mostly in the form of substandard plumbing, wiring, etc....and not having a chance at getting support through the dealer or manufacturer, regardless of how much time is left on the warranty. If it's under warranty, and you're left hanging.....are you ok with that? I wouldn't be.
I've seen a lot of people say "if you can afford to spend some extra up front, you'll be happier in the long run" or something to that effect.....and mainly that holds true across the board....not ALWAYS, but that's why we ask all the questions around here of those that are in the know.
Some dealers will fix whatever you've got......some, however, refuse to work on anything but their own, for whatever reasoning.....some tubs are just a real b*tch to get fixed, no matter WHO you go to.
If you don't like the way people on this forum discuss, joke, etc....you can always go out on your own, hit a Home Cheapo for a tub, and hope that you have enough buddies to haul it to wherever it goes after the "curbside delivery"....and hope you know someone that's handy enough to repair whatever goes wrong (eventually something will)...But personally, even if a few members rub me the wrong way, I feel that I've asked enough questions and got enough answers to be armed with enough information to make me feel like something less than a complete ass when going into the stores.......It's a weird place, but full of good people.
Best of luck.
RIP C-Rod

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 08:36:29 pm »
First, I agree that a used HotSpring might be a great way to go. I am going to do that for my own cabin once we get the thing built. May even do it before we get the place built to encourage the contractor a bit.

I know a guy who sells wooden hot tubs - actually, two. One is me, and the other is Andy from Robert's Hot Tubs.

I would say that they are more set up to do shipping and the like, so you may want to check them out. They have all sorts of equipment kits and so forth.

I have met both Andy and Robert, and they are good people. Ask them about the cold envrionment - most large wooden tubs do well in situations where the tub is outside and the plumbing and equipment is inside. Could be under the cabin, in the garage, or what-have-you. But the huge volume that most of the bigger tubs hold gives them great staying power before freezing. Most are set up with freeze-protection which can turn on pumps or heat in your absence if needed.

Since your bud doesn't seem to want a fancy schmancy setup, two pipes between the tub and the equipment should be easy to keep from freezing. One for a return fitting, and the other for a suction fitting or two.

Did you say this was going in a cold climate or did I just assume?

It will not be in what most would consider to be a cold climate (Tennessee).  They cabin is used sparingly in the winter time.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 09:58:10 pm »

It will not be in what most would consider to be a cold climate (Tennessee).  They cabin is used sparingly in the winter time.

Then freezing shouldn't be a big concern.

They can guide you over at www.rhtubs.com about the different woods available and the different equipment, but I have a hunch they may end up suggesting you get the tub from them and the equipment closer to home to save on shipping.

There are oval tubs in different depths, and you might want to check out the conical shaped ones. You get the same seating area with less water volume and the sloped sides make them more comfortable - I realize that is subjective.

But if you go with a large tub, you may want to get a large heater. Keep in mind that a large heater will cost you more up front, but actully will save money down the road because you run the pump a shorter time to get the tub up to temp. And you will use a tub more if it is easier/faster to get in it!

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 06:15:36 am »
Yes I sugjested a large round wooden gas fired tub because if you get to the cabin on friday early evening and fill the tub if you stay up late you may be able to use it. Fast heating. This way if your gone from the cabin for 3 months you will not have to worry about coming back to dank water, because you will have drained it.
Retired

Phil

• Icefish daily, Hot Tub afterwards!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 07:32:22 am »
Go to Pool and Spa Depot in Nashville and look at a brand new Nordic.

Get a 40" deep one, perfect cabin tub! 7' Round, quality components, great company that builds em!

The first weekend in April is their "Battle of the Brands" promotion, do your research on the net then go in there prepared to get a "deal".

« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 07:33:54 am by Phil »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 07:32:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42