What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: About to buy an ozonator...  (Read 4785 times)

Imatubber

About to buy an ozonator...
« on: March 12, 2006, 01:15:38 pm »
...Can anybody truely say they can tell the difference with one in use as opposed to not having one ?

Hot Tub Forum

About to buy an ozonator...
« on: March 12, 2006, 01:15:38 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: About to buy an ozonator...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 01:18:24 pm »
All you will get is opinions. There is no data to quantify the benefits of ozone in a spas.

I think they work well.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Imatubber

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 02:00:50 pm »
All you will get is opinions. There is no data to quantify the benefits of ozone in a spas.

I think they work well.

Opinions work.   ;)

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 02:05:33 pm »

I think they work well.

I'm not sure.

J._McD

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 02:42:00 pm »
Let me put it this way:

If you have a Hot Tub with an ozonator that is installed properly, and after 4 to 5 years later it expires, which it will do, you will see an immediate change in water conditions with in 24 hours.

If you never have an ozonator, you will chemicall treat your water on a daily basis and never know the advantage of having an ozonator.

Personally, I would not deliver a spa without an ozonator, so that make me a very strong proponent of ozone.

Those that do not have an ozonator, do not understand their applications, or do not recommend them are not the ones that can answer your question.

Others have posted on this board about their personal experiences with ozone, and there are a multiple of threads that discuss, debate, refute and endorse the use of ozone.  

I would recommend an ozonator, Corona Discharge or Ultra Violet, they both produce the same chemical symbol of O3

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 02:46:03 pm »
I have had customers come in a complain that they were struggling with the water all of the sudden, and upon inspection we found the ozone was not producting for one reason or another.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 02:54:56 pm »
After almost four years of owning a spa with ozone and having had issues with ozonator check valves for about half that time, l can share my experience with ozone/no ozone.  Background information...my ozone check valve would fail about every three months at which time I would be without ozone until a new check valve arrived.  In the beginning, it took a little while to realize I had a problem and to figure out what the issue was.

I found that without ozone, my water would not last as long and not be as sharp.  I can't say that I increased my chlorine levels, but the water management was subtley more difficult.  Does it do something....IMO, yes;  do you need it....no;  is it worth it...only you can decide.

For what its worth, I think I've got my ozone check valve problem licked. ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 10:51:22 pm »
...Can anybody truely say they can tell the difference with one in use as opposed to not having one ?

I've gone out so many times for people with a water quality problem and found an issue with teh ozone not working (disconnected, bad check valve, etc.) that I am TOTALLY convined that a good cd ozonator makes a difference. It amazes me that I rarely find this on a spa with a good ozonator. That's my story and i'm sticking to it!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 10:55:52 am »
I have had two hot tubs.

One with anOzinator  and one without.

I  belive the water quality in the OZ tub is far superior.

It's a CD ozinator running 24/7 with the circ pump.

In my opinon: they work, and they work well.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 11:26:04 am »
How does a person know FOR SURE the ozone is working. I have notice in the last 2 weeks that my water doesn't look as good as usual (not bad just not crystal clear). It's 3 1/2 mo old and due for a change but this post made me wonder about the ozone working or not

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 11:32:56 am »
I'm sure these guys can help.  If a Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer can't detect it, we're all in trouble.

http://www.hamiltonsundstrand.com/hsc/details/0,4482,CLI1_DIV25_ETI5522,00.html#47565h

;D
If I could just chew through these restraints...

J._McD

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 12:21:44 pm »
I would suppose one of those would answer the questions to all of our debates.  I wonder why someone has't popped for one yet?  The white suits are neat.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 09:17:49 pm »
How does a person know FOR SURE the ozone is working

With my tub there is a VERY distinct smell that is apparent whenever I open the cover, and also when the ozone turns back on once the jets have been off for 5 minutes.  It is unmistakable.

IDW

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 12:22:05 am »
Ozone is an oxidizer not a sanitizer. Bromine ,Chlorine are sanitizers and oxidizers, but they are not that great at oxidizing. Sanitizing is for bacteria and oxidizing is"shocking". You do not really need an ozonator because you can shock with a sanitizer or a non chlorine shock. A ozonator will reduce the amount of sanitizer you need because a lot of what you add is used up oxidizing not sanitizing. Ozonators are more of an automatic thing and anything you add to your spa to help keep it clean is a good idea.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 12:34:40 am by IDW »

J._McD

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 09:30:45 am »
Ozone is an oxidizer not a sanitizer. Bromine ,Chlorine are sanitizers and oxidizers, but they are not that great at oxidizing. Sanitizing is for bacteria and oxidizing is"shocking". You do not really need an ozonator because you can shock with a sanitizer or a non chlorine shock. A ozonator will reduce the amount of sanitizer you need because a lot of what you add is used up oxidizing not sanitizing. Ozonators are more of an automatic thing and anything you add to your spa to help keep it clean is a good idea.

Ozone IS in fact both a Sanitizer and an Oxidizer.  A molecule of O3 is not able to dicriminate between nutrient or mineral molecules, nor does it discriminate between bacteria or virus molecules, taking a like atom from ANY molecule rendering it dead matter,  thus it both Oxidizes and Sanitizes.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 09:30:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42