What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: permits and laws  (Read 5214 times)

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
permits and laws
« on: March 05, 2006, 09:22:38 pm »
Our township in MI doesn't require a permit for a spa. I did get a permit for the electical service upgrade that I needed.  Our electrician noted that the proposed placement of the spa would be too close to my overhead power drop (less than 10 foot lateral). I  thought it was for pools and not spas. The code at our library covers this, I found.   I either have to get my service drop moved (have a call in to the power co.) or pick a new spot for the spa. Anybody else have trouble with this?

A second spot to locate the spa is only 3 feey from my house. What I cannot find is any info in the law about proximity to other structures. Anybody have any experience with this?
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Hot Tub Forum

permits and laws
« on: March 05, 2006, 09:22:38 pm »

J._McD

Re: permits and laws
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 10:08:03 pm »
Common sense dictates the law, it the overhead wire breaks it will fall accorss the water object.  That could spell DOOM for someone, thus the reason for the law.

Simply move the wire or the spa.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 10:25:17 pm »
I've worked with government and even they will admit common sense sometimes has nothing to do with the law.

The spa dealer is also a pool dealer and he always thought that the the long aluminum skimmer poles had more to do with the law being enacted.  That's why he also didn't believe that the law pertained to spas.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 10:27:45 pm »
Most of the laws and requirements have to do with safety, and recognize the simple fact that if the inspector signs off on a spa which is three feet from the fence while he's there, it might very well move the next day.

They are "portable" after all.

But I would certainly consider moving the power drop. Any thought of going underground with the power? I have lots of customers who did this - and years later the whole neighborhood made the same change. But they had spent far less by doing it at the same time as other construction or a main panel upgrade.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 10:39:52 pm »
I called the power company engineer I worked with on the service upgrade and left a message. I'm hoping the move or change to undergound will not cost too much.  But plan B is to install the spa in a different part of the yard.  My first choice for placement and my wifes second choice.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 10:40:50 pm by GoBlue »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 04:25:13 am »
Moving the spa will be alot less money. There is no reason your spa can't be next to your house. As long as it meets the electrical requirments. Don't forget to consider things like eaves and overhangs, where the rain runoff from your roof will fall.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 04:28:08 am by Tman122 »
Retired

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 06:58:53 am »
My spa is two feet from one wall of the house and four feet from another.  It fits into an L shaped area with a deck around it.  One of the best decisions I made was to place it close to the house one of which is it screens the wind.

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:15:42 pm »
Local code here in Sunnyvale CA requires:

12' from power lines
3' from windows
Any metal within 5' must be bonded to the tub ground

And of course the GFCI at least 5' from the tub

Steve

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 09:25:26 pm »
Still waiting for the power company to call.  Would like to know how many $$$ to move power drop.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 10:09:01 pm »
Every township is different. My township has placement requirements for pools and not for spas. When I went for the permits (I need one for everything in my township) the engineer started quoting distances away from the house ... luckily the boss was there and said - it's a hot tub NOT a pool.

I would call the township.

As far as moving the service - move the tub!

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 11:37:44 am »
The engineer from the power company is coming out today.  I can move the tub, but the first choice will make mama happy. And as we all know:  Mama's happy...everybody's happy.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 04:21:53 pm »
Going to change power to underground and put the spa where my wife would like it.  Spa is supposed to be here Thursday....

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 04:56:38 pm »
Hi GoBlue:

Just a thought, if you are doing electrical work as part of installing the spa and you DON'T have 200 AMP service currently, you might consider upgrading the panel to 200 AMPS. Some power companies will provide FREE underground installation if you upgrade from lower amperage service.  In this fashion, you could run the spa circuit directly to your panel, install the GFI in the panel and eliminate a sub panel if that was in your plans.  You still need an outside cut-off near the tub, but upgrading might turn out better for you...

Good Luck!

Drewski  
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 05:55:04 pm »
Thanks, Drewski.  I upgraded the panel to 200A already. My drop was big enough to handle the extra load, so no discount.  I got a price of $500 for installing the underground power.  I'm going with it.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 10:38:02 am »
Yep, $500 is worth it.  I was VERY happy with the underground lead in my first house when I had it installed. Made everything cleaner and I never had to worry about 440 just over my head while standing on the deck.  I also didn't lose my mast head like my neighbor did during Hurricane Isabel when a tree fell on his line and completely ripped it away from his house...

Drewski  
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 10:38:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42