What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Noob, needs help  (Read 5356 times)

Chris_M

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Noob, needs help
« on: March 04, 2006, 09:06:04 pm »
Thinking of upgrading to a new Hot Tub, mine is old, not well insulated, came with the house 5 yrs ago.
I've been looking at the Jacuzzi or Sundance, Cayman model, and the Hot Springs Vanguard. Both 05 models, marked down, but still $2k difference. Either would be a huge improvement over what I have (but still works).
Should I just insulate the old unit better, or break down and upgrade?

Thanks for your help ???
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 09:08:33 pm by Chris_M »

Hot Tub Forum

Noob, needs help
« on: March 04, 2006, 09:06:04 pm »

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
Re: Noob, needs help
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 09:13:00 pm »
UPGRADE!!!!  I had an older tub and the heater went out on it - considered having it repaired (again!) - then went into a couple new spa showrooms, started reading forums like this... and then... I bought a Marquis Quest spa - and I am VERY glad I did.

Like anything - the technology keeps evolving - what was a good spa 8-10 years ago is a dinosaur today.  By the same token - what is the "best" today will be surpassed eventually.  When you shop you have to balance what you are willing to spend / can spend against what you really really want / need from a spa.  In the long run - you won't regret upgrading.  You will USE a new spa far more than the older / outdated model.  That in itself makes it worthwhile.  

I was impressed by all the "bells and whistles" available on todays luxury class spas - but I had a space issue that limited my selections - and in the long run I am glad that it did.  I got a spa that fits my needs, makes me very happy and didn't break the bank in the process.

Happy hunting!  And be sure to wet test - you will be glad you did!

Chris_M

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 11:04:50 pm »
Thanks, I am really looking forward(hopefully) to a new spa. Which do you think is a better buy? Sundance for $5600 or Hot Springs for $7200
Is the Hot Springs That much better?

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 11:41:56 pm »
go to the spa stores and sit in each of them....even without water, you may find out if one's got seating that's uncomfortable for you...some seats are confining, too shallow, too deep....and be sure that the footwell is roomy enough for however many people you plan to have in the tub....
You may find on your own that the price isn't the deciding factor, but the comfort level for your posterior.
Best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 12:07:18 am »
You are asking a question that is impossible to answer.  Price is really just one area of your decision here.  I would agree that you should get in and try them for fit.  You are looking at two very popular and well built tubs.  I cant remember, but is the caymen the same as the optima but with a lounger???  

compare your options and needs and you will be able to answer that question.  I dont think that you would go wrong with either one.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 08:59:09 am by bosco0633 »

anne

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 12:39:15 am »
I'd really recommend sitting in both with water. For one thing, the HS "moto massage" is very unique, and feels very different than any jets I have ever felt. I'm not personally a fan of it, but there are those who LOVE it.
Dance like nobody's watching

ramdom

• Hydropool 625er.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 03:02:58 am »
I'd buy the bottom coppery one. Nice sheet!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 08:47:03 am »
You are asking a question that is impossible to answer.  Price is really just one area of your decision here.  I would agree that you should get in and try them for fit.  You are looking at two very popular and well built tubs.  I cant remember, but is the caymen the same as the optima but with a lounger???  

compare your options and needs and you will be able to answer that question.  I dont think that you would go wrong with either one.

That looks like a Cameo.  The Cayman is in the 700 series, thus the price differential.  It is their value series and would be priced more like Tiger River.  If the Cayman is what you are looking for, then it is worth saving the bucks.  If you like all the bells and whistles, you have to look at the 800 series which will be closer to the Vangard.  The only way to know is to try them all.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 08:57:53 am »
your right tony, sorry I copied the wrong link.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 08:59:37 am »
I edited my post

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 09:02:27 am »
I edited my post

That looks more like it.  Now you can see the price difference. ;)

Chris_H

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 12:58:19 pm »
The more direct comparison between the Hotspring Vanguard is the Sundance Majesta.  Both should be priced around $8,000 - $8,500.

The more direct comparison of the Sundance Caymen is the Tiger River Bengal.  Both should be priced under $6,000.

On a side note, change your name.  There is only one Chris allowed on this forum.

Mr_Burns

• Nuclear Power is Safe, Clean and Reliable.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 09:30:33 am »
go to the spa stores and sit in each of them....even without water, you may find out if one's got seating that's uncomfortable for you...some seats are confining, too shallow, too deep....and be sure that the footwell is roomy enough for however many people you plan to have in the tub....
You may find on your own that the price isn't the deciding factor, but the comfort level for your posterior.
Best of luck!

No. No. No.  

I have to disagree with this.   Ms Tattooed Lady,  with all due respect, you've been promoting dry testing over the past few days and I feel you are misleading other shoppers.  

Dry sitting might, and I underscore might give one an idea of how deep the tub is, and it's overall size, but only an idea.    

Buoyancies make the experience completely, 100%, totally different.   Once the jets are on, forget it. It is a completely different tub.  

I know you are trying to help, but I implore you, please stop encouraging others to dry test and giving them the impression this is a valid method of understanding how the tub will actually feel.  It is not. This is poor advice.  You are giving advice to others under the guise of knowledge. Please,  at  the very least, please wait until you have at least sat in your tub full of water and experienced before pontificating to others about wet and dry testing.

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 10:33:57 am »
Mr Burns.........I was thinking the same thing  and agree with you 100%        And was glad you said it before I did.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 03:23:06 pm »
Mr Burns, you've really had it in for me since I mentioned that the Great Lakes dealer up the road had lousy attitude toward paying customers, and vented about the issues I had there. I don't care if you throw hot water in a tub, if you have several people in the tub with long legs, you'd better have enough room to make everyone comfortable. Same as the width of the seats...if they're meant for small bodies, then I doubt that some of the "larger" people around would be comfortable in them....
I've taken things that are logical to me, advice from people who know better than I,  and what I've found in the past (guess what? I've sat in tubs with water in them, just not my own, and not recently) to offer advice.
But, apparently I've managed to offend you with my offering words of encouragement to other people on the forum, so I'll just let YOU tell it "like it is", and I'll sit and watch.
Thank you, Mr Burns, for showing me the error of my ways. Be sure to let everyone know that there is NO VALUE IN DRY TESTING, because you say it is so, and that alone must make it true.
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 03:23:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42