What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Have you seen this article  (Read 7160 times)

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Re: Have you seen this article
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 07:24:13 pm »
I don't know how many hot tubs are in use but it must be several thousand.  Nor do I know how many people use those hot tubs, but it must be at least 2 or 3  times the number of tubs.  So the number of users is staggering.

Don't you think that if this article had any credibility regarding hot tubs (not whirpool tubs) that Bill O'Reilly would be bloviating about it at least once a week? And that Hilary would be trying to pass a law against hot tubs for our own good?

The name of the game is grant money and to get the big $$$, you need to be published.  So, pic a subject, any subject.  You don't necessarily have to be an expert.  Write a scare article about it with some statements that seem credible but are difficult to disprove and presto - you're published and well on your way to Uncle Sam's feeding trough of useless studies.

Okay, I will get down off my soap box now - sorry. ::)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 09:33:25 pm by Snowbird »
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 07:24:13 pm »

cappykat

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 08:00:41 pm »
Hey, I think you did a good job on that soapbox!  Yep, Bill O'Reilly bloviating--he'd be all over it!
2005 Marquis Epic

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 07:43:53 am »
This information has been known for years.  There are no great revelations in this article.  It actually promotes the purchase of a hot tub.  It is much safer to soak in your spa than it is in your jetted bathtub.

It is too bad that home resale value, in my area anyway, increases with a "jacuzzi bath" in the master or I would tear mine out and replace it with a nice non jetted bath.

A little bleach in water run through the plumbing is a good idea for jetted baths.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 08:49:51 am »
This information has been known for years.  There are no great revelations in this article.  It actually promotes the purchase of a hot tub.  It is much safer to soak in your spa than it is in your jetted bathtub.

It is too bad that home resale value, in my area anyway, increases with a "jacuzzi bath" in the master or I would tear mine out and replace it with a nice non jetted bath.

A little bleach in water run through the plumbing is a good idea for jetted baths.

True for me. I had debated getting a whirlpool style bathtub in my bathroom for awhile.    Then when some friends gave me thier old Nordic a few years ago....forget it. Whirlpool tub was out....Hot tubbing/Portable Spa  was it!

The article can relate to Hot tub owners as yes, bacteria can thrive in the plumbing of tubs that are not maintained.

It is more preveleant in bathtub units  since there is no regiment for sanitization, filtration, and water can sit stagnent in the plumbing for significant periods of time.

As these tubs get more popular, you're going to see more and more of these articles.   I think it pops up here at least 2x a year.

From what I've heard in the past few years I am glad I did not opt for one.  Cleaniliness, plumbing problems, unaccesable components. Blech.

:P
07 Caldera Geneva

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 11:17:41 am »
Vinny,

Your friendly local engineer PITA here.  If your house has aluminum wiring in it, you should hire an electrician to replace it with copper.  Really.  

Regards,

Bill

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2006, 02:43:09 pm »
Actually, I have spoken to a few electricians and they said as long as I have the copper pigtails and Cu/Al wire nuts I am OK. I have them on all the recepticals in my house.

Interesting enough electricians use aluminum wire to route the outside electrical to the box.

nm-tn

• 2004 Optima
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 03:28:22 pm »
Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that the way a whirlpool tub is made that there is no water left in the pipes after you drain it. So if there's no water left then how can this be that big of a problem? If your talking about the moisture in the pipes then should there not be a problem with the moisture around the top of a spa? The bottom of my spa cover should be black or green by now.  ???

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 03:38:56 pm »
 I'll read that article on hot tubs causing cancer referenced by Hot Tub Man, once I finish my cigar and brandy.  
We have an indoor whirlpool tub.  In the owners manual, it tells how to sanitize the thing.  
It ain't rocket science, folks.

Not that we use it much- compared to the Optima it has lousy jets, and no heater.  Pretty much takes the wind out of a 50 gallon water heater just to fill the dang thing.

But it looks really good in a for sale listing. ;)
Brewman

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 05:13:01 pm »
Actually, I have spoken to a few electricians and they said as long as I have the copper pigtails and Cu/Al wire nuts I am OK. I have them on all the recepticals in my house.

Interesting enough electricians use aluminum wire to route the outside electrical to the box.

There are two issues with aluminum wire.  First is the reaction (corrosion) caused by different types of metal.  This impedes the flow of electricity causing heat and eventually fire.

The second is that aluminum wire expands and contracts more than copper which loosens the connection.  Again this cause heat then fire.

The ends of the feed wires from the pole to your house are coated by the electrician with a substance (we used Nox-Alloy) to inhibit corrosion.  As for the expansion, those connections are designed differently than other interior connections.  We really cranked them down and never had an issue with loosening up.

If you have aluminum wire in your house or trailer, it is best to replace it.  Until then, you should check the connections periodically.  And never use those plug in connections on the back of receptacles and switches.  Always use the the screws. And if it were me, I would use the anti-corrosion stuff on all connections.  It is very cheap piece of mind.

Just my opinion, don't cha know.
;D
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2006, 05:44:55 pm »
I'll read that article on hot tubs causing cancer referenced by Hot Tub Man, once I finish my cigar and brandy.  

Brewman. I hope that you and everyone else took my comment on cancer as sarcasm....

That said, I did have a shopper yesterday evening come in for some chemicals. He wanted some pucks and some "boost" I asked him what he usually shocks with, he said he hasn't needed to shock his tub yet.

I asked him under what circumstances he feels he would "need" to shock. He felt, it was only required if the water got away from him or turned green.

He has owned the tub for 2 years.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2006, 06:14:47 pm »
Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that the way a whirlpool tub is made that there is no water left in the pipes after you drain it.

My recollection is that 1 oz. per jet is permissible by code. Even so, the remaining moisture is far more than required to grow a billion or so healthy bacteria colonies.

If your talking about the moisture in the pipes then should there not be a problem with the moisture around the top of a spa? The bottom of my spa cover should be black or green by now.  ???  

Except for the fact that the off gassing of the chemicals takes care of that..............
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ramdom

• Hydropool 625er.
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 02:23:15 am »
Funny thing is: there's probably just as much bacteria on my keyboard as I type this. After a school science test my wife recently taught in class, students found computer keyboards carried far more bacteria than toilet seats, urinals and footwear, much to their amazement and humour.

When you get hit by the bus wouldn't you rather be in a hot tub? (and go out with a splash!)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 02:23:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42