What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My TP study COMPLETED  (Read 12627 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
My TP study COMPLETED
« on: March 03, 2006, 12:26:10 pm »
Ok, At 12:00pm on todays date, I have decided to take Vinny and his scientific knowledge to task.  For once and for all, for piece of mind, I want to prove TO MYSELF that TP and FF are both of equal quality.  

So if Vinny can do this research on face value, then I can as well.  

Current temp                         tub temp 104

-5°C
A few clouds
FEELS LIKE   -11°C
WIND   N 19 km/h
GUSTS    
RELATIVE HUMIDITY   53%
DEWPOINT   -13°C
PRESSURE   102.33 kPa  
VISIBILITY   24 km
CEILING   unlimited

« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 03:27:34 pm by bosco0633 »

Hot Tub Forum

My TP study COMPLETED
« on: March 03, 2006, 12:26:10 pm »

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
Re: My TP study begins!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 12:31:39 pm »
I should think to insure complete accuracy and comparibility you should run out and purchase a FF tub to put next to the TP tub to compare side by side before starting your test!

No cost is too great for science, right?

[glb];D[/glb]

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:31:53 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 12:37:59 pm »
Bosco,

Please don't take my "study" as a slam on TP as I originally was going to buy a TP tub but ended up with a FF instead (liked the tub - nothing to do with insulation).

I truely believe that ALL well made tubs are efficient and have pros and cons. Quite honestly, your cost of $17.00 Canadian is much cheaper than my $50-60 a month US.

Vinny

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 01:04:39 pm »
no slam brother.  I just want to be able to say, that I tried the study myself and can add some of my own input rather than relying on studies made by "independent" companies.  I guess just piece of mind.  This should resolve the issue in my own mind.  In fact, my neighbour has a hydro pool and I am on my way to asking him to partake in the expierence.  It is amazing what a few beers can make good neighbours do.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 02:31:06 pm »
 It is amazing what a few beers can make good neighbours do.

Peeing in the tub DOESN'T count! ;D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 02:38:54 pm »
no slam brother.  I just want to be able to say, that I tried the study myself and can add some of my own input rather than relying on studies made by "independent" companies.  I guess just piece of mind.  This should resolve the issue in my own mind.  In fact, my neighbour has a hydro pool and I am on my way to asking him to partake in the expierence.  It is amazing what a few beers can make good neighbours do.

The real reason for my "observation" was I forgot that I turned the heater down since I had the foam and wanted to change the water ... the "scientific discovery" happened by accident! I can be such an idiot at times ... my wife will attest to that! ::)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 03:46:54 pm »
ok so I dropped the temp all the way down so the tub will not heat with the heater.  It is coming up to the 4 hour mark, I just peeked in and the tub is sitting at 104.  So we will wait and see what happens, so far so good.  

4 hours elapsed.
temp
 -4°C                                                    tub 104
A few clouds                                        
FEELS LIKE   -12°C
WIND   W 33 km/h
GUSTS    
RELATIVE HUMIDITY   58%
DEWPOINT   -11°C
PRESSURE   102.30 kPa  
VISIBILITY   24 km
CEILING   unlimited

Vinny, you said you ran the circ pump straight?  I dont have one so what about the cleaning cycles, what do you set them at.

Drewster, should I let the filter cycles go or just leave it.  Right now, I have basically prevented the heater from activiating, the only heat generating is 4 2 hour cycles a day.  No circ pump.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 04:34:57 pm »
Bosco,

This is where your tub excels at and mine sucks. The heat of the pumps is just that and since you don't have a circ pump and you do need to filter the water, I say leave it alone.

This is the true "scientific method"! I believe it's unreasonable to say that you can't run the cleaning cycles as my tub did clean itself.

I wouldn't dare trip the breaker on my trub in the winter for 40 hours but if you want to retest this in the summer ...  ;D

Vinny

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 05:06:38 pm »
You two are starting to remind me of the Guinness beer guys with your scientific prowess!!!! ;D ;D ;D

"Brilliant!!!"

Terminator
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 05:16:19 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 05:13:51 pm »
the only heat generating is 4 2 hour cycles a day.  No circ pump.

I'd guess that you'd want to reduce that to two-2 hr filter cycles/day to more closely equate to the circ pump filtering.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 06:10:05 pm »

I'd guess that you'd want to reduce that to two-2 hr filter cycles/day to more closely equate to the circ pump filtering.

My pump circulates about 11 GPM, so for 24 hours that'll be 15,840 gallons filtered. But if 2 4 hour cycles are the norm, then I would say that's what it should be.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 06:23:01 pm »

My pump circulates about 11 GPM, so for 24 hours that'll be 15,840 gallons filtered. But if 2 4 hour cycles are the norm, then I would say that's what it should be.

That's a decent GPM circ pump and I guess you're trying to simulate the heater being off so you're probably right to leave the filtering as is.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 06:38:40 pm »

That's a decent GPM circ pump and I guess you're trying to simulate the heater being off so you're probably right to leave the filtering as is.

Artesian advertises this on their website but that figure was for their 2004 circ pump. The pump that I have is a 240 Volt pump that looks like a therapy pump. My assumption which may be wrong is that since it's a bigger pump, it should have about (or more) GPM.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 11:39:20 am »
Ok 24 hours have passed.  I have the temp at the lowest setting, and I have left the cycles the way you have suggested.  It dropped down to  -9 overnight -20 with windchill.  cold cold night.  

Todays temps from the local airport
-3°C
A few clouds
FEELS LIKE   -11°C
WIND   NW 31 km/h
GUSTS    
RELATIVE HUMIDITY   63%
DEWPOINT   -9°C
PRESSURE   102.38 kPa  
VISIBILITY   24 km
CEILING   unlimited

So 24 hours passed and the tub was just checked, and I am sitting at 102 right now.  The temp has been consistantly cold for the past 24 hours.  

Recap, started yesterday at 12pm, at 104.  I have left the filtering alone and I am down 2 degrees in 24 hours.  

Opinions so far, or suggestions?????

Oh yeah, could not convince neighbour to partake.  And really, I cant trip breaker out of fear with these temps.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 12:35:49 pm »
I can't do this where I live. My tub has been known to get warmer even with the breaker for the heating system off. The circ pump, combined with good weather, tends to heat the tub up to close to 100 and hold it there. In fact, in hot weather the thing will go over 104 and I have to engage the Summer Switch to kill the circ pump during the heat of the day. This only happens if I'm not using the spa daily.

So, This is good. In fact, to make it better, I suggest that we find a cold spot in the country - perhaps near a major ski resort in Colorado or somehting - and set up a bunch of different spas.

Then run 'em for a month and check the amount of electjuicity each one takes - and then we should just shut 'em all down and see which one freezes first.

What d'ya think?

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 12:35:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42