What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Frog- King Technologies-REFILL  (Read 31656 times)

drprwnap

Spa Frog- King Technologies-REFILL
« on: February 28, 2006, 02:38:07 pm »
Ok, I'll start a NEW thread (really a continuation of the "Tablet replacment not working" thread).

Seems the good folks at King Technologies(KT) are unhappy some people are refilling their cartridges.  Ya know what?  I don't give a s**t.  >:(
If I can go and buy a pound of bromine tablets, refill a cartridge two (or more times) and have it last over a month for LESS than ONE KT cartridge that lasts 2 WEEKS, what the hell do they (KT) expect? Owning a tub is an expensive.  I knew that going in and I'm not complaining.  That doesn't mean if I find a way to save $$$ I'm going to pass it up!  I know bromine usage is related to how many people use the spa and how often.  If KT could make a cartridge that would last a month (or more) for a tub that gets used by two people once per day, I wouldn't be refilling.
So if anyone connected with KT is reading this, get your act together and figure out a way to make it more affordable.  $13.95 for something that lasts 2 weeks vs. $12.95 for the same thing that lasts 1.5 MONTHS is a no brainner in my book. If their answer is to make cartridges that can't be re-filled, I'll switch to N2 and di-chlor!
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Frog- King Technologies-REFILL
« on: February 28, 2006, 02:38:07 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: Spa Frog- King Technologies-REFILL
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 02:48:19 pm »
don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel!
Actually, I agree....convenience is nice, but you shouldn't have to pay through the nose for it. The COULD offer a cartridge that's a bit more heavy duty and REFILLABLE for, say....$25.....and I believe people would BUY it, simply to avoid all the BS they find when trying to make a disposable product last longer....but then, that's just me....I'm willing to pay a bit more for quality and convenience, but that doesn't mean that I should have to have a tub of Vaseline sitting around, awaiting the next bend over episode.....
RIP C-Rod

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 02:57:55 pm »
drprwnap and Tatooed_Lady,
You all know where I stand on this issue.
I'm in full agreement with both of you.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 03:32:15 pm »
This is interesting. I am not familliar with the spa frog system (only what I've read on the net). But in my old Bromine tub I just dispensed bromine tabs in a floating rubber ducky doo hickey.

For the inlines systems there no "generic  reusable catridge"that you can fill yourself? Or am I missing something? What's the valule that "Spa Frog" offers over my old floating rubber ducking dispensor?
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 03:57:03 pm »
Drew, I am guessing the value is to be partnered with Marquis. If Marquis is willing to incorporate them into their tubs and they simplify the sanitizing thing, then they have a guaranteed market. They probably didn't anticipate the people who want the convienence but don't want to be ripped off on the way.  I agree that since the canister is made of a material that can be refilled, then we should refill. If nothing else, but in the interest of recycling. And if the system is nothing but an expensive container (based on the costs given by the "refillers" on here), then paying for it more than once or twice stinks. The real technology is in the delivery system in the tub. I have not been able to open my canisters as they are glued together, I am guessing. I destroyed one trying to open it. Maybe King has done that to prevent refilling.  I have just found that my bromine levels fluctuate a lot and maybe it has to do with what is in that canister, granulated bromine or like Phil found, chips. ???
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 05:08:38 pm »
Drew, I don't think I really addressed your question correctly, but anyway, I guess that is why the cost is high. They are a built in thing that has no generic as of yet....and maybe never will. Think like metal coffee filters...they finally offer a spa frog bromine canister made of the same acrylic as your tub and it will last as long as your tub....mmmmmm a business prospect! ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 09:42:41 pm by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

cappykat

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 05:15:03 pm »
I said in a previous post on this subject that sooner or later the mfg of the bromine cartridge would find a way to make reusing the cartridge impossible.  It's a matter of time.

I agree with drprwnap...if I can find a way to save $$ then I'm sure going to do it.  If KT can't make it more affordable then I'll go to another sanitizing method.  It's all about supply/demand.  When the demand for the products lessens they'll come up with something better.

I'm saving all my used cartridges but I can just as well use drewstar's rubber ducky dispensor.

2005 Marquis Epic

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 05:27:52 pm »
You can always use the original style frog cartridge in your filter compartment along with a good ol bromine floater and keep the bromine level at .5 - 1 ppm.  From what I see, it works much better than the in line systems and the frog floater systems.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 05:34:25 pm »
My pool came with an inline frog system that seems to be similar to the inline spa frog system.  I had the same issues everyone is complaining about.  I ultimately had to plumb it off line to regulate the amount of water through the system to keep the chlorine levels down (trichlor for pool).  I also thought about cutting open a used frog chlorine cartridge and fill it with my own trichlor tabs, but canned the idea and just use it as a chlorinator....no frog minerals and no frog chlorine.

Snyper

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 12:37:15 am »
My question is simple.

If KT can complain to the owner/moderators of this forum, why can't they register here and stand behind their product?

HUH?

drprwnap

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 08:44:40 am »
My question is simple.

If KT can complain to the owner/moderators of this forum, why can't they register here and stand behind their product?

HUH?

GREAT question, Snyper!  It'll be interesting if we get a response.
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Snyper

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 11:18:57 am »
C'mon out and play KT, we are all ears!   ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 11:29:21 am »
A company making product designed to make the consumer's life easier and ensuring the company a profitable revenue stream is fine.  It's a great business model. However, i belive in another thread the company posted a vauge warning ment to scare the consumer from modifying the canister.

come on. It's an in-line chlorinator. Pools have had them for years and doesn't require a proprietary canister. I am surprised that other bromine manufacturers/distriburters haven't come out with thier own compatatble, refillable cartriidge.  I think it's only a matter of time when the free market and competition resolves this.  

Or just upgrade to dichlor.  ;D   No more chemical baths!

/ducks and runs.
07 Caldera Geneva

cappykat

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 12:11:46 pm »
Drewstar...what do you mean "upgrade" to dichlor?  I have a bromine tub now, so what would I have to do to go to dichlor?  Any sanitizer is going to be a "chemical bath" isn't it?
2005 Marquis Epic

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 12:28:19 pm »
Drewstar...what do you mean "upgrade" to dichlor?  I have a bromine tub now, so what would I have to do to go to dichlor?  Any sanitizer is going to be a "chemical bath" isn't it?

That's right Cappy. Upgrade.

Upgrade baby,  Upgrade to the Cadilac of sanitizers.   ;D  oh yea.  Here's the beauty (Soon to be moved to a deadhorse file near you).  No equipment change is needed.

Dichlor,  you add the right amount after you soak (based on bathers and use) and it's pretty much done.  Next time you get into the tub  The tub has been sanitized and there is no residual chlorine.  Just nice clean water.  (as opposed to sitting in a tub that has a bromine floater in it or running 24 7)/

No cartridges. No Frogs.  No messing around trying to guess the right size opening or flow rate for your dispensor.  With bromine dispensors the bromine keeps getting added to your water regardless if it's used or even needed. I personally don't see the benifit of Bromine (plus it made my skin almost fall off)   ;D  YMMV
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 12:40:02 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 12:28:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42