What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Support for concrete pad  (Read 2621 times)

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Support for concrete pad
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:01:43 am »
I have a J385 ordered and am doing the site preparation.  I'm considering doing a 4-5" cement pad.  I have seen some previous posts that suggested doing rebar and metal mesh.  However, I have also heard you can't add metal to the pad unless you add some type of ground to the metal in the pad.  Has anyone heard of this?  Is rebar and mesh necessary?

Hot Tub Forum

Support for concrete pad
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:01:43 am »

Cola

• Time for bed kids
Re: Support for concrete pad
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:11:26 am »
Your local code may require the grounding.  I understand from questioning one of our local inspectors that this is a requirement for pools that have a 120 volt pool light but not when using a low voltage LED light.  I have an excerpt from the Ontario Electrical Code.
Section 68 - Pools, Tubs, and spas
68-000 Scope
(2) A pool shall be deemed to include: (c) Spas and hot tubs
68-058 Bonding to Ground
(2) Pool reinforcing steel shall be bonded with a minimum of four connections equally spaced around the perimeter.
(7)Notwithstanding Subrule (1), the metal parts of a pool need not be bonded to ground or to each other where the electrical equipment associated with the pool is:(b) Suitably separated from the pool by a fence, wall, or other barrier.
The bottom line here is that I don't need to ground the mesh under my hot tub.  Electrical code is all about interpretation.  Ask your local inspector.

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 06:09:27 pm »
I would use 4"-5 " of  3000psi with fiber,  that should be more that enough!

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 06:13:04 pm »
I know nothing of the reason for the rebar and mesh....I know they use a LOT of it in the freeway system around here...and I know it is NOT tire-friendly (I've lost several tires on my truck due to that stuff.....grrrrr!), but there must be a reason for it....possibly because it's compatible with concrete and has a different enough makeup that the freeze/thaw won't affect it.....? the system works....."if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
RIP C-Rod

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 05:25:58 am »
Fiberglass reinforced concrete is the latest. Well actualy it has been around a while but it solves your grounding issue.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 05:25:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42