What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera colors  (Read 4808 times)

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
Caldera colors
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:43:30 am »
I think I'll take my chances with Caldera Geneva. Being a complete tubbie-newbie I'm probably happy with any spa but I've read lots of good stuff about Caldera and I can get a really good price on it. Actually they sell Cal spas as well but after reading on this site I'm staying away from them..

Now, thing is I haven't seen it yet. I'm from Sweden, and Caldera hasn't got a retailer here. However, a company is just starting up and I'll get the spa from there.
So wet test is unfortunately out of the question.

Colors.
I'm gonna go with the grey outside, but what to choose inside? The pictures on the Caldera website is really bad.
Since I donīt like dark tubs, it will be one of these three:
White pearl.
Silver pearl (Sterling?)
Opal Champagne.

Whatīs your opinion about them?
Is there any Caldera owners out there that can post a picture of their own?

Oh, one more question: Is the hydraulic lifter any good?

Thanks!

:D

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera colors
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:43:30 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Caldera colors
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:40:46 pm »
Be sure you are buying/getting an "export" model spa. If a US dealer sends you a "domestic" version, you will have to replace a lot of the equipment to get it running, unless you have 110/220 volt (with a nuetral) and it needs to be 60 cycle.

If you can get an export version for a good price, I say go for it.

And yes, the lift is a good piece of equipment.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 01:32:45 pm »
Thanks Chas.
Yes, it's a export model. Caldera keeps them in stock in Belgium, from what I've heard.

It's a petty that the lid obstructs the vision to one side when using it. And how's the wind sensitivity? I don't want to be smacked in the head with that thing when I'm trying to enjoy a windy autumn day. :)  Does it stay firmly open?

Spatech, dunno why you deleted your post but thanks, it was a good tip. ;)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 02:01:56 pm »
Spatech, dunno why you deleted your post but thanks, it was a good tip. ;)

I meant to modify it but mistakenly removed it instead.

Some lifters will have a lock to hold them up in the wind. All lifters are not created equally and you often get what you pay for. With spas that are larger you really want a sturdy lifter  such as the "hydraulic" type you mentioned IMO. Also, if the spa is square you should be able to position the cover (lid) to open any of the 4 ways but if it is rectangluar you may only have 2 options in which way the cover opens.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brookenstein

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 02:15:50 pm »
I have a Hot Spring, not a Caldera, so I'm not positive that the white pearl Caldera is identical to the HS pearl, but here is a pic of my tub in pearl to give you a better idea of what it (probably) looks like...

BTW, I love the color.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 02:18:26 pm by Brookenstein »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 02:26:43 pm »
There are two hydraulic lifters available from HotSpring - and they will fit the Caldera tubs. Caldera doesn't offer a hydraulic lift. They offer this:
The Prolift, but it's not as good as the Cover Cradle from HotSpring dealers. Your dealer should be able to get you any of these lifts, if not let me know and I'll ship one to you. Any HotSpring dealer can do that.

As far as wind - the lower the cover sits when open, the less chance of wind causing a problem. The Cover Cradle sets the cover down about as low as any of these type of lifts. The Prolift sits just slightly higher, but both are sturdy. There is another lift, called the 'Upright' and it sticks the cover way up high. It hinges like the lid on a pizza box, but it has a safety catch to hold it open until you release it.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 05:23:32 pm »
Brook-
OHHHHHHHHHHH BOY! Looking at your pics has me all wound up..... *lol* same color scheme as I picked out, looks WONDERFUL to me.....I'm "cover lifter challenged" what lift is that on yours?
RIP C-Rod

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 05:38:02 pm »
I'm challenged as well... actually I perfer to call it special.   ;D  It is whatever the 'good one' is from Hot Spring.  Cradle Cover.. Cover Cradle, something like that.   :)

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 06:50:17 pm »
Hey, the Cover Cradle seems great!
HotSpringīs got a nice video on it in action:
http://www.hotspring.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi?c=7&f=Video/clips/cover_cradle_hi.wmv

What's the cost of a ProLift?
How much more is the Cover Cradle?

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 06:54:50 pm »
After viewing the hotsprings.com website, I think I prefer the Opal Champagne color. Or not. Maybe the White Pearl after all....

Sigh. Why canīt they come in ONE color. :)

Anyone seen the Opal Champagne live? Is it a lot darker than White? Is the Opal Champagne a color you may get tired of after a while?

kellpup2112

• U win some, U lose some, but U party on 'em all!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 07:30:41 pm »
We've had our Caldera Geneva for 4 months.  It is champagne opal and we really like the color.  I don't have pictures to post, but it looks very similar to the Hotspring in the earlier post, maybe a tad darker, but not much. We too thought that the darker colors wouldn't do the colored lights justice. The lights look great in the champagne opal tub.  Whatever color you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with the Geneva.  We sure are. I thought the newness might wear off, but it has't even started to yet.  I'm in it for about an hour 6 to 7 nights a week.
Can't help you with the cover lift.  We're getting ready to put an elevated deck all the way around it and a lift wouldn't work. I put the cover on and off by myself with no problem. The wife can even handle it.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 10:41:56 am »
Sigh. Why canīt they come in ONE color. :)

Anyone seen the Opal Champagne live? Is it a lot darker than White? Is the Opal Champagne a color you may get tired of after a while?

At one time, almost every spa we sold was white Endurol.  I do miss those days. :'(

Champagne Opal is darker than the Pearl and the new Sterling Marble.  It is very contemporary and looks fantastic with the Espresso cabinet.  Bear in mind, whatever looks contemporary now may not look so 5 years from now.  My suggestion is that if you are only planning to buy 1 spa for the next 20 years (1) definitely buy a HotSpring and (2) go with a neutral color like Pearl or Sand. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 07:09:48 am »
Well, it seems as if weīre gonna go with the White Pearl after all. There are no Coastal Grey/Champagne Opal tubs in stock in Europe - and I have no intentention of waiting til April or whatever. :)

Now,
mid March the 2006 models arrive.
Rumour has it they come with chrome/stainless jet trim rings AND a new design on the diverter valves. Some owners has complained here about them being noisy so that would definitely be a plus.

Can anyone confirm that?
Or are there other model year changes?

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 07:13:53 am »
At one time, almost every spa we sold was white Endurol.  I do miss those days. :'(

Champagne Opal is darker than the Pearl and the new Sterling Marble.  It is very contemporary and looks fantastic with the Espresso cabinet.  Bear in mind, whatever looks contemporary now may not look so 5 years from now.  My suggestion is that if you are only planning to buy 1 spa for the next 20 years (1) definitely buy a HotSpring and (2) go with a neutral color like Pearl or Sand. :)

Terminator

That's good advice, Terminator. Thanks.
I wouldn't mind a HotSpring, but like I said before - they are rediculously expensive here and, well, 20 years seems like a long time.  :)

And you're right about the color. A neutral color is perhaps not so merry, but always in style.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 07:13:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42