What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS remote control  (Read 4274 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
HS remote control
« on: February 22, 2006, 03:18:07 pm »
I assume the Navigator remote is an "option" on the tubs.....anyone know approximate cost, if they'd be of any REAL value (I'm thinking control from inside the house, not inside the tub)...? Is it just an expensive "toy"?
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

HS remote control
« on: February 22, 2006, 03:18:07 pm »

friar96

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: HS remote control
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 03:25:09 pm »
Our envoy came with it already on the tub (we bought a soaker).  I can't imagine any real benefit unless you have the spaudio option which we do have.  Otherwise it is an expensive toy that doesn't provide that much.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 03:26:12 pm »
Unless you're planning on adding a SpAudio II or AutoFresh system later, there is no practical use for one.  They sell for between $400-500. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

friar96

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 04:00:01 pm »
Term

Is spaudio II the 2006 version of the system?  What changes have they made to the system?  The sound is good but the little CD changer thing makes it look kind of hokey...

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 04:01:11 pm »
I understand the SpAudio is a stereo of sorts....not really sure how it functions in real application though....? Sounds like the music is played and the shell is the speaker??
And what's the AutoFresh system?
RIP C-Rod

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 04:09:37 pm »
The SpAudio II should be ready mid-year.  It still uses the inside-the-cabinet transducers but also has a set of detachable speakers to use for ambient sound.  The cheesy little Walkman has been replaced with a Sony XM radio CD player and looks sharp.

The AutoFresh system was discussed extensively in this thread a few weeks ago and will answer your questions:
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1137703384

Terminator

friar96

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 04:15:53 pm »
One more question - will you be able to upgrade the Spaudio I?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 04:30:32 pm »
One more question - will you be able to upgrade the Spaudio I?

I'm not sure friar, to be honest.  It looked to me like you could but I didn't think to ask.  Maybe one of me maties on here might know.  I'll see what I can find out.

Terminator

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 05:53:58 pm »
Upgrade the Spaudio to Spaudio II?

The new system uses a smaller power amp- but I don't know if it is only smaller physically or if is has less power. The older unit had enough power to easily smoke the tranducers if you tried, but it took a line level input. The new unit will have a complete stereo unit from Sony as the front end (XM ready) so it only has to be a booster amp.

To answer the question: yes, you can install the new stereo - for mucho dinero - and then add on the cool external speakers. I would say keep the existing power amp so it would cost less than the whole enchilada.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

oldersparepairguy

• Take the gun, leave the cannolis
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 07:28:32 pm »
I do like the fact that the "Navigator" as HS calls their remote, is RF. This means it uses radio frequency to send commands to the spa, so in theory it should work through walls, and from inside the house like you mentioned. Many other companies use IR (infrared) remotes, much like the technology your TV remote uses. It works fine, unless somthing blocks the invisible beam of light. Ask your dealer about the effective range of the remote before you plunk down the big bucks.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 07:53:57 pm »
I do like the fact that the "Navigator" as HS calls their remote, is RF.  Ask your dealer about the effective range of the remote before you plunk down the big bucks.

I have had no trouble with the Navigator working from inside my (stucco) house. I don't have a very big house, so I can't vouch for great distances, but it works from all parts of our home with on exception: My son's room is heavily wired for AC power, data and surround sound speakers, so it will not work from that room.

Max in our case is about 150 feet with three or four walls.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 07:54:34 pm »
I'm afraid to ask....what's the SpAudio system cost? How's the quality? I plan to use a boom box or something less costly when we use the tub, but I like to know how far gone the price is out of my range.......
RIP C-Rod

oldersparepairguy

• Take the gun, leave the cannolis
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 08:16:14 pm »
Sorry I cannot help with the price, but just wanted to mention a big benefit of spadio, and some other spa audio systems, automatic volume control. You set the volume level, and when you turn on a loud pump, the system automatically raises teh volume level to compensate. This is pretty cool. Years ago when they first started putting stereos in spas, they did not have such integration, and the stereos were nothing more than marine grade stereos, and boat speakers put into spas. In those days I would have said it would be best to wire your deck, or patio with outdoor speakers, and use the home stereo. These new systems are changing my view on in spa stereo. I was at my local HS dealer and they had an Ipod plugged into the spadio! Talk about cool, hundreds of songs in the spa. I hope this helps, happy hunting.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 08:25:13 pm »
an Ipod, huh? Hmmm.....we've got those.....and I like the idea of auto volume levelling, I'd wondered about that as well....
Thanks!
RIP C-Rod

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 09:40:05 am »
I tested the range of the HotSpring Remote (it's no longer called the Navigator) at the Great Texas Balloon Race last year at the local airport.  I got about 200 yards away from the spa before it would no longer operate.

SpAudio I cost between $1500-1800.  SpAudio II should be in the same range.

Terminator

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 09:40:05 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42