What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: can anyone relate?  (Read 11402 times)

anne

can anyone relate?
« on: February 19, 2006, 02:21:23 am »
I'm not sure if this is an pre-purchase form of buyer's remorse, or self induced guilt, or an appropriate concern:

I'm starting to freak out about the idea of spending so much money on a self-indulgent luxury. And let me be clear that I'm implying NOOOOOOO form of criticism to anyone else who might have a spa, or a fancy car or a beach house for that matter-- but I'm not sure this is the right thing to do anymore. I started out (erroneously) thinking that I could fill my little dream for 3-4K, and as I learned that that was impossible, it was sort of OK since I saw the value of a quality purchase.....so I got enthusiastically into the spa search, and now here I am, thinking about spending more money on a luxury than a family of 4 in a third world country could live off for a year.

Has anyone else felt this way? Not sure if I'm going to get over it, or for that matter, if I SHOULD. I know this is an unusual post, but I imagine it is a common line of thought.

Anne
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

can anyone relate?
« on: February 19, 2006, 02:21:23 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: can anyone relate?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 05:37:23 am »
Has anyone else felt this way? Anne

Ahhhhh no.
Retired

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 07:20:46 am »
anne,

We all have our reasons for buying a tub.  The arthritis in my knees, hips and hands can be brutal.  The hot tub helps to the point that I no longer take hydrocodone or oxycodone.  It is a no-brainer for me.

But even if I didn't have arthritis, I would still buy one if I wanted it.   Like every one else here, my wife and I have worked hard all our lives.  We could have sat back done the minimum required and we probably wouldn't be able to afford a hot tub.  But we did far more than required to "get by" so we think we've earned it.

As for 3rd world countries, forget about it.  Their governments are designed to benefit those in power, not the people.  Any money you send there will just make the corrupt leaders richer (Oil For Food).

Relax, enjoy the fruits of your labor.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 08:28:34 am »
Think of it this way.  You'll be spending about as much as you would on a high end luxury vacation for a family of four, except this will last for years rather than a couple of weeks.  Now don't you deserve that?

skylark350

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:07:45 am »

Anne,

I totally understand how you feel as my wife also feels guilty.

However, we do donate to charities, and my wife and I work very hard ... stress in the office for me and she's an RN.

I know it's hard but cut yourself a break ...You deserve it.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 09:44:55 am »
Anne, I've never lived in a third world country, so I've never even considered what they can/can't do to be any bearing on my life. It's apples and hockey pucks, far as I'm concerned, don't base what YOU do on what THEY can do.
Sure, hot tubs (good ones, especially) are expensive....but can you afford one? Will you have to stop feeding yourself and your family, or live in a cardboard box for the rest of the year if you buy one? They're luxury items.....like vacations and (to me) motorcycles, and pets, and cameras, computers, etc...they're just BIG TICKET luxury items.
If it's your dream to have a hot tub, and you've worked hard to fill that dream, by all means GO FOR IT!
If you've got arthritis, aches and pains, family with such, or just want to be able to soak away the stress at the end of your busy day.....GO FOR IT!
If you didn't have to rob a relative, bank, 7-11 or get a sugar daddy just to get a hot tub......GO FOR IT! (uh....go for buying the tub, not robbing or sugardaddy..)
If you feel guilty because you'll be labeled as a "has" instead of a "has not" after purchase......so what......everyone spends their money on what THEY want...you're entitled, too.

(wow, sorry about the long-winded rant there.....)
RIP C-Rod

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:00:54 am »
anne,

If you live in a country that affords you the ablity to buy a luxury item and you can afford that item, then buy it.

I started out like you thinking for $5,000 I could get a top of the line tub but I couldn't. I also realized that I couldn't afford a top of the line tub and went into their secondary lines.

I personally believe that we should treat ourselves to some things as life is too short. If owning a tub is one of the pleasures you want, then let that be a treat.

After putting a deposit on my tub, I had buyer's remorse but it went away within a short period of time. My advice would be double check your finances, add up the total cost and if it's not taking food out of your mouth or hindering paying for housing and you can afford the monthly electric bills (doesn't go up too much, mine in the winter has gone up $60) - go for it. It is a great pleasure if you can afford it!

Good luck on your decision!

Vinny

salesdvl

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 10:51:11 am »
Vinny continues to impress with his responses/ advice.  I think he is copying off someone.   ;D   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 11:10:48 am »
If might be self righteous of me, but the way the world is today, if you were to make the sacrifice personally and help out some poor family in the third world, they will probably end up blowing up your embassy if a few years.   Use your hard earned money for you, and then give your even more valuable time in your local community.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 11:27:28 am »
Anne,
For what it's worth.....
I had struggled for 15yrs raising 4 kids, just barley making enough to pay the bills.  Going out to eat was a Major financial decision!!!!!........... Four years ago I started making some "Good money", 1st year the bills got paid off, 2nd year, the Harley came along, last year the pool and pool house......... this year ...." The Tub" ( coming soon ) I don't regret any of it, although I have agonized over all of them, thinking,studying them to death, back and forth thinking... the whole nine yards. As stated in earlier posts, this is a luxury (or medical) item. Life is short, if you got the bucks....... and you want the tub........ do  your homework,and MOST important! ** Find a dealer who you feel good about(You will know WITHOUT A DOUBT when that happens) IMO, go with a guy/girl who sells Tubs and nothing but TUBS..... no pools/no pool tables,sun rooms,tanning beds,golf clubs ect..... just Tubs!!!

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 11:53:09 am »
ive never been called a liberal nor conservative (not to my face anyways  ;D ), but IMO worrying about "feeding a family in a 3rd world country" over buying a luxury item seems a bit......(trying to find a good way of saying this without sounding too harsh)......strange to me. how many news reports are there of governments being over thrown, of civil war, of corruption? as was mentioned earlier, the people suffer due to the gov'ts greed.
going out on a limb here, but ill venture to say you have a house, a car or 2, kids??? (and if so they have a video game system), food in the fridge, and indoor plumbing. do you feel guilty about having these things as well??
personally (notice all the IMO's here???) i would rather give to the homeless here in this country, rebuild the lives destroyed by 9/11, and get the economy back on track before i try to "fix" the worlds problems.
but after watching the news, hearing and seeing all the horrors that the world has running through it......a good soak helps ease my tensions and stress.
ill get off my soap box. if anyone is/was offended, my appologies. its just my opinion.  :)

Marquis dealer

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 12:22:18 pm »
If might be self righteous of me, but the way the world is today, if you were to make the sacrifice personally and help out some poor family in the third world, they will probably end up blowing up your embassy if a few years.  

What the... :-/ ...quite the generalization there!  And I thought political statements were off limits here... Some of these responses are a bit of a surprise to me.  Anne, there is NOTHING WRONG with having concern for other fellow humans.  I think that is a good trait of a good person.  It is true, however, that you can't fix all of the world's problems yourself.  If you are so inclined and able, giving to a charity or charities of your choice is a great way to make a difference.  I give to local homeless shelters and to 3rd world relief (through a reputable agency), and although it isn't much, it helps some.  If you can afford a tub and would like one, there is also NOTHING WRONG with spending money on yourself and your family!! :)

My turn to step off the soapbox ;)

Steve  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 12:26:05 pm »
Vinny continues to impress with his responses/ advice.  I think he is copying off someone.   ;D   ;)

There's a person next to me on a Mercedes forum and said the same thing! ;) ;D

anne

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 01:49:18 pm »
"....but IMO worrying about "feeding a family in a 3rd world country" over buying a luxury item seems a bit......(trying to find a good way of saying this without sounding too harsh)......"

Go ahead and say it.....bleeding heart liberal freak!!!!!! ;)

"If you live in a country that affords you the ablity to buy a luxury item and you can afford that item, then buy it."

You are right- I am already one of the luckiest people in the world, not only living where I do, but having had the educational opportunities and strong family structure to become what I am.  Tub or no tub.  I guess it is not irresponsible, and as long as I can pay my bills, save for the future and donate some to charities, then my hard earned money is mine.

"If you didn't have to rob a relative, bank, 7-11 or get a sugar daddy just to get a hot tub......GO FOR IT! (uh....go for buying the tub, not robbing or sugardaddy..)"

No, just careful savings and a recent well-deserved raise which was my first in 4.5 years. I thought about robbing a bank, but decided it was a little risky for such a worrier like me.

"there is NOTHING WRONG with having concern for other fellow humans.  I think that is a good trait of a good person.  It is true, however, that you can't fix all of the world's problems yourself.  If you are so inclined and able, giving to a charity or charities of your choice is a great way to make a difference. "

I do donate a little money and some of my time, and I think I'll make a point of increasing both of those......as soon as I can afford to after blowing all my savings on a tub!  ;D

You guys are all SO right, and I tend to overanalize and worry about everything just a little too much. Which is why my job stresses me out, and a hot tub would certainly do me some good!!!
Dance like nobody's watching

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 02:04:18 pm »
 anne,

thank you for understanding all "IMO" lol. i wouldnt call you a bleeding heart liberal.......just a careing person. but that doesnt mean you dont deserve a nice hot soak  ;) happy tubbing.

socal
Marquis dealer

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 02:04:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42