What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: spa Frog system run away?  (Read 13028 times)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Re: spa Frog system run away?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 06:01:51 am »
The larger tablets don't fit. I use the smaller ones. They're about 1-1/4" in diameter.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 06:01:51 am »

Snyper

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 12:15:12 pm »
The larger tablets don't fit. I use the smaller ones. They're about 1-1/4" in diameter.

Phil

Thanks for the answer.

Now, how many should I put inside?

Snyper--

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 05:00:48 pm »
Now, how many should I put inside?
Snyper--

Snyper,
See my earlier posts on this thread. As many as will fit. The more tablets, the better. It saves you from having to switch out the cartridges as often.

Phil

Snyper

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 01:05:45 am »
Snyper,
See my earlier posts on this thread. As many as will fit. The more tablets, the better. It saves you from having to switch out the cartridges as often.

Phil

Thanks, I read ok, but my comprehension isn't very good :)

Also, I am looking for a good on-line spa supply store that has great prices and reasonable shipping costs....Any suggestions?

Snyper
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 02:23:24 am by Snyper »

jdheffer

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 05:01:14 pm »

Phil

Since I have only used the Frog Bromine carts I really don't know anything about bromine tablets.  Is there a difference between brands or are there different strength tablets?  Meaning is the active ingredients in my Frog Bromine cart the same as the active ingredients in all bromine tablets?

I just want to make sure the tablets I buy are comparable with what I am using now.

Thanks!!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 02:21:38 pm »
Is there a difference between brands or are there different strength tablets?  Meaning is the active ingredients in my Frog Bromine cart the same as the active ingredients in all bromine tablets?

I just want to make sure the tablets I buy are comparable with what I am using now.

Thanks!!

jdheffer,
Hmmm. To tell you the truth, I never thought to compare ingredients. In fact, I don't even know if the ingredients are listed on the cartridge (I'm responding to this from work - not home).
The last time I bought bromine tablets in bulk was from Lelie's Pool Supply and I just bought what they had. There were no choices.
Anyway, my spa is happy. My strips and Taylor test kit show it's getting bromine.

Maybe one of the dealers here know if there are different qualities of bromine tablets? ???

Update
I'm now at home and checked the cartridges. They show 96% bromine and 4% other ingredients. The type of bromine is 1-Bromo-3-Chloro-5,5-Dimethylhydantoin. (And no - it don't mean a thing to me! ;))
The tablets I bought at Leslie's Pool Supply are exactly the same.

Phil
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 09:44:43 pm by Phil_ »

jdheffer

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 12:09:29 am »
Thanks Phil!!  I'll have to start tablet shopping, I only have a couple bromine carts left.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 12:42:11 pm »
Well, hot DAMN....I was told last night that you can NOT refill the frog cartridges (I thought that was a frigging WASTE of money) so had to blow something akin to $14 at the spa store each time I needed to purchase ANOTHER cartridge (every 2-4 weeks? NO WAY)...Now, if I can get a pound and a half of bromine tablets and splunk them in the frog floater....THAT I would be interested in.....I wasn't so hot on the sales lady's idea of taking tablets and dropping them in the skimmer basket.......
Thank you all for making things clearer and make more sense than what I'm getting at the store!
RIP C-Rod

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 01:28:52 pm »
Perhaps I should keep this under wraps....But I have recently been told that prices for the bromine cartridges should be dropping to under 10.00 bucks in the next 30 days...Keep in mind dealers can sell them for what ever price they choose and current inventory will effect this as well....

Jane and Russ

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2006, 12:14:21 am »
I have another Spa Frog with bromine question. I am new to using the Spa Frog. It is built in to my new Marquis Quest. I tweaked with the water balance today, waiting the full 15 minutes between chemicals before adding the next. My dealer's water test results yesterday said I needed 1/4 cup of shock, so I added that last. Then I understand I need to keep the top off for 2 hours so the bromine level can "burn off."  Well....it was 40 degrees here today, so after adding the chemicals and the shock, my temp was down to 98 from 104. Do I really have to keep the lid off that long? I don't feel like taking 2 hours every Saturday just add shock. Am I making any sense?   ???

Snyper

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2006, 02:35:10 am »
I leave the cover off about 10 minutes after I shock.

Snyper

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2006, 02:36:54 am »
Perhaps I should keep this under wraps....But I have recently been told that prices for the bromine cartridges should be dropping to under 10.00 bucks in the next 30 days...Keep in mind dealers can sell them for what ever price they choose and current inventory will effect this as well....

I was at my dealer today and for $49.99 he had 4 bromine cartridges bundled with one mineral cartridge, so the price of something is going down.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2006, 02:25:42 pm »
That is a very good deal....It is my understanding that the price is being droped this month....which is good for all who use and also sell the system....

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2006, 02:36:32 pm »
Do I really have to keep the lid off that long? I don't feel like taking 2 hours every Saturday just add shock. Am I making any sense?   ???

smith917,
I don't blame you, 2 hours is way too long. The most I have ever read here on this site is 15 - 20 minutes. I only leave it off for 20 minutes, tops.
I would imagine 2 hours would deplete the bromine in your spa. :O

Phil

Jane and Russ

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 02:41:47 pm »
Another Spa Frog question. Maybe Phil can help me. I am trying to refill the bromine cart as Phil directed, but I am wondering if my cart looks different than his. I pried the two long pieces apart. The bromine tabs obviously go in the center piece, but I can't get it open without destroying the cart. It looks to me that the ring is fixed, and I have to pry off the flat top piece, but then I don't see how the top piece will go on again. Any suggestions?

Rosebud,
BK in another thread was asking about bromine & the inline system. To save time, I just copied my response to him in this post:
I've been using the inline bromine & mineral cartridges since my Marquis Reward was installed in July. This system works well for me. Bromine doesn't have much of a smell (I noticed last night I couldn't smell it at all & the test strip showed it was at optimal level) and maintenance is minimal.  
They recommend replacing the bromine cartridge every couple of weeks but then I realized it's just a container for bromine tablets. It's cheaper to refill the cartridges. I  now have two cartridges so one is always ready to be switched out.  
I haven't found a substitute for the mineral cartridge but that only gets replaced at the water change.  

To specifically answer your question, don't use the granular bromine, use the bromine tablets. The granular bromine is used to raise the bromine levels immediately. Tablets are to maintain the levels over time.
You'll find refilling the cartridges much cheaper. At first, the cartridges are kind of tough to open. I use a small screwdriver to pry the pieces apart so I can refill them. Inside, there's a small piece about 2" long that acts as a filler - it just takes up space. Throw that away and you'll have more room for additional tablets. This lets the cartridge last a longer. You end up using the two long pieces and the cap. One long piece fits inside the other, fill it with tablets, cap it and - Voilį - longer lasting cartridges!
if any of this is not clear, let me know.

Also, from what I have read here, bromine dissipates in contact with sunlight. You may need to open your cover awhile to bring down the levels. Someone else may have a better suggestion.

Phil

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 02:41:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42