What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help-I have a beige spongy growth on my filters!  (Read 7323 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Help-I have a beige spongy growth on my filter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 09:39:25 pm »
Hey Steve, Just curious...do you ever ask her about any of this stuff on here?  It sounds like she is highly specialized. Ask her if she thinks B. Stearo could possibly cause the growth described. And if she says yes, you have won the trip..since I am retired, I can only consult from my computer!  ::)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 09:39:25 pm »

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 09:49:58 pm »
Hey Steve, Just curious...do you ever ask her about any of this stuff on here?  It sounds like she is highly specialized. Ask her if she thinks B. Stearo could possibly cause the growth described. And if she says yes, you have won the trip..since I am retired, I can only consult from my computer!  ::)

Nope...I did send a water sample once that came back pos for pseudomonas.  But it wasn't confirmed as Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, and some pseudomonas is likely to be found in most tub samples according to the water lab (different area from hers).  Besides, she's to busy researching the flu pandemic, avian flu TB and other stuff to do with this molecular thing.  Her lab is really wowing the docs with the quick / detailed results and fast turnaround :).  Thanks for asking!  I'll mention it to her when I see her...

Steve

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 09:59:29 pm »
Don't bother her, Steve, what she is involved in is far more interesting and important than what we are talking about on here. I am so encouraged by the rapid advances in diagnostics. Hopefully professionals like your wife will put this avian flu scare to bed.  Sounds like she has the kind of job I could only dream of!   ;)

xqqqsme

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 10:13:14 pm »
Consult with my hubby, he says 5/1 bleach solution to disinfect and drain then wipe down with IPA. (I am pretty sure my dealer said it was safe to IPA the shell but spa guys on here could verify that). Realize he is suggesting what he would do to sterilize equipment in the pharmaceutical industry. He thinks it could be bacillus or maybe a mold. I would love to know though!
I think I would also disinfect my dishwasher ???

Bonibelle,  I didn't use the dishwasher, just rinsed out filters and refilled but now I guess I'll have to empty and refill again after I super chlorinate.

Check your email

Thanks XQQQSME

J._McD

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 10:17:05 pm »
Any chance you could take a picture of it? I really don't know if I could be of help, but what you describe is just what I thought might grow in the warm water. I was surprised about Pseudomonas being the worst contaminant (but now that makes sense to me). There are organisms that thrive very well in hot water (some in very very hot water), called thermophiles. The one I have in mind is  bacillus, an organism found in soil etc. As this organism grows, it often forms an almost crusty covering over a slimy glob of colonies. Xqqqsme, Do you by chance live near farms?
It may not be a microorganism at all...but if it is a bicillus organism, it could  be very resistant to disinfection, as it is able to form spores.
If I were you, I would shock and empty and disinfect very well. On the other hand could it just be a glob of lotions oil or make up stuff?

See, I told you the diswasher wan't a good idea. ;)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 07:46:49 am »
Oh, I think I need to clear up my earlier post. My hubby said to disinfect the empty tub with 5/1 bleach solution followed by alcohol. I would really concentrate on the area around the filters and if you have a water fall, there too. I think the guys on here already suggested that you super shock before draining. I am glad that you didn't put the filters in the dishwasher. And I hope you are in a warm weather area and that you are able to do all of this without too much difficulty.
Would one of the dealers on here comment on using the IPA to wipe down the tub? I don't see it being a problem and I am pretty sure my dealer said to do it, but I just want to be sure.  thanks

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 12:52:00 pm »
Oh, I think I need to clear up my earlier post. My hubby said to disinfect the empty tub with 5/1 bleach solution followed by alcohol.

Wow.....now I know why I've enjoyed reading these posts......I agree, bleach 'er up, and have a margarita!
*lol* Okay....well, sidenote from a newbie, has anyone used the tub that's used tinted lotions or got one of those spray-on tans? I could EASILY be wrong, but there's the .000001% chance I might be dead nuts on, for a change.
In a fish tank the algae growths are usually linked to the amount of light provided....but then, in the fish tank I don't use chlorine, bromine, etc....nor do I keep it at 100 degrees, so.....
I'm learning lots here, please keep us informed on your progress!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 12:53:18 pm by Tatooed_Lady »
RIP C-Rod

devilwoman

• Love football, hiking, biking, and photography
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 01:10:36 pm »
I don't know if this will help but when I was using Soft Soak and my ph and AT were out of wack I would get this peanutbuttery substance mostly in the filter reseviour.  Once I got my ph and AT somewhat figured out and used a scum bag, it was a done deal...unless of course the ph and AT would get wacked out.  

I will be changing to Nature2 and dichlor and god only knows what I will run into on this adventure ;) but I am up for the adventure.

Dichlor, N2, Ozone and an Artesian Dove Canyon.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 03:07:17 pm »
Xqqqsme, Where are you? were you able to disinfect and get things up and running again? I guess anything is possible, it could be tons of lotion or tan stuff...I guess that is one of the reasons that our tub is a family only tub!

xqqqsme

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 12:00:38 am »
Xqqqsme, Where are you? were you able to disinfect and get things up and running again? I guess anything is possible, it could be tons of lotion or tan stuff...I guess that is one of the reasons that our tub is a family only tub!

Boniebelle

Sorry about the delay, work took over. I'm real good now. I followed your advice to the T by bleaching the Filter's for 2 hours in 5 to 1 water, swabbed down the tub after draining and super chlorinated. I checked the levels and shocked!  You ROCK! It's been perfect ever since.  Check your messages to see my answer to your questions.

Thanks everyone!

Xqqqsme

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 12:00:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42