What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Metal framed spas  (Read 5314 times)

bvd

Metal framed spas
« on: February 06, 2006, 01:36:49 pm »
Just looked at Master & Colemann today, both have metal framing. Why is this better than wood. It seams that the major spa manufactures are all wood. Another dealer said he would'nt want to be sitting in a metal spa because of the dangers of electrocution. Should there be any concern with sitting in a metal framed spa with all that water & electricity?

Hot Tub Forum

Metal framed spas
« on: February 06, 2006, 01:36:49 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Metal framed spas
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 02:04:24 pm »
Just looked at Master & Colemann today, both have metal framing. Why is this better than wood. It seams that the major spa manufactures are all wood. Another dealer said he would'nt want to be sitting in a metal spa because of the dangers of electrocution. Should there be any concern with sitting in a metal framed spa with all that water & electricity?

No. There should be no concern with sitting in a spa that has a metal frame.  This is BS.

Both are fine assuming they use the correct size framing members. (a 2x4 can actually carry more load than a smaller metal frame).

The bottom line; I think the framing if done correctly is a non issue.  What spas are you looking at?
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 02:17:07 pm »

The bottom line; I think the framing if done correctly is a non issue.  What spas are you looking at?

I hope no one picks a spa because of teh frame material. I know the sales and marketing people have their own spins on these things but listen with a smile and file that in your cerebral circlular filing cabinet.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 02:50:03 pm »
I'd love to hear anyone try to intelligently explain how a metal framed hot tub presents an electrocution risk greater than a wood framed one.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 02:50:29 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 03:04:31 pm »
Wasn't there just a picture posted of a metal framed spa on blocks for repair with disasterous results because someone did not follow procedure, but a wood framed spa supported the same way was OK.

Metal frames may be fine, but IMO they are used because of cost rather than structure.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 03:55:11 pm by tony »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 03:39:49 pm »

I hope no one picks a spa because of teh frame material. I know the sales and marketing people have their own spins on these things but listen with a smile and file that in your cerebral circlular filing cabinet.

And just for clarity...when i said a wood frame can actually carry more "load" I ment that in a structual sense (as in weight distribution) not electrical load.  
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 09:03:04 am »
Wasn't there just a picture posted of a metal framed spa on blocks for repair with disasterous results because someone did not follow procedure, but a wood framed spa supported the same way was OK.  

I think this goes back to an earlier post in this thread which stated that either is ok as long as it is properly engineered and constructed.  Obviously, without structural framing along the base of the tub, the failed tub had nothing but what little strength the bottom offered in that situation.  I would guess the wood framed tub had a better engineered design incorporating support along the bottom.  Therefore, I think it is unfair to generalize metal v. wood in this case.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 09:10:58 am »
Knowing that any metal fixture within 10' of the spa must be properly bonded, I would hope the metal frame is bonded as well. Not that I think it's an issue, but one I might bring to a customers attention when the steel vs. wood frame question comes up in the store.

I'd love to hear anyone try to intelligently explain how a metal framed hot tub presents an electrocution risk greater than a wood framed one.  

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 11:25:10 am »
Knowing that any metal fixture within 10' of the spa must be properly bonded, I would hope the metal frame is bonded as well. Not that I think it's an issue, but one I might bring to a customers attention when the steel vs. wood frame question comes up in the store.

As it would be important to ask if the wood is pressure treated...

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 05:46:26 pm »
Yeah, I don't think I have ever discussed our wooden framed spas WITHOUT the words "pressure treated" preceding "wood support structure."

As it would be important to ask if the wood is pressure treated...

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 07:18:21 pm »
Metal frames may be fine, but IMO they are used because of cost rather than structure.

That was my understanding when they were first introduced .....With all of the recent costs rising I am not sure how much of a savings it is today to the manufacture .....Both can work fine if done right...I would say that the type of material used in spas the wood frames do offer more rigidity but the frames should be fine in either case with each offering a benefit over the other most likely a marketing benefit in the real world both should do fine.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 09:25:31 pm »
Makes me wonder why they haven't come up with some sort of composite plastic type of framing.
No rot or corrosion worries.  I'd bet some suitable material already exists.  Maybe a matter of costs?
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 02:57:32 pm »
Composites don't seem to have a lot of strength at this time for any structural use.  Most are used for trim and of course decking which has support from beneath.

Imatubber

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 08:04:06 pm »
Probably aluminum frame work. Lighter to deliver.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 08:11:03 pm »
The way that tub was set up on blocks like that, it would have failed with ANY structure I'm sure.

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 08:11:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42