What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Easier To Change Water, Than To......  (Read 6638 times)

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
Re: Easier To Change Water, Than To......
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 09:22:27 pm »
In my experience, the people suggesting that they're getting more than 6 months are usually basing it on water clarity which we all know is a mistake.

Actually, if the water is crystal clear and is remaining chemically stable, why should I change it just becase a certain amount of time has elapsed?

As I understand it high levels of TDS's will cloud the water, and make it generally difficult to maintain.

I'm at three months now, two of us have been going in almost daily, there's been a couple parties. New Year's eve really foamed it up - but a lot of skimming, shocking, some clarifier and a filter change cleared it up.

Currently, the water is a dream chemically and visually speaking.
I can't see why I should change it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 09:22:27 pm »

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 09:42:56 pm »
I can see both sides to this.  I use ozone, and believe it to be an added form of "protection" as I do the N2 I use.  Both are what I think of as systems to compliment the dichlor routine I use.  I don't care about the <$10 it costs me to heat a new fill, I'll be changing my water out at 4 months or so, when weather permits even if it is crystal clear.  Maybe I have nothing to gain but peace of mind...easily worth >$10 ;) ...Oh, J_McD., I'm ALWAYS thinking LOL...nice that you thought I was thinking 'cause of what you thought, but I don't think so! ;D

J._McD

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 10:27:14 pm »
I can see both sides to this.  I use ozone, and believe it to be an added form of "protection" as I do the N2 I use.  Both are what I think of as systems to compliment the dichlor routine I use.  I don't care about the <$10 it costs me to heat a new fill, I'll be changing my water out at 4 months or so, when weather permits even if it is crystal clear.  Maybe I have nothing to gain but peace of mind...easily worth >$10 ;) ...Oh, J_McD., I'm ALWAYS thinking LOL...nice that you thought I was thinking 'cause of what you thought, but I don't think so! ;D

Steve, two minds are always better than one. ;)

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 11:00:35 pm »
An interesting thread.  FWIW, this engineer does not micro manage his water.  Rather I use a modicum of common sense and minimal chemicals including ozone, silver ion exchanger, and dichlor.  AND, I change my water every 8 weeks or so.  This is cheap and easy and safe.  

Now, if I live in the frozen north, I admit that like many of you I would be most interested in extending the drain cycle.  But I don't.  

Regards,

Bill

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 11:14:09 pm »
Now, if I live in the frozen north, I admit that like many of you I would be most interested in extending the drain cycle.  But I don't.  

Regards,

Bill

Just gotta keep on rubbin' our noses in that don'tcha ;D.

For what it's worth, there IS something to be said about having a carrot to dangle (like a tropical getaway!) 8)

J._McD

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 11:19:07 pm »
It is truely my belief that we are all entitled to do things the way we wish to do them, regardless of others.  I have monitored, tested and worked with labratories designed to answer questions, and thus I know what 22 years of hands on experience have proven to be and as I know it to be.

I believe we are all individually entitled to do as we wish, but just don't tell me I am wrong unless you can prove to me that all of the analytical minds that I have tested over 22 years have lied and misled me in all of the experiences that we have witnessed, tested, tried to disclaim and in fact have proven to be correct.

I do not for a moment suggest that anyone of you deter from you normal sequence of behavior.  But yet, should you admit there is a dark side to the moon that you can not see?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 11:21:09 pm by J._McD »

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 11:26:44 pm »
huh?
???

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 12:59:03 am »
If you water is crystal clear, and let us assume your TDS were low to non existent, why do you need to change your water?  It appears your ozonator is doing its job.  Ozone does not contribute to TDS count, but may help to reduce them.  Think about it.

Let’s start here. Clarity means nothing. Battery acid is clear. Ozone may not contribute to the TDS though in my understanding of many seminars, tens of thousands of water tests over many years and the honor of a few classes with Dr. Bob Lowry, TDS does not have the capabilities to lower TDS either. Is there data on this?

I would agree, in this industry it is not recommended and the norm is what the dealer tells you.  Water is H2O, nothing more nothing less.  TDS are what is added to the H2O. This is where, I would suggest that people do a TDS sampling prior to draining their Hot tub.

The “norm” is what safety is all about and the reason why there are specific regulations in place for safe bathing practices given a precise measurement of sanitizer in the water. Let’s not cloud the facts here with suggestions of a misguided dealer!!  The “dealers” don’t make this stuff up. Ozone is not considered a sanitizer in my opinion though it can assist a thorough sanitizer regime. I have never been shown documentation that support the fact that ozone can safely be used as a stand alone product for pools or spas.

A mistake? Maybe for some yes, but a simple TDS analysis will tell the truth.  You are right, no product will reduce TDS, only add to it, but ozone does not produce TDS and does contribute to breaking it down to be filtered out.

The clear fact remains that water with a TDS reading of over 1500ppm should be drained. The reason is that the water has become saturated and the products in the water for sanitizing it and maintaining a safe environment can not do its job effectively after this reading. Again, this isn’t something made up by dealers but instead, this is from data taken from every safety organization in spa water care.

Skepticism is an attitude marked by a tendency to doubt what others accept to be true.  Many, at one time, where skeptical about open heart surgery, today it has become a common practice.

And we’ve put men on the moon. I don’t understand your point? Skepticism will always remain so until proven data can support it otherwise. You are 100% correct that I don’t have data but now I ask this of you to support your theory. I’m assuming after 22 years of study, that you have data to support the fact that ozone can be used exclusively to maintain spa water safely as well as data showing how the use of ozone can actually lower TDS?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 12:59:28 am »

Ozone, I have spoken of it before, but this industry has the belief that chemicals are the solution and ozone is not reliable, nor can it be measured.

You call it a “belief”. Again do you have data to support otherwise and clearly contradict what all safety organizations have had in place for many years?

I have seen it posted here before on this web where people have had long term water, up to a year, and when their ozonator went out, the water turned to crap over night.

I’d say that’s a bit dramatic and yes, very inaccurate.

I begin to wonder why. I see some here have begun to do the math on the cost of heat, maybe some should measure TDS before water change to become more aware, rather than (how does that advertisement say it) “follow the crowd, follow the crowd”.

I don’t believe anyone was suggesting to “follow the crowd”. I have always clearly stated that good dealer support for water care is essential. This includes the regular testing of TDS to assure that the water is being drained at 1500TDS or less.  

I have been challenged and criticized for my statements and support of ozone, as being a very viable sanitizer and oxidizer, and some of the results that can appeal to the Hot Tub consumer.  But it is standard and considered the norm in this industry that chemicals can be measured, applied, accumulated and dumped, to start fresh generating an endless cycle.

You have an opinion and that’s great. To suggest it’s a safe way to care for the water chemistry of a spa is precarious and irresponsible to the consumer. When someone suggests a method of water care that diverts from clear safety regulations, it would be obtuse and insensible to not question that I believe. That’s all I’m doing. If I were to suggest that you could use your spa safely at 110 degrees for hours at a time, would you not question that?

I am not a microbiologist or any other form of scientific expert, and I profit nothing for espousing the use or application of ozone, but I do have a long history in this business at the grass roots of applications with over 3,000 customers, who have taught me what I have learned from them.  Everybody else refers back to the industry standard, the norm and even the public health department.  

Who benefits most from the use of ozone, not me.

All I ask for is data to support your theory. If I were a customer and you tried to suggest this to me after using an alternate method, I would ask for some details which I’m assuming you could provide. Keep in mind that the alternate method is a recognized method supported by all regulators of this industry. You are in a position to support your theory as it is YOU that is suggesting otherwise. Not I.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 12:59:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42