What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: PH/TA Conflicted !?!  (Read 3210 times)

highlander85

• Soak N Go!
PH/TA Conflicted !?!
« on: January 29, 2006, 02:54:47 pm »
  :-/ SOS!!!   Took delivery of our first tub two months ago, (2005 Jaquzzi 365) and have noticed the water has taken on  a clear green tinge a couple of weeks ago.  From the limited "Spa Gaurd" manual that came with the start-up kit it hints to a possible low PH/TA & low calcuim hardness.  (We've well water known for Iron/Manganese in the area) I've been using "Biogaurd" 4-way test strips and they "seem to" be pointing to hi PH/TA.  I've no way to test Calcuim hardness as of yet.  I say "seem to"  because my test strip for PH is pink and TA is blue and neither color is on the chart.  PH runs from Orange (Low) to Reddish Orange (High) and TA runs from Yellow (Very Low) to dark green (High)  On the odd chance that the test strips had become corrupted I bought another bottle and get the same results.  Since my test strips PH & TA color results seem to match closer to the high end I've added 5oz of SPA Down (1oz per 1/2 hour w/ pumps running) with no change in test results.  I even put new filters in yesterday.  The local "Experts" are closed until Tuesday so I turn to the collective expertise here.  I'm real close to just pulling the plug and draining the tub and starting from scratch.  I remember reading a post suggesting Newbies drain after the first month recently, but now I can't find it.

Anxiously a waiting your suggestions................. ??? :-/

Hot Tub Forum

PH/TA Conflicted !?!
« on: January 29, 2006, 02:54:47 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re:  PH/TA Conflicted !?!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 03:27:40 pm »
Although a little less newbie than you. Chas' Law is that you should drain after 1 month of usage and start fresh.

But since you have Iron/Manganese  in well water, this may be where the color is comming from. You don't say anything about treating the water for it. Everything I've read states to add some "metal gone" product when you add water. (Sorry, I don't have a metal in the water problem).

You need to get off test strips and pick up a Taylor Test Kit. As far as PH/TA, worry about PH, this is more important IMO. Also, high sanitizer can alter any reading, so make sure your sanitizer is not in "shock" mode.

Other than that, I would say that the cheapest, quickest and best chemical would be water.

I hope this helps!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 03:47:28 pm »
I think you need to first find out what your Alkalinity, PH, and Calcium levels are. Do you have a Leslie's or another pool store near you? They should be able to give you accurate readings and then you can make changes to your water. It sounds like you are guessing now.

Long term, I would suggest getting a Taylor test kit so  you can obtain accurate readings yourself. Some people on this board have had luck with test strips but I personally don't like them.

Even if you dump the water, you will still need a better method to test your water otherwise you will have the same problem in the future.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1133849667;start=9
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 01:45:02 pm »
If it were me, I would test with your strips and then get a computer test at a pool supply store, which is normally free.  Then you will have an idea how close your strips are as well as directions as to what you need to add and how much.

highlander85

• Soak N Go!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 07:04:03 pm »
Thanks for the tips all.  I drained/refilled yesterday PM and had a look at the Taylor Test Kit website.  Think I'm going to go that route, will shop around the area to see who carries them or order O/L.

Thanks again.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 07:04:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42