What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Does Renew drop fCl levels?  (Read 2221 times)

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
Does Renew drop fCl levels?
« on: January 29, 2006, 01:57:09 pm »
I'm still getting used to the chemistry stuff with the spa. I shocked the system with about 6 tablespoons of Renew this morning and left the cover open for about 30 minutes. I had not run a test in awhile so I used the test strip. Free chlorine levels were non-existant and pH had dropped. Is that normal?
Having just put the Renew in, if I've got this right, I should not need to put in Spa56 diclor, for awhile? Will pH adjust itself when I use the diclor, or do I need to do something to bring it up. (I don't have any spare Spa-up chemicals so I'll have to buy some)

thanks!
BearBath

Hot Tub Forum

Does Renew drop fCl levels?
« on: January 29, 2006, 01:57:09 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Does Renew drop fCl levels?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 03:40:13 pm »
Did you test for chlorine before you added Renew? What was it?

If Renew has MPS then it will drop the PH. MPS has a PH of 4 I think so it will drop the PH if quickly if the TA is on the low side.

As far as bringing the PH up, use baking soda - it works great!

It sounds like Renew doesn't contain chlorine. Some people use MPS before using their tub particularly with Nature 2.  If this is what you do and are satisfied with your results then continue.

Some people add chlorine after they use their tub (some even before they get in) and use MPS as a weekly or biweekly shock. If this is what you want to do then wait until you go in and either throw in before or after you soak.

My opinion is that I wouldn't wait too long before you put in chlorine as MPS doesn't kill bacteria.

** I just came back from the LT website and Renew is buffered not to drop the PH.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 03:55:08 pm by Vinny »

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 06:20:22 pm »
I did not test for Chlorine ahead of time. I just do a weekly MPS with the Renew. I'll use your advice with baking soda to up the pH. Seems better than buying a new chemical!
Thanks
BearBath

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 06:20:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42