What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lifting edge of empty tub.  (Read 12598 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Lifting edge of empty tub.
« on: January 22, 2006, 11:55:36 am »
Our tub hasn't moved since its installation 3 years ago.  It's 92" x92" and it holds 425 gallons. I think I remember it is 700 pounds dry. Anyone lifted an edge of their tub to put a mounting bracket underneath?  We bought a spa umbrella with a mounting bracket and I don't have any idea how many people it will take to lift it one on side, empty of course, to get that bracket under. Is it hard to lift without it sliding?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Lifting edge of empty tub.
« on: January 22, 2006, 11:55:36 am »

socal

• so it begins
Re: Lifting edge of empty tub.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 12:05:22 pm »
my buddy/co-worker can lift 1 side of the Reward (Marquis tub) with a little grunting. its about 750lbs.
to be on the safe side though (not everyone is an ex body builder/cage fighter) you might want 2-3 people.
id suggest all 3 lift the corner and while 2 hold it up, the 3rd puts something under the side to hold it up, like a 2x4 or bricks so you can mount the bracket w/o having to keep the thing in the air. but im sure you already thought about that  ;D
Marquis dealer

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:19:50 pm »
I understand you are trying to mount a bracket, but why do you need to "lift" the tub?  Won't the bracket just slide under the tub and the weight of the tub hold it in place?

If that is the case, take a 2x4 with a block and use them as a block and lever lifting the spa a couple of inches.  If it needs to go higher, block it up and reposition the lever to lift again placing a larger block.

But how high do you have to go?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 02:41:14 pm »
Lifting WITHOUT sliding is a good point. When people lift something large, like a spa, they'll tend to push into it as well. You should only need to lift it about 1/2" to slide the bracket under. I'd try a flat bar (small flat pry bar AKA wonder bar). One person should be able to step on the lat bar, lifting the spa, while another slides the bracket under.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 02:43:09 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 02:43:45 pm »
the 3rd puts something under the side to hold it up, like a 2x4 or bricks so you can mount the bracket w/o having to keep the thing in the air. but im sure you already thought about that  

Actually I hadn't, but I knew I could count on the experiences here before starting.

but why do you need to "lift" the tub?  Won't the bracket just slide under the tub and the weight of the tub hold it in place?

Boy, I don't know,  I haven't even considered this till now. There has been no reason to consider this till now. The tub has only been empty for a total of perhaps an hour or so in the 3 years we have had it.   But I'll have these words to remember when the umbrella arives.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 02:47:37 pm »
Lifting WITHOUT sliding is a good point. When people lift something large, like a spa, they'll tend to push into it as well. You should only need to lift it about 1/2" to slide the bracket under. I'd try a flat bar (small flat pry bar AKA wonder bar). One person should be able to step on the lat bar, lifting the spa, while another slides the bracket under.

Thanks Doc, I'll probably pick one of those up. I'll probably be doing this again when my current cover lifter breaks, I'll probably buy one with hydraulics that have brackets under the tub.

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 03:02:32 pm »
thats why we are here (i think) to give ideas that ya might not have thought about. of course doc's idea seems easier than mine  ;D
Marquis dealer

Kelly

• Hot Springs Accolade!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 08:21:35 am »
Not that I've ever tried it, but just a thought on using a pry bar. Wouldn't the weight of the tub, concentrated on such an small area (width of the pry bar) damage the tub's lower edge and/or cabinet?

What about placing two or three bars side by side to disperse the weight before lifting?

My installers had a cobbled-together tool that looked like a 12" wide, thick bladed hoe with a metal handle they used to pry up the tub when shimming.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 08:26:08 am »
Bill-

Shame on you for not owning a wonder bar.  Once you have one around, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.  

Kelly's idea might be worth a thought- get a couple of these things and spread them out a little bit.  

Brewman

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 08:45:15 am »
I had one of those umbrellas that slid under the spa - it was installed when the spa was delivered.  It never worked though - it wouldn't swivel at all.  So when I drained the spa the first time I took it out - of course my husband was working that morning so I was on my own - but I managed,  without having to lift the spa at all.

Took it back to the spa store for refund - it was then that we were told there were lots of problems with those umbrellas.  Hope yours is manufactured better!!!!

Susan

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 09:35:18 am »
At the price we paid, it better be. My wife Gina made the purchase, but it looks like a solid construction. I'll see if I can find their website.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 10:23:28 am »
I'm curious, if one of the small pry bars would give enough leverage?  

I think you want one of these: (check local tool rental shops)

07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 10:37:32 am »
I'm curious, if one of the small pry bars would give enough leverage?  

I think you want one of these: (check local tool rental shops)

Good point, that device as pictured should have good leverage, I'll check the home depot's rental department, but that looks like it shouldn't be too expensive. I wonder if it might cause the tub to slide, but I shouldn't need to lift too far and could put a steady-ing person on the other side.

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 12:09:42 pm »
At the price we paid, it better be. My wife Gina made the purchase, but it looks like a solid construction. I'll see if I can find their website.

Well, ours was $400.00.  Was yours more than that???

Susan

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 12:14:02 pm »
Just do what we do and hire some day laborers.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 12:14:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42