What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Slightly Cloudy Water, but water tests perfect  (Read 5111 times)

Brookenstein

Slightly Cloudy Water, but water tests perfect
« on: January 04, 2006, 11:15:33 am »
My water has been slightly cloudy since I returned from vacation. I have no foam, but there seems to be a small bit of something on the surface of the water (oils maybe).  My PH and ALK were perfect the 2 times I've checked.  I rinsed my filters last week and that didn't make  difference.  I actually thought the water looked worse after my weekly shock of MPS and adding spa defender (stain &scale remover).

The water doesn't look that bad, in fact my husband thinks it looks 'perfect'.  It just doesn't look as clear as it did the first week we owned it.  

BTW, I talked to my neighbor yesterday.  They used the tub twice while we were gone and used Dichlor after use.  He then continued to check on it daily and added 1tsp of dichlor.  He said it was very cloudy while we were gone so a couple of times he added a couple tsp, but it didn't make a difference and he didn't want to over chlorinate so he went back to the 1tsp a day.

Should I let it be or should I try and do something about it?

Hot Tub Forum

Slightly Cloudy Water, but water tests perfect
« on: January 04, 2006, 11:15:33 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Slightly Cloudy Water, but water tests perfect
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 11:35:59 am »
I find once in a while my water gets a haze to it.  It looks good, but just not perfect.  I use 2 oz of Leisure Time Bright and Clear and by the next day it sparkles.  It is the only time I use a floculant/coagulant.  I use the LT product, but there are other manufacturers that will do the same job.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 01:58:17 pm by tony »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 12:26:19 pm »
I find once in a while my water gets a haze to it.  It looks good, but just not perfect.  I use 2 oz of Leisure Time Bright and Clear and by the next day it sparkles.  It is the only time I use a floculant/coagulant.  I use the LT product, but there are manufacturers that will do the same job.

I'd first try to hit it hard with some chlorine (leave cover open with jets on for 10 minutes) but if you feel you've done that the Bright and Clear is a good next step. Keep in mind with that you are adding something that acts like a coagulant to latch on to the particulates and allow the filter to grab hold of them so it's always good to clean your filters good after using it (if you've cleaned them good just before adding it I'd at least rinse off the circ pump filter again).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 12:45:05 pm »
Couple of chemical questions and other things...

Is it okay to add everything at once (during weekly routine) or should you only add one at a time?  If one at a time, how much time inbetween?

At the end of the night after use, do I need to leave the cover open for the 10 minutes after I put the dichlor in?  I've been throwing it in when I get out then putting the cover on and going to bed.

Do I ever need to check my Chlorine level or just the PH/ALK?  I know that the dichlor dissipates quickly, so when is the propper time to test it?

I don't think I have any Bright and Clear (or similiar) so I will have to pick some up if it doesnt get better on its own.  

I just added a good amount of dichlor and will see what happens.  I also put one of those scum sponges in.

tootsie

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 01:30:34 pm »
brook,  I just went through this problem of cloudy water and did what spatech said to do, however I used a some kind of clarifier, not bright and clear, and it took 2+ days to get the cloudiness out.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 01:36:51 pm »
when I first filled my spa this last time, it tested perfectly but was also a little cloudy. I had trepidation about adding clarifier, but after doing so, never ever regretted it. It's amazing, the gunk that is pulled from the water with clarifier.

As Spatech said, definitely clean the filters after the clarifier has done it's job, as all of that stuff will be in the filter -- and it can mess up the filter if it stays too long.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 01:43:02 pm »
I don't think I have any Bright and Clear (or similiar) so I will have to pick some up if it doesnt get better on its own.  

Maybe you have a clarifier by a different name? It's always good to have a bottle on hand (though you hope it collects dust) so whomever gave you your chemical tutorial probably should have included it. The chlorine just may do the trick after wating 24 hrs though so hold off going out to buy some clarifier.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 03:44:13 pm »
Couple of chemical questions and other things...

Is it okay to add everything at once (during weekly routine) or should you only add one at a time?  If one at a time, how much time inbetween?

At the end of the night after use, do I need to leave the cover open for the 10 minutes after I put the dichlor in?  I've been throwing it in when I get out then putting the cover on and going to bed.

Do I ever need to check my Chlorine level or just the PH/ALK?  I know that the dichlor dissipates quickly, so when is the propper time to test it?

I just added a good amount of dichlor and will see what happens.  I also put one of those scum sponges in.

Since nobody else has answered you yet, I'll give it a shot.  Keeping in mind I don't use dichlor, but bromine.

I've heard that you should leave the cover open and pumps running after you dose your spa with dichlor, to minimize damage to your cover and pillows.

I'd think you want to monitor your chlorine, just to be sure you have an adequate amount to sanitize, and not too much to enter the spa.  I'd think that after you establish a regular pattern, you could keep the testing to a minimum.  But keeping PH and alk in range is a good idea regardless of the sanitation method, IMHO.

Have you read the essay on Doc's website by Vermonter?  If I ever switch over to dichlor, which I'm seriously considering right now, I think I'd follow his method.  It's a very interesting read- so if you haven't read it yet- I'd recommend you do.

Brewman

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 11:10:18 pm »
Brook,

Have you changed out your water yet?  Chas and some others recommend changing out the water in a new (to you) spa after a month or so.  I let mine go about three weeks because my water got cloudy also.

Also, once you get your ozone installed it will be much better.  I added the Freshwater ozone and a N2 cartridge and my water is crystal clear every day.  No more scum to clean off. It made a huge difference for me.

I would personally dump the water and start over.  Water's the cheapest thing you can buy for your spa.....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brookenstein

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 11:26:39 pm »
I really don't see any reason to dump and refill as the water looks fine, just not perfect if that makes sense.  I wasn't micromanaging the chemicals, so I'm not real concerned that I overloaded it or anything.  Besides the 3 weeks I was gone, I wouldn't have done anything differently, so unless it gets worse, I'll just leave it for now.

I put some clarifier in it today, so we'll see how it looks tomorrow.

I've had the ozone installed and started using the N2, since about a week of ownership.  When I cleaned my filters again today, I pulled out the N2 cartridge.... it looks like crap.  The top part (if holding it just like it comes out of the tub) with the balls looks all coroded and nasty.  The bottom part looks fine, but the silver is already gone.  I tried rinsing it (the coroded looking section) with my spray nosel hose and it didn't make a difference.

BTW Gombo, did you survive the nasty weather okay?  We woke up Monday to our back fence being gone and now those neighbors have a lovely view of our house/tub (they are on a slope above us).  So this weekend I get to finish the side fence, then go talk to the back neighbors about building another.  Fun, fun.  So glad it was 85+ today, a nice change.   :)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 11:50:57 pm »
I've had the ozone installed and started using the N2, since about a week of ownership.  When I cleaned my filters again today, I pulled out the N2 cartridge.... it looks like crap.  The top part (if holding it just like it comes out of the tub) with the balls looks all coroded and nasty.  The bottom part looks fine, but the silver is already gone.  I tried rinsing it (the coroded looking section) with my spray nosel hose and it didn't make a difference.

LOL, I know what you mean but you don't want to actually rinse off the N2 cartrdige while rinsing filters. When the 4 months comes around and it's time to put a new one in you'll find all that "corroded" looking stuff is gone from teh old one naturally.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 02:09:16 am »
OK, I take that back then.  I was thinking you didn't have ozone yet for some reason.  My water used to get ugly without it. My bad. What ozone system did you install?  

It was a little windy but nothing too bad here. Have fun building the fence.  Do you have a sister? ;D

I really don't see any reason to dump and refill as the water looks fine, just not perfect if that makes sense.  I wasn't micromanaging the chemicals, so I'm not real concerned that I overloaded it or anything.  Besides the 3 weeks I was gone, I wouldn't have done anything differently, so unless it gets worse, I'll just leave it for now.

I put some clarifier in it today, so we'll see how it looks tomorrow.

BTW Gombo, did you survive the nasty weather okay?  We woke up Monday to our back fence being gone and now those neighbors have a lovely view of our house/tub (they are on a slope above us).  So this weekend I get to finish the side fence, then go talk to the back neighbors about building another.  Fun, fun.  So glad it was 85+ today, a nice change.   :)

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brookenstein

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 10:47:57 am »
I added some clarifier mid afternoon yesterday.  When I soaked last night... FOAM.  Ugh!  I just checked the water and it looks the same as it did yesterday.  So the clarifier did nothing but give me foam, fun fun.  I'm running the clean cycle right now, then will do my weekly chemicals in a few.  Later today or tomorrow I will reclean the filters.  I think I will actually use filter cleaner this time, then the hose, then a quick rinse in the dishwasher.

I'm beginning to think my expectations of crystal clear water were too much and I shoulda left well enough alone.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 10:51:44 am »
Drain it.  Don't fall into the trap of adding chemical after chemical to do what?  Make the water more natural?  Water is cheap and it sounds like ya'll have been getting plenty in California.  Drain it, refill it, enjoy it! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 11:06:55 am »

Do I ever need to check my Chlorine level or just the PH/ALK? I know that the dichlor dissipates quickly, so when is the propper time to test it?

When you bought your spa, did your dealer ever go over any of the chemicals with you?  (forgive me if you bought your spa used or had issues with your dealer, I don't usually keep up with that stuff)

You DEFINITELY need to check your chlorine.  Your chlorine is the only thing you can count on to keep your spa sanitary.  After adding the chlorine, check it 5-10 minutes later to see if you get a 3-5ppm reading.  If you don't keep adding until you get to that reading.  If you do not get it up to that level, you are doing yourself a disservice by just tossing in small amounts of chlorine.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 11:06:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42