What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Consumer Reports Response  (Read 4095 times)

J._McD

Consumer Reports Response
« on: January 09, 2006, 02:59:21 pm »
Dear Mr. J. McD

Thanks for taking the time to contact Consumer Reports(r).  It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers!

Unfortunately, we haven't yet reported on hot tubs/spas, and therefore, do not have any information to offer you at this time.  However, I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate staffers for their review and consideration for a possible future report.  From correspondence like yours, we get a first hand feel of the type of information our readers need.

Although we're affiliated in no way, to possibly obtain the information you are looking for, you may wish to contact the National Spa and Pool Institute, 2111 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22314, phone:
1-703-838-0083, fax: 1-703-549-0493, URL: www.nspi.org.  The NSPI are members of the spa and pool industry who are concerned with public and residential swimming pools, spas and hot tubs.  Their goals are to raise spa and pool industry standards, expand interest and the use of swimming pools, spas and hot tubs, and to achieve uniformity in federal, state, and local regulations affecting swimming pool, spa, and hot tub operations.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.  Your interest in our work is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jason Jaworski
Customer Relations Representative

Hot Tub Forum

Consumer Reports Response
« on: January 09, 2006, 02:59:21 pm »

Anoroc

Re: Consumer Reports Response
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 09:56:27 pm »
If we all wrote letters to Consumers Reports perhaps they may be persuaded to do a report on spas.  I wonder.....

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:14:39 pm »
I sent mine, now you send yours.  The more the better.  I have just added AARP to my list.  If we did this over time we could start a trend, after all Hot Tubs have been around a long time and they are long over due to have some outside input.

How do you start something like that?  There is no money in it to do so.  

E-mail doesn't cost anything, so just send an inquiry.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:16:33 pm by J._McD »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 11:00:11 pm »
Never hurts to try and ask.  I just purchased a subscription to their magazine.  I'll send along a request too.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 11:00:32 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 07:47:27 am »
J._McD,
I've tried to send them email before but was never able to come up with an email address for CR.
Where did you send it to?

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Anoroc

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 08:02:52 am »
Ok, I'm in.  I will send a letter or and email and I will let you know if I get a response.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 08:08:19 am »
Consumer Reports is my first source for info on anything that I buy. I was disappointed that they had nothing about hot tubs when I first started shopping, but I figured it was probably because it was a high dollar item that was marketed to a limited amount of people. I also subscribe on line and take part in some of the surveys and consumer ratings. (And my claim to fame was having my evaluation of digital cameras in an issue) I will also email them. I think part of the problem with evaluating hot tubs, just as we see on here, is that it is hard to compare apples to apples as each company has unique features, configurations, filtration systems, ect. Consumer reports also likes to present repair histories and that would be difficult to compile information.  Would you base it on things like pump repairs, seal failures, ozonator problems? Try to imagine the parameters that a study of the quality of spas would include. Maybe we can do our own kind of evaluation, no stars, no accolades, just straight information. In the end, I am willing to bet the customer will be right where everyone on here sends them..to the wet test!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 08:23:39 am »
I used to be a big fan of Consumer Reports until I actually tried to buy something they rated as best.  It seems that by the time they get to publication most of the the models they tested are no longer being produced.  

What's the use of finding out which gizmo is the best if you can’t buy that gizmo any longer?
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 08:56:18 am »
This is true, particularly with items where the technology is changing faster than the speed of light.
I use Consumer Reports repair history to decide which appliances to buy. The models change, but you hope that the companies are still building the same quality.
Consumer Reports also points out different features  allows you to compare.   The glossary helps you to understand some of the newer things and you can decide if they are a priority on the item you want to buy. I don't know how any one could test and compile information, much of it based on the performance history of an item, and be more up to date.
Our local news station (Fox) does a Consumer Reports segment and often they show the labs and the tests involved in product evaluation. It's pretty interesting stuff. I would like to see the experienced folks on here make a list of items for evaluation. What exactly are the things that a consumer should undertand and look specifically for. Can there be a database of repair history if a particular manufacturer uses different vendors to supply pumps or heaters or ozonators?
I really think that time spent on this forum, where so much information is fed in from dealers, consumers and sales folks is the best way to evaluate a spa. Knowing the right questions to ask when shopping and understanding all the options helps make you the educated consumer, and ultimatley the satisfied customer.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 09:40:06 am »
J._McD,
I've tried to send them email before but was never able to come up with an email address for CR.
Where did you send it to?

Phil

I started on their web site, www.consumerreports.org/cro/home.htm, went to customer service at top, clicked on "Find Answers", #5 Contact Consumer Reports, Send us an e-mail

I would suppose if they had enough inquiries would demonstrate a need to clarify the depth of confusion related to shopping for a Hot Tub.

I would definitely believe more than 60% of the shoppers in the looking for a Hot Tub, "The Silver Set",  are members of AARP.  This would be a good area to persue as well.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 11:45:08 am »
Like many others here, I have been a subscriber and reader of Consumer Reports for many years.  Over 35 years actually.  While I do read their evaluations and recommendations, it is only one resource and not one that I would rely on absolutely.  CU has many biases.  They tend to like low price and would recommend a lower priced product over a higher priced one, even in cases where the higher priced product is demonstrably superior.  A recent example involved red wines.  One of their highest recommendations went to a wine that many of us tried and unanimously agreed was only fit for cooking.  Another example of their bias, that is almost infamous, involves cars.  In general they favor Japanese brands over all others.  They have never found a Toyota they didn't favor. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the reader understands the bias and recognizes that cars from other countries have merit too.  

The way they test loudspeakers illustrates another aspect of the CU testing methodology that is questionable.  They tend to attempt to find ways to measure quantitatively aspects of performance that do not lend themselves to quantitative analysis.  They are very clever at draping what must, in the final analysis, be subjective opinion in the clothes of scientific analysis. Their quasi-science in this area has lead to some very nebulous conclusions.  Read their explanation of how they measure speaker "accuracy" to see what I mean.

I conclusion, while I too, would very much be interested in reading a CU test report on spas, it would not surprise me if the results were not very useful.  Some aspects of spas are quite subjective and not easily measured.  This is not an area of strength for CU.  On the other hand, it would be interesting to learn more about reliability for different brands, and that is something that CU does very well.

Regards,

Bill  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 11:50:51 am by Bill_Stevenson »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 11:52:09 am »
Well said, Bill.  It would be very intesting to see the reaction to theresults of any kind of test by CR or similar, especially if they knocked some of the bigger brands.  It'd be neat to see them try tests, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 11:52:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42